• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default Outsells Lightning Returns FF13 in the US

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Mock Square if old

2667ar25wdshn0vk87y.png

https://twitter.com/ErrenVanDuine/status/444256816642260994

Bravely Default, which launched for Nintendo 3DS on Feb. 7, improved on the launch of Fire Emblem Awakening by more than 10 percent, selling more than 200,000 combined units in just over three weeks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784224

Silky

Banned
A mediocre RPG with a terrible second half outselling a mediocre RPG with sequel fatigue. Sad.

I don't think I'm supposed to be impressed by this.

Whompa

And the point being?

By all means it deserved it. Lightning's third outing probably won't be earning much in terms of a new audience.

Riki

And fucking Square Enix didn't even want to localize it!
Thank you, Nintendo for actually giving this a chance.

Just goes to confirm that developers of RPG games should focus on the mobile market since it's cheaper to create these games and they sell more.

They'd make more money if they made cell phone version.

RIP Console gaming

Thoraxes

Good news for getting the sequel I hope!

BD and LR are both great games, but there can only be one victor in the blood battles of NPD!

I'm working through both as we speak and they are both great, but now i'm really excited to see if we get more 3DS JRPGs that haven't been released by SE over here yet...

*nudge* *wink*

Adaren

I love LR, but I don't find this surprising considering the perception of each game and the fact that LR is a sequel to a sequel.

Zalman

This is a good sign in many ways. Not only might this encourage Square-Enix to release more games like BD and less like FF13, but Nintendo might even consider bringing over some other JRPGs like DQ.

Whompa

That a new JRPG handheld IP sold more than a console FF game which had way more marketing budget (and way more budget all along).

States how bad the FF brand is these days in the west. (Well, not like it did much better on japan...)

Except ff14 and ff10 will trump both of these properties. Really doesn't say much of anything.

Fbh

Hopefully Square takes this into consideration for its future projects.

Bravely Default had some issues (although I really enjoyed it up until chapter 5) but all in all it's the sort of experience I want to see from Square

Good. Square is so fucking stupid for not localizing this themselves. Proof that we still like oldschool RPGs and proof that Lightning blows.

I should play BD some day.

This is a good sign in many ways. Not only might this encourage Square-Enix to release more games like BD and less like FF13, but Nintendo might even consider bringing over some other JRPGs like DQ.

You would think so. But here are some other possible reactions from Square:

* BD is selling well! But what we really need to do is make it a +6 million selling franchise. Arrange the focus groups and see if we can squeeze Lightning in somewhere!
* Well that worked well! From now on all of our games will start really strong so that we get great reviews and people hyping how good it is. Then we can just copy paste content and phone in the second half to cut costs.
* Hmm, the handheld title performed really well. Time to make more games for mobile devices instead!

I'd say any of those are equally likely at this point.

Fey

Banned
ugh on one hand BD was a major, humongous, gigantic disappointment that I plan to sell asap, but I suppose it was a teeny tiny step into the right direction. So yay.............................................

Top Bottom