• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog film will be "dark and edgy" [rumor] aka terrible [confirmed]

Busty

Banned
Today (somewhat dubious) Hollywood industry site Tracking Board claims to have information about Sony/Columbia Pictures' 'upcoming' Sonic The Hedgehog film. And it's...., well have a look for yourself.

It’s recently been confirmed that a movie adaptation of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is in development at Columbia Pictures, with the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences! NOT ONLY this, but the studio plans to make it a mix of live-action and animation, allowing the much loved character to really meld with reality.

According to the article the project is being co-produced by Neal Moritz (Fast & Furious franchise to name but one project) and SEGA.

For those of us who played the classic Sega video game as kids (or if you’re still playing it right now), this could be an adventure ride for the ages. I mean, who doesn’t want to see a bad ass version of Sonic?!

Everyone. In the world.

The only thing to do now is find a writer for the project, and an awesome shortlist has already been put together with some real heavy hitters:

Brad Bird (“Incredibles, “”Wall-E,” “Brave,” “Toy Story 2,” “Up”)
Wernick & Reese (“Deadpool,” “Monsters Inc,” “Zombieland,” “GI Joe Retaliation”)
David Berenbaum (“The Spiderwick Chronicles,” “Elf”)
Phil Johnston (“Wreck it Ralph” and “Nebraska”)

I feel it should be noted that the list of writers is almost certainly what's known as the 'wish list' put together by producers/studio execs of who they would ideally like to work on the project. So Brad Bird's involvement is a 'Warren Buffet bracket challenge' sized long shot to say the least but it does show how 'big' the producers are thinking.

It's obviously extremely early and the project is at least a few years away. There is more at the article (which is free unlike most of the site's other content) if you should want to check it out. Just be aware that clicking on the link might see you end up on some kind of NSA watch list.

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-ex...dark-knight-treatment-and-a-writer-shortlist/

If this is old please put me into development at Columbia Pictures.

Marvel

could never
8wh.gif

shuri

Banned
To be honest, the hardcore Sonic fanbase seems to be aged 21+. Also didn't one of the last games had Sonic fight God at the end and kiss a human female character?

Abounder

Banned
Obama chuckled. "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?"

h7EA08E54

Sounds so bad it'll be good. And on a tangent looks like video games might be the next Hollywood trend: there's that SEGA vs Nintendo movie, an Adam Sandler pixel movie, and now this.

Haunted

It’s recently been confirmed that a movie adaptation of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is in development at Columbia Pictures, with the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences!
You mean, like 12-14 compared to the 6-10 demographic the games are for?

DarkKyo

It’s recently been confirmed that a movie adaptation of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is in development at Columbia Pictures, with the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences! NOT ONLY this, but the studio plans to make it a mix of live-action and animation, allowing the much loved character to really meld with reality.
ibtkvCFesEtve7.gif

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
They need to just put Sonic out of his misery. Hasn't been good since Sonic Adventure 2.

There is nothing correct about this post. First of all there have been plenty of good Sonic games over the past 10 years. Multiple good handheld titles as well as a couple good racing titles, and Colour and Generations were great games. Secondly, Sonic Adventure 2 was not good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't believe this for the moment. Outside of the fact the Sonic series gets an absurd amount of fake news, and SEGA is pretty fond of its kid-friendly image, what is this website even?

Do kids these days still know about Sonic??

Yes, though less for his games these days ironically. His merchandising, comics, TV shows still airing in some countries, and appearing in a lot of things, such as Wreck-It Ralph or the Mario & Sonic games. In my experience, and from what I've gathered from others online as well, Sonic is still very popular with kids. The closest I can go on personal example is when I was watching Wreck-It Ralph, the appearance of Sonic got the biggest reaction out of the kids in the theater, more than anything else.

Ourobolus

Banned
I want Sonic, run ragged from all of the years, sitting at a bar stool, empty shot glasses surrounding him, a half-eaten, room-temperature chili dog lying next to him.

They had better use "Robotnik" over "Eggman."

tsumineko

There is nothing correct about this post. First of all there have been plenty of good Sonic games over the past 10 years. Multiple good handheld titles as well as a couple good racing titles, and Colour and Generations were great games. Secondly, Sonic Adventure 2 was not good.

Yeah but like... compared to the Megadrive Sonic's... you know...

He is wrong about SA2 though.

Yes.
YESSSS.
Crash and Burn as hard as you can possibly Crash and Burn.
If you're going to be terrible, be REALLY terrible so people can remember it and laugh about how bad it was.

Obama chuckled. "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?"

h7EA08E54

Sounds so bad it'll be good. And on a tangent looks like video games might be the next Hollywood trend: there's that SEGA vs Nintendo movie, an Adam Sandler pixel movie, and now this.

.... I have no words.

There is no weirder community than Sonic.

Darklord

Banned
All those socially inept 12 year old's are gonna feel so bad arse when they watch it. Especially when Shadow shows up and dubstep starts playing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So...Sonic X + Shadow The Hedgehog?

....also, why am I reminded of that fan-made live-action film?

Top Bottom