• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: PlayStation brand up YTD, Wii U and 3DS up dramatically

jvm

Gamasutra.
Figures estimated from data published in the UK trade press. Data sorted by YTD 2014 column.

SORIKVy.png

vxeMyZt.png

Just looking at units...
Xbox brand: -3% YTD
PlayStation brand: +16% YTD
Nintendo brands: -20% YTD

It will be very interesting to see how March changes these figures.

Happy to answer questions if people have them. Expect some delays, as I'm not always at keyboard.

Paskil

Thanks for the numbers. Can't wait until we have a full year of data and a real holiday season with stock to see how everyone fares.

jvm

Gamasutra.
How accurate does this data tend to be? is it like npd
Real tracker data reported in estimated form in the press, but not like this. So you've got two layers of translation: tracker to public report (rounding) and then report to me (converting total market values and shares into actual share values).

Software prices in the UK are still abnormally high compared to PS3/360 releases of the same games.

The prices are dropping but it's certainly a good reason for why software sales for current gen are lower than previous gen considering how price sensitive brits are.

Fdkn

So PS4 and XBO are currently selling far below PS3 and 360?

That's quite unlike what we've seen in the US. Maybe the old consoles have more life left than we thought?

You can't really compare software units when there are a gazillion ps360 games at bargain prices while ps4/xb1 games are still almost full price.

Revenue on ps4 is almost at 360level with a much smaller installbase

Real tracker data reported in estimated form in the press, but not like this. So you've got two layers of translation: tracker to public report (rounding) and then report to me (converting total market values and shares into actual share values).
Oh ok thanks. I misread data I thought it was hardware sales, now that would have been real interesting

impact

Banned
At least the 3DS is above the PC....in software revenue now.

lol being above PC retail is not any kind of victory at all. Every serious PC gamer buys through Steam/Amazon/GMG/GamersGate/GOG

Compared to the eShop where you pay more for less.

chadskin

PS4 software revenue is already greater than PS3's? And it came close to the 360 in 2014 YTD? Wow. Okay. The next-gen thirst IS real.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
It seemed in pal charts xb1 games were doing better than ps4 games most weeks recently. In this they are miles behind.

Why would that be?

DBT85

It seemed in pal charts xb1 games were doing better than ps4 games most weeks recently. In this they are miles behind.

Why would that be?

Can you provide some examples? The PS4 has sold more hardware in the UK, so it makes sense that it's sold more software.

Why would that be?

Context.

PS4 had a major lead in the beginning. And even in the past few weeks where XB1 games were higher on charts, there was some increase of PS4 software sporadically, which implies stock came in sporadically to support that increase.

Furthermore, it's really only February that XB1 numbers started looking more positive, and that was a month that was supported by a mix of price cuts + more games on the platform available compared to PS4. ( Garden Warfare )

And you denounce the validity of Amazon charts... the same is true for the PAL chart. Without solid LTD numbers for software sales week after week, it's hard to gauge how well the games actually did despite ranking high on charts.

It could be that all it took for Game X to get no.1 in week 45 is 10,000 copies, whereas for week 47, it needed to sell 100,000 copies to be no.1. It's also entire possible that PS4 software sales slowed down for certain games because they've already sold so many of them compared to XB1 SKU.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Context.

PS4 had a major lead in the beginning. And even in the past few weeks where XB1 games were higher on charts, there was some increase of PS4 software sporadically, which implies stock came in sporadically to support that increase.

Furthermore, it's really only February that XB1 numbers started looking more positive, and that was a month that was supported by a mix of price cuts + more games on the platform available compared to PS4. ( Garden Warfare )

And you denounce the validity of Amazon charts... the same is true for the PAL chart. Without solid LTD numbers for software sales week after week, it's hard to gauge how well the games actually did despite ranking high on charts.

It could be that all it took for Game X to get no.1 in week 45 is 10,000 copies, whereas for week 47, it needed to sell 100,000 copies to be no.1. It's also entire possible that PS4 software sales slowed down for certain games because they've already sold so many of them compared to XB1 SKU.

Yeah that's what it was I was thinking of last few weeks I forgot how far into March we are.

Next month will be interesting. TF did a quarter of PS4 YTD in 3 days and Infamous numbers should be big as well.

Yeah that's what it was I was thinking of last few weeks I forgot how far into March we are.

Next month will be interesting. TF did a quarter of PS4 YTD in 3 days and Infamous numbers should be big as well.

Charts, by its nature, can always quite be misleading.

Current-gen SKU always top charts every time it's debuted... and we often see current gen-SKUs placing quite highly consistently as well...

Without numbers, it's easy to look at how games place in charts and exclaim that last-gen is DEAD.

Yet last-gen sales by volume are still double, or almost double current-gen sales YTD.

Yes, the sales are disproportionate to the install base, but that also means last-gen still matter a lot, at this point.

Nintendo is really in a precarious position going forward

I have trouble believing they can rely on 3DS software sales in 2015 to make any kind of dent in the loss that Wii U is.

Sony doing much better in UK. MS seems to be up as well although 360 will fall to the wayside as well [PS3 too] so not sure how it will end up

Mory Dunz

lol being above PC retail is not any kind of victory at all. Every serious PC gamer buys through Steam/Amazon/GMG/GamersGate/GOG

Compared to the eShop where you pay more for less.

Yeah, I know. It's in a bad position. I was messing around.

I need to find a way to get more sarcasm out of my ellipsis.

LOCK

If Nintendo is up that much in only the UK, then France and Germany must be doing pretty good for them.

such a savior, it's #29 for the month using the same formatting type that NPD does

(speaking of which, what would DK's ranking in NPD have been if they showed more than top 10?)

Tropical Freeze boosted WiiU hardware sales much more than people expected it to and with only 8 days of recorded sales. MK8 is going to shift a lot of hardware if it's advertised correctly. I predict 500 000 WiiU console sales in the May and June NPD's alone.

Top Bottom