• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare getting Dragon Age: Inquisition playtesters, asks about ME3 Multi experience

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gee I wonder why they're asking about this... (lol)

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QP9PTWZ
Source: https://twitter.com/DiscoBabaloo/status/430792153871433728

Note: They ask about a lot of other things also, this isn't only about multiplayer.

BioWare said:
Please complete the following survey completely and honestly to apply to participate in our Dragon Age Inquisition playtests next week. We're looking for a variety of participants, from hardcore fans to players that have never played the series!
BioWare said:
13. Please rate your experience with each title below. We will be recruiting based on a variety of experience, from diehard fans to new players!

-Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer (listed separately from ME3)
BioWare said:
21. If you played Mass Effect 3, please tell us about your experience with the multiplayer aspect of the game.

-I didn't play Mass Effect 3
-I didn't like that it was there
-I didn't play it, but didn't care that it was there
-I played it for a short time
-I played it for a while
-I played quite a bit of it
BioWare said:
22. Please indicate the importance to you of each game element in games you play. We'll be recruiting for a variety of gameplay preferences!

-I can play against other people online (Rate 1-5)
-I can play cooperatively with other people online (Rate 1-5)
[Note: Everything else in this section is already a confirmed gameplay feature.]

Also they put out a new screenshot teaser for their upcoming dev diaries:

Bfp6ubiIMAA621a.jpg:large

Honestly I would be fine if they treated DAI like ME3.
Horde co-op mutiplayer, free maps, and paid SP expansions.
I saw nothing wrong with it in Me3 and I see nothing wrong with it here.

While I'd like to keep an open mind, adding multiplayer to a Dragon Age game just isn't the same as Mass Effect.

I disagree switch it around and it works fine. Instead of fighting in an arena your moving through a dungeon that ends in a boss. Rip dungeons from the SP, scale based on player level/difficulty, and bam mutiplayer done.

Valnen

Coop stuff great, competitive crap hell no.

Agreed. I'd play the hell out of this if it's co-op like Mass Effect 3. I have about 14 hours logged on ME3 multiplayer and I feel like I'm just getting started.

But competitive? Fuck that noise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Coop stuff great, competitive crap hell no.

Agreed. I'd play the hell out of this if it's co-op like Mass Effect 3. I have about 14 hours logged on ME3 multiplayer and I feel like I'm just getting started.

But competitive? Fuck that noise.

I imagine it'd be competitive within the scope of the co-op mode.

For example, one of the early rumors about this project was that in something akin to the horde mode from ME3, a player could play as a dragon on the other side.

Evo_Nine

Banned
I loved ME3 multiplayer co-op

clocked up 300 hours of gameplay

I will be a very very happy chap if they incorporate this into dragon age.

x-Lundz-x

I imagine it'd be competitive within the scope of the co-op mode.

For example, one of the early rumors about this project was that in something akin to the horde mode from ME3, a player could play as a dragon on the other side.

I would hope devs would move beyond horde modes at this point. Let me play story based missions with my buds as others said. Give me a great single player RPG which I'm sure they will, and if they are going to add an online mode make it story based and coop centric.

A left 4 dead type horde mode where group of fighters take down a player controller dragon just sounds dumb, at least to me. Give me story missions! :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would hope devs would move beyond horde modes at this point. Let me play story based missions with my buds as others said. Give me a great single player RPG which I'm sure they will, and if they are going to add an online mode make it story based and coop centric.

A left 4 dead type horde mode where group of fighters take down a player controller dragon just sounds dumb, at least to me. Give me story missions! :)

They were trying story co-op with ME3, but ran into technical issues.

Since DA:I is cross-gen and they've been talking up how much they loved ME3's multi, I'm kind of expecting it to not be campaign co-op.

That said, if we turn the clock back further than that, they did imply they were interested in campaign co-op for the Dragon Age series. I'm just not convinced it will happen before DA4 when they drop current-gen.

x-Lundz-x

They were trying story co-op with ME3, but ran into technical issues.

Since DA:I is cross-gen and they've been talking up how much they loved ME3's multi, I'm kind of expecting it to not be campaign co-op.

That said, if we turn the clock back further than that, they did imply they were interested in campaign co-op for the Dragon Age series. I'm just not convinced it will happen before DA4 when they drop current-gen.

Campaign coop would be incredible but I can see how that might be an issue on last gen hardware. I just hope whatever it ends up being its a tangible online mode and not something tacked on for the sake of having it. And I will admit I did like ME3s mode for a while. Prob put 20 hours into it.

Valnen

Campaign co-op is cool and all but I find it lacks the endless replayability of horde/objective based modes.

In an ideal game we'd have both.

Coming off of the train wreck of a game/RPG that was Dragon Age 2, I'd hope BioWare just focuses on the basics before trying to add in coop or competitive multiplayer that no one is asking for. That's not forgetting they're trying to do this all on a new engine.

I still don't really see how multiplayer would work well with Dragon Age's combat system. Mass Effect it made sense being a third person shooter. The only way to do it for Dragon Age would be to likely make the combat more fast paced and button mashing, not the pause and play style.

Valnen

Coming off of the train wreck of a game/RPG that was Dragon Age 2, I'd hope BioWare just focuses on the basics before trying to add in coop or competitive multiplayer that no one is asking for. That's not forgetting they're trying to do this all on a new engine..

After ME3 I'm very much asking for it.

Nonentity

Good. The multiplayer was the best part of Mass Effect 3, hands down. Legitimately challenging cooperative content.

In theory this could be fun. I was skeptical about ME3's multiplayer and it was an absolute blast with friends. My only fear is they are pushing the combat system even further into action instead of RPG, even more so than DA2.

SerRodrik

Coming off of the train wreck of a game/RPG that was Dragon Age 2, I'd hope BioWare just focuses on the basics before trying to add in coop or competitive multiplayer that no one is asking for. That's not forgetting they're trying to do this all on a new engine.

I still don't really see how multiplayer would work well with Dragon Age's combat system. Mass Effect it made sense being a third person shooter. The only way to do it for Dragon Age would be to likely make the combat more fast paced and button mashing, not the pause and play style.

Exactly. They have to prove that they can still even make a competent single player campaign before tacking on unnecessary additions. I can't imagine everyone that was burned by Dragon Age 2 will be persuaded to come back for another by "Hey, we've got multiplayer now. I mean, that's what DA2 was really missing, right?"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Judging by some slides DICE put up about asset management in Frostbite, Dragon Age: Inquisition's team has around 400+ people contributing, so this would be a pretty small amount of total resources.

Also the original press release listed BioWare Montreal as also working on the content, so I imagine it's the same people who made ME3's multiplayer (at least at first).

Well, judging by the newest videos, they turned the action way up.

You have dodge rolls, multiple skills without cooldowns, and things like shields actually block all damage unless you knock/pull them away or dodge roll behind them as opposed to increasing armor.

It looks pretty functional to play it as a single character these days.

Malreyn

I didn't care about multiplayer in me3, namely because I was playing on xbox without a gold account...I didn't like the fact that I couldn't actually achieve the "best possible" ending without playing multi or buy and play their infiltrator game on iOS. (Later fixed in a patch months later)

That said, it's fine if people want it in the game, just don't screw over any aspect of single player by forcing people to play multiplayer...keep it separate

royox

I didn't care about multiplayer in me3, namely because I was playing on xbox without a gold account...I didn't like the fact that I couldn't actually achieve the "best possible" ending without playing multi or buy and play their infiltrator game on iOS. (Later fixed in a patch months later)

That said, it's fine if people want it in the game, just don't screw over any aspect of single player by forcing people to play multiplayer...keep it separate

But that's not true. You could get the "best possible" ending withouth the Multiplayer. But playing almost the 100% of the game plus sidequests.

I did it. Pre extended cut of course.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I kind of expect they won't do that again given they changed it in a patch.

Marvel

could never
Sword wielding bro-op in Dragon Age? yes please. ME3 MP was awesome, DA could be too just without the guns, obviously.

Lautaro

Well, the multi in M3 was great (short lived because it was repetitive but great).

But Dragon Age is NOT Mass Effect. They don't play the same.

I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt though.

A-V-B

Ugh, more multiplayer.

I probably won't play DA3, but Bioware, if you put in multiplayer, make it completely separate from single player. If you can.

UnrealEck

All you need to know, Bioware, is that Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate were awesome and Dragon Age 2 was a pile of shit in comparison.
Be more like BG and NWN.

2San

Ugh, more multiplayer.

I probably won't play DA3, but Bioware, if you put in multiplayer, make it completely separate from single player. If you can.
What the hell are you talking about? Playing the campaign co-op in the Bioware RPG's are some of the best MP experiences out there.

The progression system (buy packs of random items to get anything at all) was horrendous. I hate shit like that. Multiplayer itself was decent at best.

Beth Cyra

Didn't give two shits about ME3 MP, and won't for DA:I. I will play it for the SP, but I have no problem them trying to reach a larger market with MP so long as the SP is good.

Might BioWare's new role-playing game be the first entry in the series to feature a multiplayer component?
Do you want to play BioWare's upcoming role-playing game Dragon Age: Inquisition ahead of its launch later this year? If you live in the Vancouver area and complete a new survey, you have a chance to do so.

BioWare will hold Dragon Age: Inquisition playtests next week on February 10 and 11, and if you complete this survey (and cross your fingers), you might just be selected. The developer is looking for a variety of participants, ranging from hardcore gamers to people who have never played a Dragon Age game before.

The survey asks standard questions like "What platform do you primarily play on?" and if you have any experience with playtesting sessions. The survey also queries respondents about their experience with past BioWare games like Dragon Age 1-2, as well as Mass Effect 1-3.

Interestingly, the survey also asks users to rate their experience with Mass Effect 3's multiplayer component. BioWare said previously that it admired that game's multiplayer component, but was undecided about multiplayer for the new Dragon Age game. No entry in the series to date has featured a multiplayer mode.

Finally, BioWare released a new Dragon Age: Inquisition screenshot (above) pulled from a pre-alpha version of the game.

Dragon Age: Inquisition launches during fall 2014 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC. The game was originally expected to release last fall. For more, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-survey-asks-about-multiplayer/1100-6417567/

Omega

Banned
MP mode in DAI = no buy for me.

I hated ME3 MP horde mode and I hated even more what that meant for SP.

ha, how cute.

People that still think the multiplayer had an effect on that awful single player. Pretty sure the multiplayer team didn't hold a gun to the SP team and force them to make as bad a game as possible

Cynar

I was really worried about me3 multi ruining the game but it actually saved it for me. The campaign was a huge let down due to the story being awful but that multiplayer was awesome. I am on board for sure if dragon age follows that gameplay.

Top Bottom