• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting "Full-Quality" Screenshots off your PS4

RedAssedApe

Banned
My friend and I just realized today that you can attach screenshots to your PSN messages (lol). Using the Playstation mobile app, you can read those messages under your message history and save the screenshots to your phone and then e-mail yourself or upload to something like Dropbox. I have a separate Japan PSN account that I added as a friend so I could send myself screenshots.

Using this method it looks like you can avoid Twitter and Facebook and preserve the quality of the image (on average the Twitter jpgs are about half-ish the size). Maybe not the best images in the world but you can see the difference however so minor if you look at the images closely (i.e. look around Stryder's body in the full sized images). I sold all of my more graphics intensive games so if someone wants to try posting their own?

Twitter Share (using :eek:rig link) 124KB :

twitter.jpg

PS4 Original 311KB:

Here's another. Outlast probably isn't that great an example either due to the grainy film effect they use. But oh well...its all I had.

Looked at Playstation 4 Screen Capture|Video Sharing Thread but my search skills may be lacking. If this was already a well known method, feel free to lock this so I don't look like a fool (for too long). :D

RedAssedApe

Banned
Doh...oh wells. Maybe should have just posted to the Screenshot thread since everyone in there was still using Twitter. Or maybe that was just out of convenience? Feel free to lock it up. :)

DieH@rd

Banned
My friend and I just realized today that you can attach screenshots to your PSN messages (lol).

This was known from way before, but it is good that you made a new thread about it.

My old 3 pictures of KZSF that were extracted using this way
20140216161657gwknd.jpg

20140216161642anj11.jpg

2014021616171114kj7.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Awesome. Didn't know this before and was looking for a way to do this. Thanks for sharing.

ViciousDS

Banned
I didn't know about this either lol, excellent the Facebook compression is terrible and really needs to be removed.

-PXG-

Yep. The best way is to send a screenshot to a friend. From a smart phone or tablet, use the PS app to access your message history. From there you can save any photos you have sent from messages you haven't deleted. Now, from here you can upload or send the image wherever you want. Tada! Raw, uncompressed image.

I figured this out a while ago. Posted here too...

Here's the actual difference between the screenshots

3mb PNG because someone wouldve chucked a shit if I did it in a reasonable way

hint: You guys are fucking dorks if you care
This image doesn't show what you think it shows. To your eye that may all look nearly featureless, but to Photoshop only a tiny percentage of that difference frame is pure black (i.e. no difference).

In other words, the vast majority of the pixels are different between the two shots. A small number are as much as 20% different from shot to shot. That's not worlds apart, but it's not meaningless like you imply either.

Every JPEG is an approximation of the original screens. Want to know what a game actually looks like? Better JPEGs are better. It's not rocket science.

bombshell

Yep. The best way is to send a screenshot to a friend. From a smart phone or tablet, use the PS app to access your message history. From there you can save any photos you have sent from messages you haven't deleted. Now, from here you can upload or send the image wherever you want. Tada! Raw, uncompressed image.

Uncompressed is not how I would describe a .jpg image. Still this method is definitely better than going through extra Facebook/Twitter compression.

This image doesn't show what you think it shows. To your eye that may all look nearly featureless, but to Photoshop only a tiny percentage of that difference frame is pure black (i.e. no difference).

In other words, the vast majority of the pixels are different between the two shots. A small number are as much as 20% different from shot to shot. That's not worlds apart, but it's not meaningless like you imply either.

Every JPEG is an approximation of the original screens. Want to know what a game actually looks like? Better JPEGs are better. It's not rocket science.

Yes, I broke out photoshop without recognizing how this works. The screenshots are nearly indistinguishable in these photo-like examples to the average person apart from the unexplainable colour shift that definitely did not come from Twitter's own compression, and thats on an image with an almost worse-case-scenario level of noise. Most screenshots won't be nearly as high-frequency as that one.

The point is Twitter's compression is fairly fucking generous.

RedAssedApe

Banned
No way to do this for videos yet. There is probably a message attachment size limit and videos get pretty big. They should build something into the app where you can access your photos and videos directly by connecting your mobile to ps4.

Oooh neat. Didn't even think about that. No need to have to login to my second account then. Updated op

Someone test it on Resogun when there are a bunch of explosions. That's when the Facebook/Twitter uploads really go to shit.

Andrefpvs

Nice trick, didn't know about this.

We still need some serious firmware updates to make stuff like this easier to access.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't even see a fucking difference.

Haha it can be subtle. Can't really pick it out if you are just looking at the thumbs. But if you look around the edges of Stryder character model you can see the image artifacts (hopefully describing that properly) due to twitter compression. I should do a Facebook share example too since that's even worse.

Might not be worth the trouble for some people as share button is much quicker. But some people refuse to get these social media accounts. :)

aro52

Damn. I thought I was being clever with the ":eek:rig" Twitter trick! Guess there's a whole other level I've been missing. :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I hadn't thought of this, nice. Even with a work around being available, I still hope that Sony gets with the times and either uses an existing image hosting service, or launches their own. Just do what Valve's doing, that's pretty much the answer to everything.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, it's really stupid that we can't just get them off the HDD via USB, or upload them to a web host of our choosing via the PS4's web browser. Even the Wii U lets you do the latter.

Yeah especially for videos. Screenshots are one thing but those things turn into garbage when compressed down Facebook/Twitter.

Timu

I'll stick to my capture card since it gives the best results and in motion that trick will still have compressed screens due to the encoding of the PS4's built in capture device.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'll stick to my capture card since it gives the best results and in motion that trick will still have compressed screens due to the encoding of the PS4's built in capture device.

yeah the screens are still compressed but not doubly so like when you use facebook or twitter. anyone know what your average 1080p screenshot is supposed to weigh in at in terms of file size?

Timu

yeah the screens are still compressed but not doubly so like when you use facebook or twitter. anyone know what your average 1080p screenshot is supposed to weigh in at in terms of file size?
For JPEG it's typically around 500kb-1MB.

This seems like an awfully longwinded way to get yourself the high quality screen shots (and not even uncompressed quality). Wish they'd just save to Dropbox or something.

Timu

Honestly guys, it depends on what it's being taken as I've seen exported screens that look better than what FB and TW can do. It's by far the closet to getting good screens without a capture card.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think I've already admitted a few times that my images probably aren't the best to use to point out any quality differences. :D

It would be like comparing a jpg at 90% to like 70%. The twitter and facebook stuff is probably good enough where most people just eyeballing screens aren't going to notice. Which is perfectly fine.

If you are curious you can use any image editor and adjust the quality when you save the jpg and see how the quality slowly changes as you lower the %. You slowly start to see color banding and more and more compression artifacts

Some oldies: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=92343658

It's the best option for those without capture cards, no doubt.

Ugh THAT was the thread I was trying to find. SEARCH FAIL. And this exact process was outlined there all the way back in December.

Top Bottom