• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Unknown device has approved by Korea RRA

catmario

SsOg32r.jpg

http://rra.go.kr/m/status/seview.jsp?app_no=201417100000078090

Nintendo's unknown device has appeared in Korea RRA.

Model name is WIS-009

In description, It's a "Compact Video Player". What's this? New platform? New peripheral?

P.S. Slightly Fixed. compact is more right than portable.

Buggy Loop

Probably some genius at nintendo was pondering how to counter the mobile scene, and rather than ally themselves with a mobile manufacturer they had this great idea..

Make a mobile video player! No phone, no music, just videos and maybe miiverse! So that they can cram you with all the video promotions of their upcoming games on wiiU and 3DS and then call it a day.

69wpm

Product code is WIS, Wii U peripherals are WUP so I'd say it's not a new platform but some sort of accessory.

Edit: Well, a video player, interesting.

L~A

Product code is WIS, Wii U peripherals are WUP so I'd say it's not a new platform but some sort of accessory.

Edit: Well, a video player, interesting.

If it was a new peripheral for the Wii U, it'd still have WUP as PC. So it's definitely something new. Could be anything, really.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
It's clearly Ultra Gameboy, more powerful than a PS4, 4K res on a 7 inch screen and has proprietary 50 GB capacity cartridges.

That or another 3DS model.

Josh7289

Here's the 3DS, if I'm not mistaken: http://rra.go.kr/m/status/seview.jsp?app_no=201215701000092816

All of Nintendo's portable consoles seem to have this classification: 특정소출력무선기기(무선데이타통신시스템및무선LAN용)

I don't know Korean but Google Translate says: "Specific low power wireless device (wireless data communication system and the wireless LAN)"

So... since Nintendo's past portable consoles do not have the "Portable Video Player" classification, this is probably not a new console.

EDIT: Plus this new thing is actually made in Japan, for whatever that's worth, whereas Nintendo's portable consoles are made in China.

EDIT 2: Then again, the 2DS is listed as being made in Japan, though at least the American version is made in China, right?

69wpm

If it was a new peripheral for the Wii U, it'd still have WUP as PC. So it's definitely something new. Could be anything, really.

Sure, the product code is just similar to the one used for Wii U hardware. The 3DS product codes start with CTR. Of course it could be just a coincidence. Maybe it's something similiar to the Vita TV?

Jackano

Not to mention it's the 9th product in its line.

The "WI" suggest Wii/WiiU local designation (while it is supposed to be RVL or WUP).

008-009 number are usually video cable, composite or HDMI.
There is also no RVL-008 product, just to add to the mystery.

I'm thinking at "it's nothing", like some local version of the old DS TV adapter.

TimmiT

Maybe it's the Wii U gamepad? They said that they'd sell those separately at some point right? And it technically is a portable video player.

monome

the idea that QoL won't require any kind of device is ridiculous.

Nintendo will probably market it as more of back-end service but they will of course use hardware and if possible their own.

I expect QoL to be available through 3DS/Wiiu/PC/mobile and a showcase yet cheap hardware.

Portable video player makes sense. You get info displayed and absence of sticks/buttons will strike people's minds that Nintendo is indeed producing a non-gaming hardware because they are actually entering the non-gaming business.

Probably some genius at nintendo was pondering how to counter the mobile scene, and rather than ally themselves with a mobile manufacturer they had this great idea..

Make a mobile video player! No phone, no music, just videos and maybe miiverse! So that they can cram you with all the video promotions of their upcoming games on wiiU and 3DS and then call it a day.
Don't talk like that!!
You may not be that far off the mark!

Heyt

Banned
A portable video player so we can watch any Nintendo Direct Anytime. Even the ones that have not been filmed yet.

Brilliant.

Buggy Loop

Don't talk like that!!
You may not be that far off the mark!

I was right about the DK frozen banana crate promotion in canada, im starting to understand nintendo management muhahaha.

I still like them, just like i dont personnaly hate the village idiot if he's entertaining me

ngower

Has to be a new Wii U SKU, surely? This is about the time in a product's cycle when Nintendo usually introduce a redesign or added features, right? Maybe they've added something to it to increase it's perceived value (maybe a BR drive, bigger HDD, something of that sort?).

Just throwing out ideas, don't crucify me.

wsippel

Banned
Interesting. It's not in Singapore's Telecom Licensing System database (yet), where most Wii U devkits appeared first.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we know if products like PokèWalker, the Wii Fit U thing have been rated in Korea? And how?

I'm with this idea, but the 009 in WiiU is used for the Console Stands in the WUP series and video composite cable for Wii in the RVL series, could be any accessory.

Except it's listed as a portable video player, and it's been approved for radio inteference testing, so it's most likely a wireless video display of some kind. The numbering doesn't mean much except have us wondering what 001 is.

Redesigned gamepad?

Most likely if not their new QOL thing. But I think the console will be redesigned too if this is product 009.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Can't be. They're starting with health, and I don't see how a portable movie player can help you with your health :eek:

Not particularly. I am very confident that at least one of their main QOL platforms will essentially be a Nintendo kindle device. A touch-screen tablet for adult / geriatric market with downloadable versions of Brain Age, English Training, Personal Trainer, Cooking Guide, etc.

Top Bottom