• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's Maxwell perfect candidate for Bitcoin miners, bad times ahead for PC gamers?

artist

Banned
PCPer ran through some mining numbers for the new Maxwell (GTX 750Ti & GTX 750) GPUs and their performance is as good as the 770;

perflskjx.png

And the main criteria that makes the best candidate for mining;

perfpowerxdj4o.png

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...-Performance-Increases-Maxwell-and-GTX-750-Ti

Our second build is based on the GTX 750 Ti. This time we instead opted for 6 x 750 Ti cards for a total of $900, which is still significantly lower than the $1200 for 4 270Xs. With 6 x 750 Ti cards, the estimated GPU power draw would only be 360W, just above half of the power draw of the 270X machine. Adding in the same 75W for additional system components the total estimated power draw works out to 435W, which allows us to purchase a cheaper power supply.

At a total cost of around $1300, this machine would have a payoff period of about 97 days at the current Dogecoin rates, at 1.8MH/s

As a PC gamer, I just had big gulp :( I hope and pray that the mining market crashes and crashes badly or the miners move onto some other ASICs.

I'm still utterly confused as to what bitcoin mining is. As well as how it is worrying.

From what I understand a set number of bitcoins a day are "mined" into existence and those with machine optimized for 'mining' can get more of them?

And it's worrying because...these guys who want mining rigs are going to buy up all of the PC parts?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How does this negatively effect PC gamers? I'm clearly missing something here.

Increased demand for bit coin mining purposes causing the price to inflate.

tbm24

The assumption is fuck miners because they aren't using those cards to play games. So if they buy them up, the people who want to play games with them may have a harder time finding them.

Fehyd

Banned
Thing is, as new farmers start up, isn't that going to increase the power demands? Essentially, it'll get to a point where its not even financially feasible anymore?

antonz

The 290 I bought for 399 in December sells for 600-650 now due to mining which then means Nvidia doesn't have to lower prices to be competitive because AMD prices went up so we lose on multiple fronts

Ty4on

Can't wait til the market crashes and they're left with a worthless, power hungry farm.

GPUs still have value :p

This is the infancy so it will calm down a lot. Dogecoin rewards have already halved which lowered the total hashrate. It was also stupidly profitable at several dollars per day for a regular GPU not including the increasing value.
Aren't ASICs like 100 times more efficient at mining? Clearly I'm missing something here.
SHA256, but not scrypt which needs more memory. Pretty much every altcoin is based on scrypt.

2San

Fuck this shit. I hope cryptocurrency crashes so hard so we have an excess of cards in the markt. At least my 3y/o PC is still trucking along just fine.

Orayn

So much for Steam Machines, dead in the water if this mining shit keeps up.

The good news is that Dogecoin and Litecoin will theoretically go the way of Bitcoin when dedicated mining hardware outpaces video cards. We just get to deal with shitty prices until that happens...

Both amd and nvidia am cry when the litecoin bubble bursts and the market gets absolutely flooded with tens and tens of thousands of cheap second hand midrange gpus all at once

The 290 I bought for 399 in December sells for 600-650 now due to mining which then means Nvidia doesn't have to lower prices to be competitive because AMD prices went up so we lose on multiple fronts

http://www.power4pc.be/webshop/graf...n_4gb_grafische_kaart_gv-r929d5-4gd-b-ga.html
my local pc store
I'm glad Belgium seems to be free of litecoin farming virmin

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^ Designing a GPU takes like 5 years which is why they never respond with anything other than price drops and rebrands. Maxwell was just designed to be efficient.
Like how much is one coin worth ?

This thing is so weird...
What coin?
Both amd and nvidia am cry when the litecoin bubble bursts and the market gets absolutely flooded with tens and tens of thousands of cheap second hand midrange gpus all at once
Litecoin bursted ages ago :p

Bluth54

Maybe the prices of the Radeon R9 290 will finally go down to normal levels so I can buy one.

Who am I kidding of course they wont. Stupid bitcoin miners.

antonz

Maybe the prices of the Radeon R9 290 will finally go down to normal levels so I can buy one.

Who am I kidding of course they wont. Stupid bitcoin miners.

I thank the stars I ignored gaf when I asked for advice on buying it in December or wait for newer model with custom cooling. everyone said wait. I jumped anyways and it saved me hundreds.

Does running coin mining rigs damage/overtax those cards? I wanna know for when it all comes crashing down and the market is flooded with 2nd hand cards

I was going to get a Radeon R9 280x back during Christmas and they were 299-330$. I got the Ps4 instead.

Went back to look at it again when taxes came in. 420-450$

Sucks ass. So yeah, if this is popular to these mining pricks then yeah, not good.

Oxn

I swear when the 880 gtx comes out and I have to pay the bit coin tax on top of the nvidia tax, imma be so pissed.

Damaniel

Banned
People are actually using *Dogecoin* exchange rates to calculate 'time to payoff' for mining rigs? I knew they were going to the moon, but wow.

Europe in general seems to be immune to this craze.

Probably because electricity is expensive there, so mining with GPUs isn't profitable.

2San

http://www.power4pc.be/webshop/graf...n_4gb_grafische_kaart_gv-r929d5-4gd-b-ga.html
my local pc store
I'm glad Belgium seems to be free of litecoin farming virmin
Just checked in Dutch online retailers. They seem to be pretty decently priced. 390 for the MSI custom cooler one. Seems like this is mostly an USA thing.

derExperte

I heard that there are more cost-effective ways to do mining these days.

Could already be happening, Bitcoin certainly has problems right now.

Just checked in Dutch online retailers. They seem to be pretty decently priced. Seems like this is an USA thing.

Same in Germany, you can buy every card for their normal price.

NJDEN

I actually got a promotional ad from Newegg that specifically gears graphics cards for mining. I was a little annoyed : P

q7YvCfO.png

h#shdem0n

If you were mining you wouldn't be concerned about the increasing cost.

Seriously though, the bubble has to burst eventually. I think getting promoted by Newegg is a sign that that time will be sooner rather than later.

SparkTR

Could already be happening, Bitcoin certainly has problems right now.

Nobody ever mined Bitcoin with GPUs, they have dedicated chips for that which Litecoin and (I assume) Dogecoin will be getting soon enough.

Also Bitcoin as been having trouble since it's inception, every set-back it recovered from makes me think it's here to stay.

jond76

Banned
Being a console gamer finally pays off. Whew..

But really, are miners using these cards to build cheap super computers? Feels like I need to watch the movie Pi again to make sense of it.

2San

It's because all of your entrepreneur gene pools left for the New World by now. :p

On a serious note, I really do wonder why that is the case.
Maybe we have higher electric bills or taxes, so it becomes really unprofitable. Though it should be unprofitable in the US as well afaik, so I don't really understand the concept behind the GPU farms.
Same in Germany, you can buy every card for their normal price.
Sounds good. Glad at least some countries didn't join the craze.

Top Bottom