• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Opinion) Polygon: Titanfall is the perfect game for people who are terrible at FPS's

Matriox

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/14/54...ect-game-for-people-who-are-terrible-at-first

Titanfall is a game that offers many advantages to people who aren’t very good at first-person shooters.

The game doesn’t tilt the scales in favor of the still-learning, the older or the slow, but it does provide less-skilled players many ways to excel. It doesn’t offer anyone a better way to play, exactly. But it does go out of its way to offer many different ways of playing, depending on your skill set.

If you believe your existence in the Call of Duty series is mostly to act as a punching bag, this may be the game you’ve been waiting for.

---------------------

Titanfall hasn't been dumbed down for new players or those with slower reflexes; instead, the game has added a variety of smart mechanisms and strategies that welcome those players into the experience. You won't top the servers, but you'll be able to help, and that's a welcome thing for players used to getting steamrolled in other games.

I guess it seems to me like much like any new multiplayer online game, there are tricks to learn how to play that differs from what we think of as traditional FPS's. I feel like this could have been written in a different manner to specify that there are new ways to play that aren't typically thought of in CoD, but if you're terrible at first person shooters then perhaps this is the perfect game for you.

Matriox

Do they actually name any reasons or just spew garbage, I don't give that site clicks

Much like I explained in my summary, it seems to me like they're just elaborating that there are different things that aren't traditionally thought of in games much like CoD that you can use to your advantage since people aren't used to them (dropping grenades from above as you eject from Titans).

K.Sabot

I am making it my life goal to hunt down said examples, it is my privilege after being a punching bag in my early FPS days.

This is how you learn em'.

The_Afroman

Also lots of defense and assist points. At least that is what i noticed. I suck at FPS games, but i was holding my own pretty well tonight.

jester_

I can kind of see these points as valid, given the "smart pistol" which auto aims at anyone in the middle 30% of your screen, overall low health for pilots, and being a huge easy-to-hit target when you're in a Titan. Title is click bait though.

Mondy

Banned
Just plowing through waves of useless bots but getting kicked in the head by real players doesn't sound too fun to me. I don't think this experiment will work, if that's the intention.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It has a lot of stuff to make people feel like they're accomplishing things. Like running around killing bots, which the smart pistol helps for. You will always get Titans as it's on a timer as opposed to being unlocked via a killstreak, stuff like that.

It's striking a similar mold that CoD did where everyone played it as it didn't take long to get 'good' but there is still enough there for clear skill gaps. I'd say from what I've seen Titanfall has a muuuuuuch higher skill ceiling, seeing one of the devs stream and basically never touch the ground was insanity.

jester_

Just plowing through waves of useless bots but getting kicked in the head by real players doesn't sound too fun to me. I don't think this experiment will work, if that's the intention.

Oh yeah, and the one-hit stupid grunts/spectres. Good point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's for people who are terrible at CoD, maybe. I can hold my own in Halo, UT, and even Q3A still but the type of shooter offered in CoD has never clicked with me and I've always been awful at it.

I managed to do really well in Titanfall, however, placing at the top of my team in many rounds do there is definitely something going on.

beast786

Class base FPS are perfect for people who suck at shooting. You don't even have to shoot yet contribute and feel like you contributed

Easy to say when most of the gameplay time has been in sessions with other jurnos and a beta where everyone is getting their feet wet. Give it a few weeks after launch and people who aren't good a competitive multiplayer will still see themselves getting their asses handed to them. Defensive/supportive points and a few novel gameplay modes aren't going to make this into the everyman's shooter. I guarantee you're not going to have any long term fun if you aren't good at shooting people in the face.

Amir0x

Banned
I think the trend has been clear with modern competitive FPS in general, it's why I started disliking them more and more, where before this gen, they were frequently amongst my favorite types of games. They've been ruined by challenges, perks and constant increase of features that specifically target the coddling of skilless players, turning me off. Modern gaming is about trying to make games as inoffensive as possible, so that everyone gets a pat on the head.

Titanfall from my play so far has been this turned up to eleven. Every element possible that can be funneled toward making shit players get their little celebratory dings here and there is implemented. Shit A.I. players so they can get satisfactory little kills and quicker Titanfalls so they can bombard for a few easy kills; cloaking and auto aim weapons that kill instantly with proper lock on, no recoil and insane mobility.

Used to be we play a competitive FPS and it was pure skill vs. pure skill. You had your weapon, but none of this superfluous nonsense. You had to fucking aim true, and you had to do it consistently. You had to compensate. There were no perks you had to worry about that turned shotguns into snipers or gave the enemy combatant just that much extra health so that all else being equal they're the ones who walk away. These days with all the add-on nonsense, balance just begins to go right out the window, until it's a complete crapshoot. It's not like half a thought is even paid to really making these systems smooth out, they just expect everyone to play long enough so everyone has access to the same perks as if that solves the issue.

Great players will always inevitably win - usually even in the least balanced of games - but in unbalanced games the problem is always you have to walk around with the sinking feeling that that last encounter you just didn't win because some shit player had some 3 second invincibility perk on or some shit.

Toxi

Banned
I understand what they mean, but at the same time i'm not sure what point they are trying to make?
They seemed to be making a point that Titanfall has elements that help newbies without simplifying the gameplay for veterans. A classic complaint about making games easier is that it often involves "dumbing the game down", like how making level design easier means removing side paths so the player doesn't get confused, which in turn makes the level design less interesting for a veteran.

I don't feel the same way as the writer (I feel that mechanics that help newbies will ALWAYS have an effect on people with higher skill levels), but I haven't played Titanfall. The whole grunt AI thing sounds unappealing; if it's necessary for other parts of the design, I feel those parts of the design could be modified so that it's not necessary.

I think the grunts are great for TDM. You don't have to worry about people backing out because they're getting dunked on and they can still contribute to the score.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
John what-now? I'm not sure I understand the exact message the article is trying to get across. So a gun that auto-aims and only kills bots and not players with minimal effort is considered an improvement? What happened to the days when you had to practice to get good at shooters/games? I dunno, I just don't understand people that want to play multiplayer competitively and don't want to be challenged and then overcome that challenge.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Zomba13

I think if you're bad at FPSs you could play it and have fun. The AI grunts are easy to kill and have bad aim and you can call down your Titan and have it in AI mode to guard a point or follow you and help out.

GHG

Gold Member
The game is too new to come to these kind of conclusions.

Having said that, things like the auto aim pistol and tons of bots just hanging around the maps, you can see where they are coming from.

Into

Not necessarily a bad thing

The bots are a pretty damn bad, even by bot standards. They are at best Average lvl in Unreal Tournament to about Experienced if you ever played UT 99.

Go watch Jeff and Brad play Titanfall, Jeff just runs past them and kicks them in the head.

Typically bots are never critiqued in FPS games because they do not matter, they are just there to ease new players into a game, but this time they are a huge part of the multiplayer experience

Dueck

Banned
I'm good at FPS and I do well here. We had a dude who just kept losing titans and didn't kill any of those or other players. His handing over of points lost the match for the team.

My point being: a really bad player is still going to get destroyed here. Mid-range players will benefit the most.

kasane

well from the one game i played its confirmed that the bot are dumb as fuck.

i hope they somehow improve the ai or something =/

also the guns are cod-tier in terms of recoil which i hate

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Sounds like a good thing to me.

Players of all skill levels should be able to enjoy themselves.

But isn't that for the last 10 years or so there were "lobbies" that were level locked to whatever the player was at? So that player could learn the ropes and basic mechanics and after they've learned what they need to know, they are bumped up to a lobby that had more skilled players that they could learn new tricks and tactics by dying by them? The whole, everyone deserves a trophy thing makes playing competitively frustrating. I want to be beat by someone whom is practiced and learned in whatever game I'm playing so that I can learn from those techniques and try to counter, not by the game helping or boosting a player from lack of skill.

Matriox

John what-now? I'm not sure I understand the exact message the article is trying to get across. So a gun that auto-aims and only kills bots and not players with minimal effort is considered an improvement? What happened to the days when you had to practice to get good at shooters/games? I dunno, I just don't understand people that want to play multiplayer competitively and don't want to be challenged and then overcome that challenge.

I guess this is similar to my opinion on the matter. I agree that everyone should be able to enjoy their game but at the same time I was really hoping for something more "play and learn" instead of handouts to make me feel better since I'm not as good as everyone else. On the flip side those players who are better got that way from practicing much like any other game and as others have said the game has a high skill ceiling, so I can't really make judgements until I try it out.

So this game is to Call of Duty as Call of Duty is to most FPS games?

Also, it is interesting that Polygon let this up. They must think that saying the game requires less skill than other games is a compliment and will bring in players. Looking around the thread, it seems like there is some legitimacy to that comment...

As long as the other developers doesn't copy it I won't care. But sadly they copied Call of Duty, so I might have to.

I wish Perks, Low TTK, No recoil, iron sights, sprinting, leveling up, unlock weapons, grenade spam, and attachments went away for most recent shooters. Everything that COD4 popularized.

GHG

Gold Member

But why? Especially when it alienates players who are good or players who are happy to take the time to get good.

This issue here is that this is becoming a common trend in gaming. Instant gratification takes paramount over games requiring any skill or there being any true depth to games.

All in all, what we are now witnessing on a consistent basis is a consequence of games becoming mainstream. They need to be accessible and cannot be intimidating so as not to scare people off.

If your game is accessible, can appeal to the masses and has some kind of addictive progression system that hooks you in (levelling) you will make $$$. That is the magic formula in 2014.

Spookie

I think having a low skill ceiling isn't a good thing. It tends to kill the life of a game. High skill ceilings is the reason I can go back to counterstrike 13 years later and still enjoy it.

Just played a round. Got wrecked by one person with a smart pistol.

at least in the alpha, the smart pistol seemed to be pretty useless against any halfway mobile opponent. I never really noticed any "cheap" kills or anything from it, but then again, I wonder if it's because I basically preferred to play the game like Mirror's Edge on crack, rather than CoD, lol.

Matriox

All in all, what we are now witnessing on a consistent basis is a consequence of games becoming mainstream. They need to be accessible and cannot be intimidating so as not to scare people off.

Much like CoD became mainstream outside of the hardcore gamer demographic, Titanfall aims for that aswell. You can't really blame them for wanting to sell more copies to more people for more money.

Amir0x

Banned
As long as the other developers doesn't copy it I won't care. But sadly they copied Call of Duty, so I might have to.

I wish Perks, Low TTK, No recoil, iron sights, sprinting, leveling up, unlock weapons, grenade spam, and attachments went away for most recent shooters. Everything that COD4 popularized.

I don't mind sprinting, but I agree completely with you.

Actually scratch that. I don't mind that some games go down that route. But it stands now that 99.9% of all competitive FPS are like that now, fodder for the skill-less, and it's really infuriating. If at least some popular FPS that came out focused for pure skill (and weren't confined to PC, the few that were), it'd be less a problem. But now it's everything fucking modern competitive FPS. Titanfall just upped it to the next level of "gimme"-ness. It's turned a genre that was once my favorite into one I can barely stand to touch. Ah, I wish I could just return to my RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN days. I was the 56k avenger :(

Gorillaz

Well...it was made by the CoD creators. Lowering the bottom floor/bar for entry will bring more customers who aren't into FPS games. More then what CoD did.

The writing was on the wall for awhile. What scares me is, how far are we lowering the bar now. It's going to turn into a race to the bottom this gen

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
They seemed to be making a point that Titanfall has elements that help newbies without simplifying the gameplay for veterans. A classic complaint about making games easier is that it often involves "dumbing the game down", like how making level design easier means removing side paths so the player doesn't get confused, which in turn makes the level design less interesting for a veteran.

I don't feel the same way as the writer (I feel that mechanics that help newbies will ALWAYS have an effect on people with higher skill levels), but I haven't played Titanfall. The whole grunt AI thing sounds unappealing; if it's necessary for other parts of the design, I feel those parts of the design could be modified so that it's not necessary.

Yeah, like I said I get what they mean, but many Mp games have done this before, i.e battlefield, where you can get points from being in a supporting role rather than a killing one. I'm just saying like this article seems very much pointless, as tons of games have had noob friendly Mp mechanics, i'm not sure why Titanfall is the sudden innovator of them. Hell, even CoD had stuff like death streaks and anti-kill streak mechanics for those who weren't too great at the game.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

Actually scratch that. I don't mind that some games go down that route. But it stands now that 99.9% of all competitive FPS are like that now, fodder for the skill-less, and it's really infuriating. If at least some popular FPS that came out focused for pure skill (and weren't confined to PC, the few that were), it'd be less a problem. But now it's everything fucking modern competitive FPS. Titanfall just upped it to the next level of "gimme"-ness. It's turned a genre that was once my favorite into one I can barely stand to touch. Ah, I wish I could just return to my RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN days. I was the 56k avenger :(

Which is funny, as I remember playing CoD4 Mp and it felt very refreshing that the mechanics were tweaked and changed in a way that wasn't widely accepted at the time. The problem was that the pendulum swung too far in that direction and never really came back.

Also, RTCW Mp was insanely fun when it came out. Loved the flamethrower.

GHG

Gold Member
Much like CoD became mainstream outside of the hardcore gamer demographic, Titanfall aims for that aswell. You can't really blame them for wanting to sell more copies to more people for more money.

Yep. Pretty much said that in my edit:

If your game is accessible, can appeal to the masses and has some kind of addictive progression system that hooks you in (levelling) you will make $$$. That is the magic formula in 2014.

And no you can't blame them to be honest.

Orayn

I think having a low skill ceiling isn't a good thing. It tends to kill the life of a game. High skill ceilings is the reason I can go back to counterstrike 13 years later and still enjoy it.

Sadly, most developers these days don't think about designing a game that people will still want to play for more than a year or two, much less 13. They're approaching games as a disposable product rather than a work of art.

From the videos I've watched it looks like they've made aiming easier so a player will have to play smarter to get the advantage on the enemies. This will help a lot of new comers who have trouble aiming play better as long as they know how to flank people.

Yeah, if most shooters didn't copy COD I wouldn't mind. The problem is most shooters that came out last generation did, and it looks like it's not stopping. I'll tear my hair out if new shooters introduced bot grinding like Titanfall. Keep the RPG shit out of my shooters.

Top Bottom