• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just don't get media censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I realize some things can be considered obscene or vulgar, and some people may not want to be exposed to that material. Fair game. Generally, we see media censoring words, body parts, indecent gestures, and so forth. That's the thing I don't get though, anyone with a brain can figure out what are behind the curtains within context. The only group who sees any sort of benefit from this are a younger audience who are clearly ignorant.

For example, when someone sticks up a middle finger, it is blocked out, but there are really not many justifications for bleeping out someone's hand, so it's obvious it's a middle finger. In this instance, wouldn't that mean that someone who is normally offended by this gesture would still be offended, since the media they are watching implies the gesture?

But let's delve a little further onto the ignorant people, say little Johnny is watching something that is clearly intended for older audience on television. He's not able to really discern what is behind any of the censored words, and yet there's violence and drug use, two pieces of mature subject matter. Who's to say that those scenes should not be censored as well to protect little Johnny?

Let's stop talking about american media and talk about Japan, specifically their adult material. It makes zero sense to censor male and female genitalia, media which is strictly marketed towards adults. To even imply that someone underage and ignorant were to get a hold of such material, I'm confident the censors are NOT going to somehow make the material suitable, shielding them only until they eventually learn these things.

Long story short, unless the offensive subject matter is removed entirely to where it does not even exist within any sort of context (different kind of censorship) , there is really no point in my opinion. I do not want to hear bleeps and see mosaics, such practices are annoying. Gaf, please tell me i'm missing something here, it can't just be for the kids.

On a side note, here's a reason why censorship is silly. Another one. Probably not the best examples to back my argument up :p

braves01

Banned
Let's stop talking about american media and talk about Japan, specifically their adult material. It makes zero sense to censor male and female genitalia

image.php

I don't really get the point of censoring that either, tbh

But let's delve a little further onto the ignorant people, say little Johnny is watching something that is clearly intended for older audience on television. He's not able to really discern what is behind any of the censored words, and yet there's violence and drug use, two pieces of mature subject matter. Who's to say that those scenes should not be censored entirely to protect little Johnny?

In America, saying "fuck" on tv or showing a nipple is far worse than any violence.

Remember GTA San Andreas and the hot coffee controversy? That game where you can shoot and drive over pedestrians for no reason and cause crazy violence everywhere. That's all fine, but then someone found out there's sex in the game files so it was immediately banned in America and they had to release a patched version.

PirateKing

In America, saying "fuck" on tv or showing a nipple is far worse than any violence.

Remember GTA San Andreas and the hot coffee controversy? That game where you can shoot and drive over pedestrians for no reason and cause crazy violence everywhere. That's all fine, but then someone found out there's sex in the game files so it was immediately banned in America and they had to release a patched version.

In Australia, the anal probing weapon in Saints Row got it banned until it was removed. Now this is the country that let Destroy All Humans in without any problem :|

I wish I could find the old Much Music cut version of the....uh, classic, sure, classic song Last Resort by Papa Roach.

It silenced all references to suicide, including the title to the song. It was one long silence censor, done completely unironically by the network. It was comedy gold.

Brakke

Banned
But without cable decency stuff, we wouldn't get Sammy J saying "get these monkey-fighting snakes off my Monday-to-Friday plane!" So I'm into it I guess.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

To be fair, there was a technicality behind this. When the game was classified, I don't think the original rating accounted for the sex. Even then, it was still pretty stupid. It's not like people could easily access the mod unless you were playing the pc version.

To be fair, there was a technicality behind this. When the game was classified, I don't think the original rating accounted for the sex. Even then, it was still pretty stupid. It's not like people could easily access the mod unless you were playing the pc version.

The technicality doesn't matter. The re-rating banned the game, that's the problem. It's totally fine to have a very violent game, but don't you dare have sex in it. That's what I meant - sex is considered far worse than violence in America.

styl3s

Our censorship has gotten better.

15 years ago you NEVER would of heard the kind of shit you hear on TV now. Same with the amount of violence shown in primetime shows, it's gotten much grittier. Just watch the grittiest show you can find from 1990-2001 (non HBO/SHO) and then watch The Shield. Yeah, it's not FOX, NBC, ABC but i think we have come aways. Also, years ago on i believe a saturday at like 3am i heard fuck on comedy central but i could of been hallucinating.

I get why they want to censor stuff in the mornings through out the day but from like 9-10pm to 4-5am it should be anything goes (well, reasonable. Again, cable TV i can see why you don't want to show nudity. But words shouldn't be censored.)

"You see what happens, Larry? You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?! You see what happens when you feed a stoner scrambled eggs?!"

I think they've gotten looser with the reins censorship wise actually, a least that's what it feels like compared to the 90s.

linkboy

Our censorship has gotten better.

15 years ago you NEVER would of heard the kind of shit you hear on TV now. Same with the amount of violence shown in primetime shows, it's gotten much grittier. Just watch the grittiest show you can find from 1990-2001 (non HBO/SHO) and then watch The Shield. Yeah, it's not FOX, NBC, ABC but i think we have come aways. Also, years ago on i believe a saturday at like 3am i heard fuck on comedy central but i could of been hallucinating.

I get why they want to censor stuff in the mornings through out the day but from like 9-10pm to 4-5am it should be anything goes (well, reasonable. Again, cable TV i can see why you don't want to show nudity. But words shouldn't be censored.)

Cable isn't regulated like the OTA channels are, which is why Comedy Central can get away with airing the uncensord version of the South Park movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom