• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladdamad

27126.jpg

These books were/are amazing. The writing was great, with fun references to classic literature, the illustrations were gorgeous, and while the early books were a bit repetitive, once the overarching mystery started to come into play things got really intriguing. The whole fourth-wall breaking stuff was really clever, and the supplementary material (the autobiography, letters from Beatrice, etc.) expanded on the mythology without revealing everything until the very last book. The whole series was definitely underrated. Anyone else enjoy this series?

Randdalf

I only ever read The End and The Penultimate Peril, my sister got the audio books of the rest - all read by Tim Curry - from the library and they were absolutely fantastic. Seriously, if you've never read these, consider getting the audiobook because it's so well done.

Lijik

I remember loving the series and being way into the lore (I bought the lemony snicket biography and letters to Beatrice sidebooks), but being heavily disappointed by the last book. I cant remember what I didnt like about it anymore though.

I also remember being nitpicky and not liking that Olaf's tattoo design was changed when it became a key part of the backstory.

Loved these books as a kid. This username I've been using for years on various different places came from the school's motto in the fifth book.

I read the series and still don't remember what VFD stood for.
Volunteer Fire Department amongst other things.

kris.

Banned
i got up to The Penultimate Peril but by then i was so lost as to what was going on because i had this awful habit of skip-reading when i was little so i never finished the series. amazing books, though.

kai3345

Banned
I got to book 9 and just sort of stopped after that. Can someone infodump some of the big revelations revealed in the last book?

vladdamad

I remember loving the series and being way into the lore (I bought the lemony snicket biography and letters to Beatrice sidebooks), but being heavily disappointed by the last book. I cant remember what I didnt like about it anymore though.

I can understand why, from what I can remember they didn't really fully spell out the answer to all the mysteries. The book ends with a vital piece of information that puts the entire series into a different context, but a lot is left unexplained (although it was possible to put a lot of it together using the other information).

EDIT: HUGE ENDING SPOILERS
it was revealed that Beatrice, the woman to whom all the books in the series were dedicated to by the fictional author, was the mother of the three children. This meant that Lemony Snicket, who turns out to be a character in the books, was probably writing the account of the lives of the children in a way to atone for his not being able to take care of them. The ending also implies that the kids may have died at sea trying to escape the island, making the whole thing even more tragic.

DominoKid

Loved this series but I don't remember much about it. It's been so long since I thought about it. I think I gave all the books away.

I loved these. I felt I was too old for them really, but they were still plenty clever and you could get through one in a few hours.

I would love to know what actually happened at the end though as I never finished it :(

Wait after the op fixed the picture, I definitely had and read that last book. I just don't remember what happened I guess.

They were adorable and had fun little bits of darker humor. I'd rather read this with my kid than Harry Potter.

I loved these books as a kid. Hardly remember them though as some people have said. I should pick them up again for some light reading.

Also I liked how not everything was properly or fully explained. It's like real life, you can't know everything.

L1NETT

Remember loving them, but can't remember the foggiest about them now lol

Just reading the wiki about them shows how many references/allusions that passed me by when I was younger.

vladdamad

Also, fun fact: every installment had an illustration at the end. Each of these illustrations had a reference to the next book in the series. So for example, Slippery Slope had mushrooms growing in the background - mushrooms were a key plot point in the next book, Grim Grotto.

Rough_Waters.jpg

The ending to the series was pretty sad, especially the implication
that the baudelaires might have died at sea trying to leave the island

The boxed collection on Amazon looks amazing, I'd grab it in a heartbeat if i wasn't broke.

Edit:found a good image of it

Toth

I can understand why, from what I can remember they didn't really fully spell out the answer to all the mysteries. The book ends with a vital piece of information that puts the entire series into a different context, but a lot is left unexplained (although it was possible to put a lot of it together using the other information).

it was revealed that Beatrice, the woman to whom all the books in the series were dedicated to by the fictional author, was the mother of the three children. This meant that Lemony Snicket, who turns out to be a character in the books, was probably writing the account of the lives of the children in a way to atone for his not being able to take care of them. The ending also implies that the kids may have died at sea trying to escape the island, making the whole thing even more tragic.

I remember being so disappointed by the last book because it really has no 'end'.
There is no resolution for the children, Beatrice, and their friends. It was such an odd but exciting world that ended before it should have :(

The movie was awesome though and Jim Carrey was really good at Olaf. I was always disappointed they did not continue with the series,

These books came out when I was in college and I remember picking up the first three books after reading an article about it in some magazine. I devoured the first three books (It's not hard) and just forgot to grab the rest of the series. I liked what I read, just sort of forgot to get the rest of them. Maybe I'll pick up the series again and read them to my kids.

AHA-Lambda

I second being disappointed in the last book for lack of revelations but I should probably have another look at it now that I'm older. I hadn't even realised that potential ending outcome

bengraven

Kind of sensing it here and have noticed how the series kind of wavered after a while.

I loved the first three books I read, wasn't that into the film at all. But I saw a ton of potential for something great - was it really a disappointment? My excuse for not having read more is that there were just so many of them.

mantidor

The movie was awesome though and Jim Carrey was really good at Olaf. I was always disappointed they did not continue with the series,

I read that the problem was that the kids grew up too fast. You can even see it through the movie.

bengraven

Fucking loved the art and the style of the books. I should really pick the rest up cheap somewhere.

But I think I read somewhere that an earlier book in the series references
one or more of the children as adults, basically disproving the ending long before it was even published?

Gorillaz

I read that the problem was that the kids grew up too fast. You can even see it through the movie.
Nick waited too long from what I heard to do a sequel and they pretty much started to outgrow the series. Like they were going to do a sequel 2-3 years later but it was too late

Cerity

I remember really liking them as a kid but never finished the saga, I probably should get around to it sooner or later.

AHA-Lambda

Fucking loved the art and the style of the books. I should really pick the rest up cheap somewhere.

But I think I read somewhere that an earlier book in the series references
one or more of the children as adults, basically disproving the ending long before it was even published?

Yep, that'll be why I didn't twig the ending people are talking about.

Kind of sensing it here and have noticed how the series kind of wavered after a while.

I loved the first three books I read, wasn't that into the film at all. But I saw a ton of potential for something great - was it really a disappointment? My excuse for not having read more is that there were just so many of them.

I feel that the fact that they hit a new place every book (except for the last few? I forget) really hit it hard. You're stuck treading a lot of the same old ground and it starts being like a phineas and ferb episode and it tries to play off that but doesn't quite get there. It was just repetitive after a while and it kept stringing you along for so long (VFD is THIS, no it's THAT, no it's actually THIS) that it just got exhausting.

jwk94

I remember loving this series up until I think the Slippery Slope. By that time I was fed up with the whole "don't read these books!" That "Snicket" put in each installment.

The real turning point of the series is The Vile Village (and I doubt it's a coincidence that it happens to be right in the middle of the series), and I like that in the second half of the series, it doesn't shy away from dealing with morality. The Baudelaires do some pretty bad stuff later on, and it doesn't just get swept under the rug like in the final Harry Potter book.

vladdamad

Theres a movie about these books. Is it any good?

I remember being a little annoyed that they messed up the order of the plot (it's based on the first three books), and a lot of the appeal of the series comes from the fourth-wall breaking stuff, so a lot of that is lost in the film, but visually it looks absolutely fantastic, and Jim Carrey is great in it. It's a shame we never got a sequel, and you can tell they were planning one due to the overarching lore elements that were included (
the VFD spyglass
).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I too have only seen the movie. I loved it a lot and was sad that along with Hitchhikers Guide didn't get to be series' of movies unlike the Narnia series which I've only ever seen the first film of.

I'd much rather have HHGG and LSASOUE.

zeemumu

I read the series and still don't remember what VFD stood for.

Volunteer Fire Department was the main one I think. Whatever it was, VFD was just the abbreviation for the secret organization. What was the significance of the sugar bowl again? Did it have coordinates on it or something?

Does anyone remember the Unauthorized Autobiography? It was a collection of papers and censored files.

Valhelm

contribute something
The absolute best thing about these books are the layers upon layers of secrets and subtext. Every single time a bell is rung, somebody says a coded message. Daniel Handler is phenomenal.

These books are so wonderfully quirky and cohesive. They're probably among the top ten best kids' series, not too far below Harry Potter.

hamchan

Love these books. Always thought that they were pretty brutal for young kids to read but then I realized kids will have to eventually be introduced to homicidal maniacs that commit arson, might as well make it a funny one.

Didn't the kids get swallowed up by a big question mark or something in the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom