• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson interview with Phil Spencer

Miles X

Well, going by your criteria, let's count them up.

PS4:

Knack (SCE Japan Studio, Sony 1st Party Studio)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (Guerrilla Games, Sony 1st Party Studio)

Total: 2

Xbox One:

Killer Instinct (Double Helix Games, 3rd Party)
Dead Rising 3 (Capcom, 3rd Party)
Ryse: Son Of Rome (Crytek, 3rd Party)
Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments, 3rd Party)
Forza 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft 1st Party Studio)

Total: 1

Not getting into your stupid list wars, I see 3 first party games and 1 that'll never go multiplat, that's all that matters.

Miles X

I'm not the one who made arbitrary restrictions on what does and does not count as a launch game.

Who did that? Not me? Sony getting a bunch of indie ports does not indicate they're more focused on games than Microsoft who put new AAA products that are not easy to make, that was the point I was making. If MS are putting entertainment before games then they're doing a smashing job of both.

ironcreed

Banned
Who did that? Not me? Sony getting a bunch of indie ports does not indicate they're more focused on games than Microsoft who put new AAA products that are not easy to make, that was the point I was making. If MS are putting entertainment before games then they're doing a smashing job of both.

The Xbox One has more games and more features from what I can see. But it's all in what appeals to you, I guess.

Moving in the right direction. I don't see any problem with Xbox fans still having hope for our great X1's. Just like the Sony fan did with their PS3's. I don't remember any Sony fan jumping ship. They stayed on their ship and had great games towards the end of the cycle and leading up to that.

So will the X1.

This discussion of 'games-focused' thing and comparing both companies at those things is hard to properly compare effectively anyway.

My opinion of 2013 as far as 'gaems' were concerned, was that:

- Launch : XB1
- Overall company : Sony (PS4,3,V)
- Best exclusives line-up for a single platform : 3DS

All 3 of said companies delivered on games. It's only that each company chose different priorities.

Sony spread themselves pretty evenly. PS3 had a beastly year, Vita had a decent line-up, and PS4 had an okay exclusives line-up.

Nintendo and MS chose to emphasis different platforms for the year. XB1 and 3DS had the bulk of the love when it comes to games, at the expense of their other product (WiiU,360).

Bgamer90

Banned
This discussion of 'games-focused' thing and comparing both companies at those things is hard to properly compare effectively anyway.

My opinion of 2013 as far as 'gaems' were concerned, was that:

- Launch : XB1
- Overall company : Sony (PS4,3,V)
- Best exclusives line-up for a single platform : 3DS

All 3 of said companies delivered on games. It's only that each company chose different priorities.

Sony spread themselves pretty evenly. PS3 had a beastly year, Vita had a decent line-up, and PS4 had an okay exclusives line-up.

Nintendo and MS chose to emphasis different platforms for the year. XB1 and 3DS had the bulk of the love when it comes to games, at the expense of their other product (WiiU,360).

I 100% agree with this.

ironcreed

Banned
Moving in the right direction. I don't see any problem with Xbox fans still having hope for our great X1's. Just like the Sony fan did with their PS3's. I don't remember any Sony fan jumping ship. They stayed on their ship and had great games towards the end of the cycle and leading up to that.

So will the X1.

The truth. Hell, I ended up loving my PS3 more than my 360. Even back when it was being put to the flames of scrutiny. But as I sit on the sidelines of this new generation, the Xbox One is doing more to sell me right now.

jelly

Just listened to the podcast.

I like what I'm hearing. Phil gets it and so does Nadella. A big gaming push throughout. Good times for Microsoft. Proof in the pudding of course.

Hyb

Banned
Haha nice one.

cad-20140407-7b918.png

So from the interview we can work out that Phil is 46? Hes aged well, looks good in Quantum Break too - a bit more serious in that though

monome

Do I feel Phil is single-handedly turning the ship by behaving like a conscious and motivated leader of a well backed gaming plateform built with potentially exciting OS and add-on if the company keeps pushing them?

show me the games, Phil. show me. just click on the that load to youtube button. show me Halo2A.

Azih

Alright the Don Mattrick era is over, let's see what Phil Spencer's is like. Of course he has to deal with a machine that seemed to have been designed at the direction of TV TV TV TV TV TV TV Yusuf Mehdi TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV.

Did they ask what Yusuf Mehdi even does now?

TheOddOne

Phil talked to Josef Fares (Creative Director behind Brothers) recently.

My guess is that there will be some kind of publishing deal going on or it's just friendly chatter.

Phil likes Puzzle Platformers. This is good. :)

EDIT: Does anyone think he's really teasing Voodoo Vince? It would make a good budget game.

PressPlay (Max developers) are also announcing their new IP this week at PAX.

ppausyb.png

Yessiree, that's a triangle. Apart from it being at PAX, apparently there are first images of the game in the latest issue of Edge.

But I don't think that's the game Spencer was talking about, since it's obviously going to be revealed before E3.

Bahaha, Phil and Larry talking up VooDoo Vince again... this game is all but confirmed to show up at some point this generation, which I'm okay with.

Phil likes Puzzle Platformers. This is good. :)

EDIT: Does anyone think he's really teasing Voodoo Vince? It would make a good budget game.

Yep, him and Major are always mentioning/hinting at it, I could see a smaller team working on it at some point this gen for a digital release.

ppausyb.png

Yessiree, that's a triangle. Apart from it being at PAX, apparently there are first images of the game in the latest issue of Edge.

But I don't think that's the game Spencer was talking about, since it's obviously going to be revealed before E3.

Press Play defecting to Playstation confirmed?

Phil talked to Josef Fares (Creative Director behind Brothers) recently.

My guess is that there will be some kind of publishing deal going on or it's just friendly chatter.

Josef Fares next game isnt being made with Starbreeze and I did think based on how much Phil seems to like Brothers and that tweet that there is a good chance MS are funding/publishing/moneyhatting his next one

Top Bottom