• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

this is pretty early. didnt MS just turn off live support for the xbox 1 a little while ago? and that was 2 gens ago.

Nintendo didn't have a choice, they used Gamespy for Wii and DS online.

A lot of PC multiplayer games are also affected by this (and a few PS3 games as well that used Gamespy servers).

Persona7

Banned
Anyone know a setup to capture wifi traffic with wireshark? I tried using a SoftAP bridged to my wired connection but nothing is going on.

Datschge

Is there anything I could do to help if I know nothing about analyzing traffic or whatever? If there's something simple I could do I'd be willing to help.

Traffic analysis isn't that hard, Wiimm even wrote his own application which does plenty of the work. Most important is showing there is interest, collecting logs and being available for testing. Wiimm naturally only cares about MKW so other people need to deliver him the info and testing he needs for supporting other games. Eventually if I get anywhere with the PES stuff I do I could look at other games' logs as well.

Anyone know a setup to capture wifi traffic with wireshark? I tried using a SoftAP bridged to my wired connection but nothing is going on.

I'm using a very cheap router capable of custom OSS firmware (TL-WR841N with Open-WRT) and just reroute all the data, see http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/cfw-router.html

Elija2

Traffic analysis isn't that hard, Wiimm even wrote his own application which does plenty of the work. Most important is showing there is interest, collecting logs and being available for testing. Wiimm naturally only cares about MKW so other people need to deliver him the info and testing he needs for supporting other games. Eventually if I get anywhere with the PES stuff I do I could look at other games' logs as well.

I'm kinda confused as to what I'm supposed to do. I downloaded the application but there are no instructions or anything.

I found this page which has a different method with but I'm not sure if it's only for MKWii or not.

Datschge

I'm kinda confused as to what I'm supposed to do. I downloaded the application but there are no instructions or anything.

You are looking at the communication over the net. What you see in Wireshark is everything raw, mkw-ana takes the parts already known and makes them more readable (e.g. by colouring the text, converting the base64 encoded values, calculating the friend codes etc.). We currently still have official servers so by logging communication with them we get to see with and to what data each side responds to each other. Ideally this covers all possible communication so a new server can be made behave the same way (or at least those parts deemed important). If you don't know what I'm talking about it might be too complicated for you to do analysis of such data.

Edit: Here's a better introduction to mkw-ana.

What you linked are statistics garnered through Wiimm's proxy. That has nothing to do with analysing the client server communication of a specific game.

I think the DQIX content went down long before this... But since that is tangentially related to this thread, anybody know of a way to get it?
Its all in-game so use an action replay basically.

The DQIX content was bought back up after petitioning Square Enix. As far as the daily shop goes all but a few have been captured* (but again, you can just an action replay for the exclusive content) and of those few everything is available in other ones.

*-Their next rotation falls after the shutdown.

An older DQIX question rthread
If I accessed DQIX, can I grab all the DLC?
Not all the DLC, just the quests. I think some of those quests are necessary to see all the post game content (I really didn't like the postgame myself, the legacy bosses may have been cool but having to go through a million dull grottos to get to them was not, by that point I was done with the game).
Have you got to
Stornway
yet? If so you need to talk to
Selma in the Quester's Rest Inn
and have the Zoom spell. If not then it is only a few hours into the game. I'm not sure if the quests rotate or anything like that (I have access to a WEP connection now but no DQIX game so have never done it myself) and I think if you start the game over you'll lose that DLC (but like the other thread implies, with 2 DS systems and 2 copies of the game you can have one cart with the DLC).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sitting here with my Jam With The Band copy trying to work out which songs I should download. Got to pick 48 of them so this could take a while. Any must haves?

SuperSah

Banned
An older DQIX question rthread

Not all the DLC, just the quests. I think some of those quests are necessary to see all the post game content (I really didn't like the postgame myself, the legacy bosses may have been cool but having to go through a million dull grottos to get to them was not, by that point I was done with the game).
Have you got to
Stornway
yet? If so you need to talk to
Selma in the Quester's Rest Inn
and have the Zoom spell. If not then it is only a few hours into the game. I'm not sure if the quests rotate or anything like that (I have access to a WEP connection now but no DQIX game so have never done it myself) and I think if you start the game over you'll lose that DLC (but like the other thread implies, with 2 DS systems and 2 copies of the game you can have one cart with the DLC).

Awesome.

Just accessed through a WEP connection I tethered off my phone.

Got all the DLC quests and all the Special Guest! I am happy! :D

Gameboy415

Sitting here with my Jam With The Band copy trying to work out which songs I should download. Got to pick 48 of them so this could take a while. Any must haves?

Do you have the Euro version of the game??
I can't seem to access the charts on my copy for some reason. :(
I'm able to connect to WFC but it says something like 'Could not access charts' and I can't even look up songs via Search.
My Japanese copy works without any issues so I'm not sure what the deal is.
I'm using an American DSiXL in the US, if it makes a difference.

Is anyone else having issue with Jam with the Band??

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm able to connect to WFC but it says something like 'Could not access charts' and I can't even look up songs via Search.
My Japanese copy works without any issues so I'm not sure what the deal is.
I'm using an American DSiXL in the US, if it makes a difference.

Is anyone else having issue with Jam with the Band??
It was fine for me yesterday. I've got the Euro copy and I'm in the UK.

Downloaded about 15 so I've still got quite a few to go. There's a surprising amount of French songs to download.

Also don't do what I did I download Walking On Sunshine. Haven't not played the game in a long while I forgot that was an included track. Though technically the DLC version is different.

Thats the 23 Nindori Jam with the band songs down...man the amount of yes just to get a song, you would think you were deleting an NNID or something...

Since when was Solatorobo DSi enhanced, the animated icon and now it wants the use the camera :( (you can refuse) Quest download is right on the title screen but it needs a save file and getting to the first save point will take more than a few minutes...

Here is my guess. You selected a country with no content (possibly whatever was at the top of the list).
Shop entrance > Settings > profile > country. Try picking something like France or Germany.

Glad I got my DQIX house in order before the shutdown...

ilMqa9sjWejF1.jpg

ibp2iWkkPotvAG.jpg

i7bl8Wl3XR6VT.jpg

i8oJ0F1n071mi.jpg

WFC RIP.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I finally just bought a DSi XL and they're already turning off the online features of games I was going to pick up. No point in grabbing Mario Kart now :(

This seems way too soon of Nintendo to do this, is there a petition to keep it up yet?

eggwolio

I finally just bought a DSi XL and they're already turning off the online features of games I was going to pick up. No point in grabbing Mario Kart now :(

This seems way too soon of Nintendo to do this, is there a petition to keep it up yet?

Petitions would do no good. The backbone of the service is GameSpy, and they're shutting down.

I must be abysmally slow at RPGs or something (I don't play many) because it took me 13:52 to get to the point in DQIX where you can get the DLC. I did a fair amount of grinding to be sure, but even so saying 4-5 hours seems crazy to me.

coopolon

How significant is the dq ix stuff? IT's a game I definitely want to get someday, but don't currently have and am no rush to get to it soon.

But if the dlc is rather large, it might be worth moving it up my playlist and going out and picking up a copy. At least it's pretty cheap.

terrisus

How significant is the dq ix stuff? IT's a game I definitely want to get someday, but don't currently have and am no rush to get to it soon.

But if the dlc is rather large, it might be worth moving it up my playlist and going out and picking up a copy. At least it's pretty cheap.

You can enjoy the game perfectly fine without it, it's an amazing game.

That said, the WiFi stuff is pretty significant too - so I would definitely recommend grabbing it while you can.

KHlover

Banned

Nintendo can't do shit here, it's Gamespy that run the servers.

eggwolio

Glad to hear I'm not alone in my madness, haha. :)
Unfortunately for me, none of my local stores had any copies in stock so I had to resort to various online stores (eBay, Best Buy, & SecondSpin, to be specific).
Here's hoping they all show up in time...

How's your collection going? You get them all yet? I caved and ordered MvDK3. Fingers crossed it gets here in time.

EDIT: I'm not positive, but I believe the extra levels for bust a move plus on Wiiware use the wfc. Two bucks for each pack and there's two packs. I just bought them and the game claimed it was connecting to the wfc.

Gameboy415

Here is my guess. You selected a country with no content (possibly whatever was at the top of the list).
Shop entrance > Settings > profile > country. Try picking something like France or Germany.

That was it!
It had defaulted to Australia so I switched it to United Kingdom, tried the WFC shop, and BAM there's all the charts/songs I've been looking for! :D
I had no idea this option even existed in the settings menu so thanks a million!! :D :D :D

How's your collection going? You get them all yet? I caved and ordered MvDK3. Fingers crossed it gets here in time.

Yep! They all arrived as of last Friday and I've officially got all of the Picross, Picross 3D, & WarioWare DIY DLC now. :)
I just finished maxing out my MvDK3 cart earlier today - I believe it lets you save around 140-150 stages total.
FYI, the stages in the 'Challenge' section are separate from the main DLC area.
I was able to download 3 complete days worth of challenge stages (around 60 total, I think) on top of all of the Nintendo & Top-Rated stages I grabbed in the main section.
Hopefully your copy arrives in time!

EDIT: I'm not positive, but I believe the extra levels for bust a move plus on Wiiware use the wfc. Two bucks for each pack and there's two packs. I just bought them and the game claimed it was connecting to the wfc.

Thanks, I'll need to look into this too.
I wonder if the Space Invaders: Get Even DLC would be in the same boat...?

I've actually been checking various Target stores for Wii Point Cards (to save a whopping 5%, lol) so I could grab the Samba De Amigo DLC (which supposedly isn't getting de-listed/shut down but I'd rather not chance it) but they don't seem to carry them any more.
I'll probably just add some points with my debit card and grab everything that might get lost in the WFC shutdown.

On a related note, I recently found out that Boom Blox: Bash Party & Blast Works had free DLC but both services seem to have been discontinued a while back. :(
Oh well..

terrisus

On a related note, I recently found out that Boom Blox: Bash Party & Blast Works had free DLC but both services seem to have been discontinued a while back. :(

RZ6XdX0.jpg

Going to have to change its name to:
Blast Works: Build, Keep it to Yourself, Destroy

=(

Quick question about Wario Ware DIY showcase (the WiiWare game). This can download crated games, right? Can you copy the save? If not you can use homebrew to get around that.

What I'm saying this might be a better avenue to preserve that content as the saves can be transfered if you jump through that hoop (nobody ever figured out the how to dump the DS Wario DIY NAND).

Note: The Jam with the band speaker channel is essentially another DS in local play so can't be used in the same way.

It is postgame stuff for the most part. I did like the postgame so don't feel anything about missing out on it but it does a lot itf you get into that.

SuperZambezi

Neo Member
Does anyone know the exact time the servers are going down on May 20? Japan has them going down at 11PM, but I haven't heard anything for other regions.

For any soccer/football fans: PES 09, 10, 11, 12, and 13 all have roster updates that require WFC to download. PES 08 doesn't as far as I can tell.

Datschge

For any soccer/football fans: PES 09, 10, 11, 12, and 13 all have roster updates that require WFC to download. PES 08 doesn't as far as I can tell.

I've created captures of all of them yesterday night, so that stuff is save. (At least for EU releases, as well as Winning Eleven Playmaker 2010 Japan Challenge. I honestly have no ideas what other regions may be there, and if the updates differ.)

coopolon

So I bought a used copy of dqix. The save file already on it is Port Llaffan with 12 hours played. Can I access the location to download the dlc with this file (and if so, where is it?) then use it my own file that I start whenever past May 20th?

upandaway

Wait wait oh dang, I forgot DQ9 has downloadable stuff. Aw man.

I have the game but I haven't started it or anything yet. Am I still clear to just find it and download them all now or do I need to play it to a certain point?

So what is being lost on The Last Story, just costume items, right?

Was there ever a list created?

How long would it take to get all of the online items?

Wait wait oh dang, I forgot DQ9 has downloadable stuff. Aw man.

I have the game but I haven't started it or anything yet. Am I still clear to just find it and download them all now or do I need to play it to a certain point?

You need to play a few hours into the game to make the WFC option appear. Also, AFAIK the Christmas Cake item is no longer obtainable in the DQVC shop, so you won't be able to complete one of the DLC missions.

Toad.T

Banned
Out of the games I have, this is what I've downloaded.

-Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 - there are a handful of Nintendo-created DLC puzzles

All of the 6 puzzles released.

-Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Madness - TONS of DLC puzzles, need more than one cart to get them all
-Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - lots of DLC puzzles here too
-Picross DS - download puzzles from 10 older Picross games, requires 10 carts to get them all (I actually ordered 9 extra copies of the game because I love Picross / am insane)

Most likely won't be able to get all of the content, due to the insane amount of carts needing purchase in such a short time. (Seriously though, Nintendo: First time you offer NP games in years and people can't even own them all)

-Professor Layton (all) - weekly puzzles
-WarioWare DIY - downloadable puzzles, requires 2 carts to get them all (my 2nd cart is on the way)

Spread across two titles, (DIY and DIY Showcase). Layton 4 came in today, have all the puzzles.

These are the titles that I think I can get in a short amount of time, but will need questions answered on some of them:

Stuff I still need to grab DLC for:
-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - TONS of downloadable maps/missions
-Dragon Quest IX - downloadable maps, not sure if these are still available...
-Daigasso Band Brothers DX/Jam with the Band - TONS of downloadable songs
-Fossil Fighters Champions - apparently there are downloadable fossils but I haven't figured out how to get them yet
-Heroes of Mana - apparently there are downloadable missions?
-Professor Layton and the Last Spector - apparently there is some kind of DLC in the 'Layton Life' mode
-Picross 3D - weekly puzzle packs and challenge packs, requires 2 carts to get them all
-Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs - download missions
-Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia - download missions

Advance Wars: Can all the missions fit on one cart? Is it possible to download them all near the start, like the Layton titles?
DQ9: What specifically are the codes for the DLC quests/codes? I looked around and there's only catch-all "Every armor/clothes/shield/etc" codes and one for the "Legacy Dungeons"
Fossil Fighters: Any more info on this? When to get the DLC, what do I need to do in-game?
Mana: Same as above.
Layton: Is there a AR code for the extra friends in London Life, like how there is one for the weekly puzzles?
Picross 3D: Are the puzzles worthwile?
Ranger Guardian/Shadows: Weren't those missions timed events that are gone now? Or is there an AR code to "Patch" them in?

For ones not covered on the list:
Fire Emblem DS: That shop exclusive sword, how much in-game currency does it need? (I'm assuming you pay through that.)
Castlevania DoS (I think?): Did that item shop Wi-Fi thing do anything? As in, can I play the game full to completion without that?
The Last Story: What specifically do you have to do in the online mode to get the exclusive sword/whatever else?

And finally: Are there any other games the thread has missed that have exclusive downloadable content?

Blizzard

Banned
WHAT THE HECK, I'm a big Advance Wars fan and didn't realize there were downloadable missions for Days of Ruin. Are they on the eShop or just ingame somewhere? I'll second the question of whether they can all be downloaded on one cart.

jrDev

Sooo...when Nintendo starts opening up the floodgates to the DS games for WiiU, we won't be able to go online with any of them right?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Sooo...when Nintendo starts opening up the floodgates to the DS games for WiiU, we won't be able to go online with any of them right?

considering there's all of one Virtual Console title that could ever go online...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
WHAT THE HECK, I'm a big Advance Wars fan and didn't realize there were downloadable missions for Days of Ruin. Are they on the eShop or just ingame somewhere? I'll second the question of whether they can all be downloaded on one cart.
Ya can only save up to 50 of them from an ingame menus. Dunno how many there are in total cause you can only d/l them "randomly" or from a "recommended" list... which is still random cause you don't see what you've got until after its downloaded. Its also a hassle cause it disconnects after each download!

connect to nintendo wi-fi connection?
yes
connecting to nintendo wi-fi connection... please wait a moment
choose slot
download "map"?
yes
now saving...
disconnecting from nintendo wi-fi connection...
repeat from step 1

why

Blizzard

Banned
Ya can only save up to 50 of them from an ingame menus. Dunno how many there are in total cause you can only d/l them "randomly" or from a "recommended" list... which is still random cause you don't see what you've got until after its downloaded. Its also a hassle cause it disconnects after each download!

connect to nintendo wi-fi connection?
yes
connecting to nintendo wi-fi connection... please wait a moment
choose slot
download "map"?
yes
now saving...
disconnecting from nintendo wi-fi connection...
repeat from step 1

why

...you may have talked me out of it, lol. Doing that 50 times sounds a bit rough.

prateeko

Is there a list somewhere of all the DLC that's set to expire? I'm crazy busy this week and don't have time to look through all the US 1st party games to see what DLC is about to disappear forever...

Elija2

I downloaded as many Mario vs. DK: Mini's March Again as they allow. When sorting by Nintendo/Top Rated levels they only show you a limited amount so I just downloaded random levels to fill up the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom