• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sometimes my PS4 won't turn on

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if I should be worried.
Here's what has happened to me 2 or 3 different times already:
-I come in and grab the DS4.
-I click the PS Button. Nothing.
-I try the power button/pad on the front of the console. No beep, nothing.
-In a frenzy I try unplugging the cables and plugging them back in. Boom it works and continues to run flawlessly.

Does anyone have similar experiences? Should I be worried?
Why does this happen?

Lock if unthread worthy

Happened to me once. Apparently there was a little brownout that took down my other devices. Never really thought to check the PS4 right after but I am assuming that is the reason. It warns you against removing power source if device is on standby.

Are you on standby mode or do you fully power off?

Happened to me once. Apparently there was a little brownout that took down my other devices. Never really thought to check the PS4 right after but I am assuming that is the reason. It warns you against removing power source if device is on standby.

Never run it in standby out of pure paranoia. I've noticed it has only done it on days when I haven't played it for a few days.

Gaz_RB

Man I don't even know how the power button works?

Is it touch activated? Do I rub it? Softly slip my finger over it? Lick it? Idk dude

McLovin

I had a problem with the power button on the console. I couldn't get it to turn on by pushing it, but I later found out that if you swipe your finger down word it works 100% of the time. I'm still not sure how to make it eject the disc every time. I usually end up ejecting through ps4 menu instead of using the button(which almost never works for me).

Seep

Are you using the included hdmi cable? It's poop salad.

Hmmm. I have a problem where when I turn my ps4 on from standby it will lose connection to the TV until I turn the ps4 off completely then back on. I wonder if I'm using the bundled HDMI. I'll check when I get home.

Rooster

If your problem is similar to problems I've had in the past, it's the crappy buttons on the console that are to blame. They get 'stuck' but are easily reset by removing the power cable.

Alpende

Sometimes when I want it to go to stand by the lightbar on the PS4 just keeps flashing white. Annoying as shit and it doesn't turn off.

syoaran

Not too dissimilar from the OP, but if I leave my PS4 on standby for more than 4hrs it will get stuck trying to boot up again. Hopefully not on it's way out, but it means remote play in from online is a no-go....

Marvel

could never
Actually I have an issue, do any of you get no sound when you boot your PS4 and TV up? I have to turn my TV off and then on again to get it quite often.

grimmiq

Every time I see a thread like this I always check my PS4 out of paranoia..

"My PS4 is leaking white fluid!" *Inspects every mm of the console*
"My PS4s drive is making a loud noise!" *powers on and puts ear against console*
"My PS4 won't turn on!" *repeatedly turns it on and off*

kriskrosbbk

Nothing like this but I use the standby option anyway.
My eject button started to beep after 1.60 tho ,never before that

this is strange ,isnt it^

BibiMaghoo

I've had something happen twice that is slightly different, but weird all the same.

My Ps4 boots randomly at stupid o'clock in the morning and ejects the disc. It doesn't stop ejecting once the disc is hanging out, and will accept no discs inserted. It will continue to spit out the disc until the console is unplugged at the back. Restarting it does not fix this.

A google search at the time shows other have had this also, but the reason for it is unknown.

Dunlop

Only use standby, but never an issue.

Since 1.6 I do hear my BD drive for about a minute when I come out if standby even if I am not using it.

Hmmm. I have a problem where when I turn my ps4 on from standby it will lose connection to the TV until I turn the ps4 off completely then back on. I wonder if I'm using the bundled HDMI. I'll check when I get home.

I know the one with my Wii U wasn't exactly great either... just up and died for no apparent reason. Thought I fried my capture card at first (hooked up to my PC) since obviously the Wii Pad still worked. Glad it was just the cable.

Noof

Sometimes mine will turn on but nothing will display on the screen. I have to turn it off and back on and then it works fine.

Certinty

Sorry to bump this but it has happened to me a further two times in two days and it's annoying having to turn the console off from the mains and back on to correct it. I really hope Sony can fix this with an update or something because it's starting to get annoying.

Hilti92

Anyone else's play station sometimes not put out any sound? Every now and then mine will boot up and not make any noise until I reboot. Also mine has a problem where it won't update games unless I go on a secondary account.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I often have to touch the power button twice to turn mine on. Touch once, beep, nothing. Touch again, beep, powers up. It's really weird.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does your PS4 charge your controller when it's turned off? I'd also check your power socket. Some power strips burn out and some wall sockets suck. I noticed mine didn't charge my controller while I was gone. But I think someone turned it off.

Sometimes my PS4 beeps with no cables connected whatsoever when I pick it up, scares the fuck outta me. Another time the blue LED came on, again no cables. It's becoming sentient.

Sounds like capacitor issues. It's happened one TV's for me in the past. Sometimes it goes away as you use it more, sometimes it becomes more frequent. The moment this becomes a repeating issue, contact Sony and have them send you a new PS4.

Drager

Banned
You don't have your PS4 plugged into a surge protector that cuts the power to other outlets when the main is shut off? Or directly into the wall? A good surge protector?

Noogy

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if I should be worried.
Here's what has happened to me 2 or 3 different times already:
-I come in and grab the DS4.
-I click the PS Button. Nothing.
-I try the power button/pad on the front of the console. No beep, nothing.
-In a frenzy I try unplugging the cables and plugging them back in. Boom it works and continues to run flawlessly.

Does anyone have similar experiences? Should I be worried?
Why does this happen?

Lock if unthread worthy

My PS4 was doing this out of the box, and was attributed to a faulty HDMI port. Jiggling the cable sometimes helped, but after a day the thing would never turn on. Thankfully Sony replaced it.

skitzyzim

Banned
Sorry to bump this but it has happened to me a further two times in two days and it's annoying having to turn the console off from the mains and back on to correct it. I really hope Sony can fix this with an update or something because it's starting to get annoying.

It would seem like the best thing to do would be to call Sony. If it isn't acting right, and is still under warranty, the obvious solution seems obvious to me. Get it replaced.

I'd contact Sony, I know it's not the same thing but my PS4 disc drive would occasionally play up but I ignored it, last week the disc drive had a meltdown and I've had to get it replaced.

Anyone else's play station sometimes not put out any sound? Every now and then mine will boot up and not make any noise until I reboot..

yes. Had this twice but you dont have to reboot! just change to another HDMI port and then back to your Ps4! and the sound should be back.

Sometimes my PS4 beeps with no cables connected whatsoever when I pick it up, scares the fuck outta me. Another time the blue LED came on, again no cables. It's becoming sentient.

Same for me. I was like :O

Yeah, that happens with PS4s :p

It's cause it still has some electricity left in it after pulling out the cables, touching the on button will make it beep, but nothing happens. Kind of freaky. I guess it's the same as when you pull a plug out of a TV that is on standby and the little red led lamp still shines for a while afterwards.

pubba

I have the same problem and I have fixed it by simply unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV, then waiting for the LED on the PS4 to change 0from blue to white before plugging it back in again.

It's a bit of a hassle, but much easier than sending my PS4 to the USA from China...

Bowler

bumping this thread as my pps4 is doing this. beeps, blue light comes on, then makes a clicking noise and shuts off. Can't get it to even go into safe boot mode... ugh

Bowler

Do you use rest mode? I turn mine completely off all the time and haven't ever had this issue.

yes... and that's when it started. hadn't use it in a few days and noticed the orange light off. that day after a few tries and one boot into safe mode, I rebuilt the database, and played for awhile.

I put it into rest mode again... same thing after a day. orange light off, trouble getting it to turn on. played with all cables etc. to no avail.

this time I tried turning it off completely.... and I cant even get to safe mode. immediately beeps and shuts off.

of course sony support was of no help, and told me to send it in, for the cool price of 150 bucks... I told them this is already a ps4 that was sent to you...(sent in for disc drive read errors) while under warranty, and they said sorry but returned consoles only come with a 90 day extension. ugh

SRTtoZ

bumping this thread as my pps4 is doing this. beeps, blue light comes on, then makes a clicking noise and shuts off. Can't get it to even go into safe boot mode... ugh

Bumping because this just started happening to me. I went through everything in the book trying to fix this fucker until I found out that the HDMI port was dirty or something. If I had it in when I tried to boot it, it would beep to turn on, then 3 clicks and shut off. So I tried it without the HDMI cord and it started fine, then I could plug the HDMI cord back in and it worked fine, but if I shut it again then it wouldn't boot. So I blew the fuck out of the HDMI port on the console and it now works fine. Seriously,WTF is that! If my HDMI port is dirty the console won't power on? I thought maybe the screen would stay black or something, but anyway I'm just happy I fixed it! Anyway, this saved me $400.

I have my PS4 on standby and it does this quite a lot. I think it's some kind of electric blackout or something. Nothing else goes dark when PS4 does this, but there might be something wrong in the PS4's motherboard. I don't know.

It's really anoying.

Top Bottom