• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria - Details on battle system (Graces-like), characters, and screens

Soriku

For those of you who haven't checked out the Tales of Zestiria megathread lately, here are some of the most recent details.

Battle system:

Battle Styles
So it looks like Zestiria's arte system/controls are based on Graces' A-arte and B-arte system. For now it seems like it's just continuing Graces' concept of getting rid of the normal attack button in favor of two arte buttons though (assuming they didn't dump it to L1 or something awkward like that), no confirmation of anything like arte trees for now. This may also make it safer assume this is using CC or something new instead of TP.

Humans' Battle Style
The Circle button is for Tokugi (I think these are usually called Base Artes in English?), which are faster and more mobile attacks. The X button is for Ougi (Arcane Artes), which are better at breaking through enemy defenses and I'm guessing are more powerful.

Tenzoku's Battle Style
The Circle button is for Tokugi that can be used to attack from mid-range, and the X button is for Tenkyoujutsu (magic artes), which are more powerful and can be used from a longer distance.

Artes
Miculio can learn the attacks Splash, Violet High, Twin Flow, Kirimizu, and Tachimizu.

Edna can learn Air Pressure, Rock Lance, Embrace End, Powder Snow, and Sky.

l_534e8744695f1lya79.jpg

l_534e87469ca00gfzwo.jpg

Slay’s Battle Style

Slay is armed with a ceremonial sword he found in the ancient ruins, and believes in striking the enemy quickly. He will learn many artes and fast attacks to accompany his swift movements, in addition to a variety of attribute attacks, enhancing his own abilities, and making free use of special skills.

ToZ_Fami-shot_03-19_003.jpg

ToZ_Fami-shot_03-19_004.jpg

Alicia’s Battle Style

Alicia is armed with a spear taller than her body, which she thrusts in swift strikes, and can effectively attack enemies in her surrounding vicinity as well as in front. Although her defenses might be open after an attack, she can keep a more advantageous stance while fighting by utilizing her skills in coordination with steps and movement. By making full use of traditional skills and dynamic movement, attacking and evading during battles are all the more possible.

ToZ_Fami-shot_03-19_005.jpg

ToZ_Fami-shot_03-19_006.jpg

Source Source

For those not familiar with Tales of Graces battle system, here is a video showing off a cameo battle against Tales of Hearts' heroine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKDXP4Jqv0

Known location names:

Lake Piro Plateau
The Lake Maiden's Temple
Vivia Waterway Ruins

Source

New characters:

Mikulio

l_530457fc83f9e1xusw.jpg

l_530457fbca89et7ub3.jpg

l_530457fc30ba19pu1j.jpg

l_530457fab97651eu06.jpg

A rival and close friend of Slay’s from the Family of Heaven. Since their infancy, the two were raised together in Izuchi. As Mikurio and Slay would play inside the ruins, Mikurio himself also took interest in them. He plays a role in calmly pointing out Slay’s erratic behavior, and often argues with Slay about his archaeological interpretations. He can use Heaven Echo Artes, which take on the water attribute. Given that Slay has the spiritual power required to see members of the Family of Heaven, he is able to see Mikurio. Alicia, however, cannot. Members of this divine family have been given a near-ageless lifespan.

Designed by Mutsumi Inomata. He fights using a staff. He is a water-elemental Tenzoku/Family of Heaven member.

Edna

Tales-of-Zestiria_2014_03-27-14_017.jpg_600.jpg

Tales-of-Zestiria_2014_03-27-14_016.jpg_600.jpg

Tales-of-Zestiria_2014_03-27-14_014.jpg_600.jpg

Tales-of-Zestiria_2014_03-27-14_015.jpg_600.jpg

Edna is a young girl of the Family of Heaven with the ability to use earth attribute Heaven Echo Artes. Her cute outward appearance doesn’t match her image, as she takes on a more robotic and adult-like attitude, and enjoys teasing others with her sharp tongue. She has always lived alone, but perhaps she is actually longing for others? She is always composed, but when it comes to her older brother, her only family, she is beside herself and becomes emotional.

She's designed Minoru Iwamoto and her weapon is an umbrella. She is earth-elemental.

Lyla

l_534e87407558adyzl6.jpg

l_534e873e77d25n5y39.jpg

l_534e874236da2fwzbn.jpg

Lailah is an adult woman who provides advice as an instructor. Sometimes, however, her mind tends to run wild with strange delusions. She has been waiting for someone with the qualities of a doshi, and signs a marriage contract with Slay after a fateful meeting. By her becoming a vessel of the Family of Heaven, Slay acquires a special power to calm the brutal Hyoma.

Designed by Mutsumi Inomata. She fights uses pages of paper. She is fire-elemental.

Source Source

As for Lailah/Lyla, the info is also from Gematsu, but there's a scan, so no link.

Game catch phrase/genre:

Its catch copy is “Legend will one day become ‘hope.’” As for its genre, it’s an RPG, of course, but Tales games are usually assigned their own sub-genre of RPG. This one is a “Passion that Illuminates the World RPG.”

Same Gematsu source as Lyla.

Other stuff:

*Iwamoto is in charge of the art direction (they were also art director for Vesperia). Working with Fujishima and Inomata.

*Systems are all new.

Source

TreIII

Finally. After the Xillia games, I can finally be excited to play a Tales game again.

Back to Destiny DC/Graces-style combat again!

It's hard to tell from the trailers but do we know if there is still a battle arena after we touch the monster on the world map or do we engage with monsters directly on the world map?

Rpgmonkey

As a very minor correction, Miculio's arte "Taramizu" should be "Tachimizu".

I found another blog that reported on the article and they're also saying that Humans and Tenzoku have different battle styles, so it looks like that's a distinction the actual magazine makes and not just a personal one Nore was making on his blog. With only two human party members compared to the three non-humans known so far (with at least one more non-human practically guaranteed) it's probably likely that we'll get one or two more human party members then, for a party of 8+ characters altogether.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If they bring back Grace's title system, it would shoot up to my #1 Most Anticipated.

Soriku

It's hard to tell from the trailers but do we know if there is still a battle arena after we touch the monster on the world map or do we engage with monsters directly on the world map?

We don't know yet, but there seems to be a sense of elevation in some battle shots as well as the surrounding environments (trees and such) being reflected in the battles. Even if it's not entirely seamless, they're making steps towards that.

Seda

Sounds good so far regarding the combat. I do hope dungeon/field design is a notch up from Graces/Xillia. From some of the screens shown, it's a little bland/empty.

raven777

Everything about this games sounds good so far. Only complaint is graphics.

Hopefully the US version doesn't have to wait too long and include JP voice.

zroid

Banned
Didn't follow the previous thread at all so everything I'm reading and seeing now is a delight.

I think I am going to like this game very much.

Aru

Great, I really loved the combat in Graces.
Also, is it confirmed which team is making this game? Team Destiny, I assume?

DR2K

Banned
Graces battle system with a decent plot and likable characters will make everyone happy I think.

jb1234

If they combine the battle system of Graces with halfway tolerable characters and a story, they might have a winner.

... what am I saying. This is a Tales game. Bring on the anime cliches!

I was excited for this game since its reveal.

And now that it's got a battle system similar to Graces.......awwww shiet. I WANT THIS NOW.

Vylash

Alicia's battle style seems like more my thing, I hope they bring back some old artes like Indignation, and keep Pixie Circle

Rpgmonkey

Great, I really loved the combat in Graces.
Also, is it confirmed which team is making this game? Team Destiny, I assume?

Doesn't really have a team, I think. For those interested I think this is all the known staff so far:

Producer: Hideo Baba
(Game/Combat Design?): Tatsurou Udo (Basically a Team Destiny guy)
Music: Motoi Sakuraba, Go Shiina
Art Direction: Minoru Iwamoto
Character Design: Daigo Okumura, Kousuke Fujishima, Mutsumi Inomata, Minoru Iwamoto

Lucentto

Banned
Doesn't really have a team, I think. For those interested I think this is all the known staff so far:

Character Design: Daigo Okumura, Kousuke Fujishima, Mutsumi Inomata, Minoru Iwamoto

Go Shiina and Graces battle system? Hype, need game and soundtrack now.

Ascenion

Meh. I might be in the minority but I did not like Graces' battle system. It felt way to easy and spam-able even on higher difficulties. I found Xillia to be a nice balance. Hoping they tweak it a bit.

Flowmoney

They still couldn't give Alicia pants or at least a skirt? Who feels the need to fight with their lower body exposed in battle being some type of knight?

Besides that game sounds decent enough.

Mik317

Just make the main character not a complete dumbass or a bland stick in the mud and I am there.

seriously the main cast (the MC in particular) have ruined the last two game for me lol.

Soriku

Meh. I might be in the minority but I did not like Graces' battle system. It felt way to easy and spam-able even on higher difficulties. I found Xillia to be a nice balance. Hoping they tweak it a bit.

I thought Graces was super hard on Evil/Chaos (with regards to bosses and some enemies; most enemies were manageable though. But damn those enemies in the ice cave in the future arc hit like trains). I don't know why, and I've heard a number of people say the game was easy even on higher difficulties. I can't get the timing for dodges right for a lot of bosses...

Xillia was pretty easy though, even on Hard, and I've beaten bosses that people have struggled with on my first try (with no grinding as that's unnecessary, though I grinded in Graces F). Xillia 2 seems to have rectified this though.

They still couldn't give Alicia pants or at least a skirt? Who feels the need to fight with their lower body exposed in battle being some type of knight?

Besides that game sounds decent enough.

Costumes.

is it just me or has tales games looked progressively worse since vesperia?

could be the lighting... but those character models ain't doing much for me.

ZeroX03

Banned
So it looks like Zestiria's arte system/controls are based on Graces' A-arte and B-arte system

Boom. Can't bring myself to replay Xillia, it just wasn't as fun, but Graces was so god damn good. CC > TP.

jb1234

Boom. Can't bring myself to replay Xillia, it just wasn't as fun, but Graces was so god damn good. CC > TP.

Other way around for me. Graces characters and story were so excruciating that just the thought of playing the game again fills me with dread.

Who plays Tale of for graphics? You play it for the story.

god damn it ;)

hope this one can keep 60fps in the world map/town.

who am i kidding.

lets just hope its 60 most of the time in battle.

you know, ive still not beaten the extra chapter of graces.... ill get to it someday... no i wont

Aru

So basically there will be a Zestiria team, going forward? :p
So far, after beating 2 Team Destiny games (Eternia and Graces F) and 2 Team Symphonia games (Abyss and Vesperia, didn't like Symphonia), I think I like Team Destiny games more. Even if Vesperia is my favorite Tales of, right now.

I just wish they would choose another composer than Sakuraba. He is a great composer, but they keep asking him to do classic "Tales of" music, so the tracks aren't really memorable...

Soriku

So basically there will be a Zestiria team, going forward? :p
So far, after beating 2 Team Destiny games (Eternia and Graces F) and 2 Team Symphonia games (Abyss and Vesperia, didn't like Symphonia), I think I like Team Destiny games more. Even if Vesperia is my favorite Tales of, right now.

I just wish they would choose another composer than Sakuraba. He is a great composer, but they keep asking him to do classic "Tales of" music, so the tracks aren't really memorable...

Basically the Hearts team (if you could call it that; they also made Xillia 1 and 2) is making this game. But the Hearts team has people from both Team Symphonia and Team Destiny.

For this game specifically they brought back Tatsuro Udo (though he did some work on Xillia 2), Go Shiina who hasn't composed for a Tales game since Legendia, and Minoru Iwamoto who did character designs for the Radiant Mythology games.

Hype rising. This game will be released worldwide simultaneously right? It's late this year or early next year?

Simultaneous release hasn't been confirmed, though a localization has. It'll probably this year for Japan, next year for us.

Aeana

Weird that I didn't see a lot of these art style complaints about Xillia, they look super similar to me.

Top Bottom