• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With The Staggered Launch Of Smash Bros, How Are They Gonna Handle Spoilers And Such?

HUELEN10

We are getting a handheld smash this summer and a console one very late this year (10 days of winter this year). There are going to be released months apart from each other, and even though they have completely different courses and features, characters are gonna stay the same across both platforms. I can only speak for myself, but part of the fun of playing Smash at launch was discovering who made the cut and who didn't. Do you think Nintendo is just not gonna care enough and ignore this, or release half the roster on the 3DS and have the rest download when the console version comes out, or have things unlock based on calendar dates, or what?

Before this announcement, I think most of us assumed they would be released back to back. Now that we know for sure that they aren't, do you think that Nintendo plans to do anything to keep things fresh when the console one comes out? I mean, would there even be a point of having unlockable console characters if we will know about every single one? Heck, what will GAF's policy be for the 3DS game? People might be spoiled with avatars from art of a character months after released (which is general cool with people), yet it would spoil the console owners. Just some thoughts, as I don't think Nintendo's every had a release this staggered with this much potential to spoil.

Terrell

We are getting a handheld smash this summer and a console one very late this year (10 days of winter this year). There are going to be released months apart from each other, and even though they have completely different courses and features, characters are gonna stay the same across both platforms. I can only speak for myself, but part of the fun of playing Smash at launch was discovering who made the cut and who didn't. Do you think Nintendo is just not gonna care enough and ignore this, or release half the roster on the 3DS and have the rest download when the console version comes out, or have things unlock based on calendar dates, or what?

Before this announcement, I think most of us assumed they would be released back to back. Now that we know for sure that they aren't, do you think that Nintendo plans to do anything to keep things fresh when the console one comes out? I mean, would there even be a point of having unlockable console characters if we will know about every single one? Heck, what will GAF's policy be for the 3DS game? People might be spoiled with avatars from art of a character months after released (which is general cool with people), yet it would spoil the console owners. Just some thoughts, as I don't think Nintendo's every had a release this staggered with this much potential to spoil.
Uhhhh... there wasn't any "surprise" characters in Brawl to my knowledge. I knew exactly who and what I was getting before I ever bought the game. Same with Melee.

I think you need to be more specific in what you're saying.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think Nintendo is just not gonna care enough and ignore this, or release half the roster on the 3DS and have the rest download when the console version comes out, or have things unlock based on calendar dates, or what?

I certainly hope not. I'd prefer the full game when I get my hands on it, no matter which version I get.

Considering half the marketing for this game so far has been showing off characters, I don't think they're going to make it easy to avoid spoilers. I'm not sure if they even consider presence of characters on a fighting game roster spoilers.

Also I don't think they'd stagger the release of characters, I'd like the full game when I buy the 3DS version thanks.

HUELEN10

What spoilers could there be in a game with no story?
Do we actually know that to be the case? last I checked was they weren't going full subspace emissary, but go more of the adventure mode melee route. Hell, that new 3DS mode revealed today shows me that they have more modes planned than we thought, and that could go for the console version as well. Frankly, I believe we just can't fully write-off some sort of story aspect quite yet.

For the record though, I'm not too concerned with story spoilers.

Andodalf

Banned
Nintendo? nothing. Gaf? It'll probably be the same as any other game's spoilers. Only they have no chance of containing who the special unlock able chars will be. It's too much of a draw for the fans. They want to be spoiled.

Reallink

Whoa, I thought the U and 3DS were the same game (a la PS All Stars Vita Vs. PS3) and presumed they would release at the same time. Mind blown.

Hatchtag

Banned
He said the characters would be the same across all platforms.
He never said he wouldn't hold back on releasing characters until the Wii U version came out.
I mean, they could potentially have all the characters out at the 3DS Launch. But, I honestly think they'll hold back on some until the Wii U's out, and release them on 3DS simultaneously via a free patch.

udivision

Uhhhh... there wasn't any "surprise" characters in Brawl to my knowledge. I knew exactly who and what I was getting before I ever bought the game. Same with Melee.

I think you need to be more specific in what you're saying.

Because of leaks...

I didn't... I mean, I never would've guessed a fighting game of all things would have people concerned about spoilers. In any case, I imagine Sakurai - having seen what happened in Brawl with the cinematic "rewards" being uploaded to YouTube and such - will have little regard for keeping any sort of secrets that are shared with the 3DS game.

I think the most Nintendo might do is simply not talk about shared 3DS/WiiU secrets.

Edit:
He never said he wouldn't hold back on releasing characters until the Wii U version came out.
I mean, they could potentially have all the characters out at the 3DS Launch. But, I honestly think they'll hold back on some until the Wii U's out, and release them on 3DS simultaneously via a free patch.

The only way I see that working is if they keep entirely silent about those characters until the Wii U release, and then go "surprise, free characters for both in celebration of the launch!" Otherwise, they'll just be (rightfully) called out for withholding content.

Guevara

Wait... The 3DS version comes out this summer and the Wii U version doesn't come out until winter?

How they hell does Nintendo expect to sell more than like 2 copies of the Wii U release? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They took a guaranteed system seller for the Wii U and neutered it.

Considering half the marketing for this game so far has been showing off characters, I don't think they're going to make it easy to avoid spoilers. I'm not sure if they even consider presence of characters on a fighting game roster spoilers.

Also I don't think they'd stagger the release of characters, I'd like the full game when I buy the 3DS version thanks.

When Brawl released (or slightly before), all of the unlockable characters that got updates on the Dojo were hidden behind spoiler warnings.

Why?

When Brawl released (or slightly before), all of the unlockable characters that got updates on the Dojo were hidden behind spoiler warnings.

Really? I actually didn't know that. I guess there is is some weird precedent for this.

Pompadour

This is what I'm thinking. If this was any other company aside from Nintendo making the game I would say it was a sure thing (aside from the "free" part).

HUELEN10

Were all characters, even spoilered unlockables posted before launch though? I could have sworn that Wolf and Jigglypuff at least came out on the site after launch of the game.

Reallink

Wait... The 3DS version comes out this summer and the Wii U version doesn't come out until winter?

How they hell does Nintendo expect to sell more than like 2 copies of the Wii U release? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They took a guaranteed system seller for the Wii U and neutered it.

I think there's going to be a sizable contingency for whom the topic at hands is that the U and 3DS versions are apparently not the same game and are releasing at completely different times. Anyone who has only casually followed the title through Nintendo's deceptive unveil are going to be confused.

VariantX

No one cares about spoilers in a party game and even less for a fighting game. Smash happens to be both of these. Character roster and stage info are selling points, and the more info you have, the better to sell the game with.

Kazerei

Banned
Well, I guess it would be a nice surprise to discover the characters, assists, stages, etc. for yourself as you unlock them. But if you were worried about spoilers I think you'd have to avoid the internet for months and months. Like half the roster has been revealed already. To me, knowing the roster doesn't spoil the game at all.

To allow for more time to work on the characters + to get the 3DS version out sooner + to help sell the Wii U version.

I feel like if they needed more time to work on the characters, they'd just release the 3DS version at the same time as the Wii U one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Complaining about spoilers in a fighting game, even when it comes to secret characters, is something I cannot comprehend at all.

HUELEN10

I feel like if they needed more time to work on the characters, they'd just release the 3DS version at the same time as the Wii U one.
Last investor's meeting though Iwata said that the 3DS would help them push forward. Is there any other Nintendo game for the 3DS slated this summer?

Perhaps they knew that they needed something big for that platform this summer, and to keep something big for the console this holiday, as to make sure that there is a minimum number of holiday hitters. Just a thought. Which means that working on the rest of the characters in the meantime is something that might very well be on the table.

Hatchtag

Banned

Well, yeah, but this way they make a little more money.
Some people aren't going to buy the 3DS version if they think they'll get jipped.
Some people aren't going to buy the Wii U version if its got only characters from the 3DS version.
If they hold back on, say, 5 and then add them in to the 3DS version via patch, they satisfy these people.

Neiteio

I think we'll know all of the characters once the 3DS version comes out, and then the appeal of the WiiU version will be playing together with friends on the same TV in glorious HD with all-new stages and exclusive yet-to-be-detailed modes and other features that make it feel like a new experience even if the characters by that point will be familiar.

You really think people will mind finding out that Wart is in both games?

smb2-thumb1.jpg

HUELEN10

I think there's going to be a sizable contingency for whom the topic at hands is that the U and 3DS versions are apparently not the same game and are releasing at completely different times. Anyone who has only casually followed the title through Nintendo's deceptive unveil are going to be confused.

There will be people confused indeed. Yet another reason why, no with staggered release more than ever, the game needs a name change. Calling it Smash Bros For 3DS, and then getting Smash Bros for Wii U will make some people go "hurr durr, I already have it for 3DS. Welp, don't need to spend money on an 8th gen console to play the game, I already have it".

It could potentially hurt game sales and Wii U sales period.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Were all characters, even spoilered unlockables posted before launch though? I could have sworn that Wolf and Jigglypuff at least came out on the site after launch of the game.
They were not on the website. People are conflating the leak that happened here in GAF with the posterior Dojo updates.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Smash rosters are the only type of spoiler I actively seek out. In a game where the playable characters are the main attraction, I want to know who they are.

Thank you for also answering my biggest question about the two versions of the game.

Ivan 3414

Complaining about spoilers in a fighting game, even when it comes to secret characters, is something I cannot comprehend at all.

Considering the sheer amount of history and nostalgia in a Smash Bros game dwarfs any other fighting game...I don't think it's that hard of a concept.

Schnozberry

I don't buy this argument. People will buy both versions in droves. I can't see hardcore smash fans of the series being sated by the portable version. People want this game in 1080p with larger stages and local multiplayer.

HUELEN10

I don't buy this argument. People will buy both versions in droves. I can't see hardcore smash fans of the series being sated by the portable version. People want this game in 1080p with larger stages and local multiplayer.

Point is, if they keep things going the way they're going, they run the risk of claiming ONLY the core Smash fan audience and could miss out on the chance to expand that audience by brining new people into the fold.

Remember, Wii U needs all the help it can fucking get.

Top Bottom