• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hallow Fragment to also include PSP title Infinity Moment

Flarin

Bandai Namco said:
BANDAI NAMCO Games America Inc. today announced storyline details and inclusion of a companion title in Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, which is scheduled to arrive in the Americas on the PlayStation®Vita as a digital exclusive in summer 2014. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment will contain an HD version of the previous game in the franchise titled Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment, which was originally released in Japan for the PlayStation®Portable. The exciting game combo celebrates the two titles featured together for the first time ever. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is based off the light novel, manga and anime Sword Art Online and emulates the Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (VRMMORPG) gameplay from the Sword Art Online storyline. Multiplayer role playing gameplay will feature a pseudo Massively Multiplayer Online element so that players feel immersed in a massive virtual reality (VR) world.

I posted this in the announcement thread but thought it deserved it's own. Lock if unnecessary.

Takao

Banned
Wasn't it like this in the Japanese release too? While writing an article about this game, I stumbled upon the information that it contained the first game.

This is now going to be preordered by me. Is this really going to be two standalone games, or are they just including the quests and cutscene content from the previous game into the new game?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The PSP was garbage from what i read though - still a nice extra.

Sitrus

Didn't we know this already? Seeing as Hollow Fragment is the HD remake of Infinity Moment plus an extra story arc? You have the story of the original in addition to the new one. Don't think they meant the PSP too, just that it is "included" in the Hollow Fragment. "HD" like they said is not a word used for the PSP I think.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
That is some big news right there and pretty damned impressive.
Truthfully though there is no reason to play the original Infinity Moment for the most part, besides seeing some of the scenes where certain characters show up in the world in more detail.
That and unless they redid how the UI and stuff worked, I think people would go insane trying to play the original Vs. All the redone mechanics in Hollow Fragment.
Regardless of that damned good deal you guys are getting.

The post quoted below sounds more correct truthfully. As there would be no real reason to have included the original infinity moment asides from those wanting to see the starting portions of the game in more detail really. As everything else is basically in Hollow Fragment + all the improvements to gameplay, UI and mechanics.

Didn't we know this already? Seeing as Hollow Fragment is the HD remake of Infinity Moment plus an extra story arc? You have the story of the original in addition to the new one. Don't think they meant the PSP too, just that it is "included" in the Hollow Fragment. "HD" like they said is not a word used for the PSP I think.

Thats a good point there. Since truthfully wouldnt make sense otherwise. As there really isnt that much to see in IM besides the starting stuff as mentioned. Kinda makes it redundant.

TheChaos0

You will know when to stop. And trust me, you will be better off for doing so.

I'm going to present a counter point and say that while second part is not as good as the first part, it is still worth watching, if only to see cheer when it happens to the antagonist.

zulux21

The amount of content in this game is going to make it hard to pass up day 1.

It'll be pretty obvious where the first arc ends. And when it does, stop. Seriously, don't watch the episode after.

Heh, this whole thread reminds me of Death Note where everyone tells other people not to watch the second half because it's garbage despite the fact that the second half is decent, just not nearly on par with the first half lol.

Despite a few questionable story choices I still quite enjoyed the second half of sword art.

Either way this game should be a blast, hopefully the story is at least decent... I do need to look up how the multiplayer works in the title though (aside from being ad hoc only) such as can I play through the story MP or is it just extra missions that you make a character for that take place but aren't tied to the game.

Tohsaka

So, is this the same as the Japanese release or is the western one getting more content or something? Some of the posts were kinda confusing.

Ogawa-san

Heh, this whole thread reminds me of Death Note where everyone tells other people not to watch the second half because it's garbage despite the fact that the second half is decent, just not nearly on par with the first half lol.
Was about to comment on that, Death Note's arc change made me feel like drop kicking puppies and burning down my house. SAO can't be that bad.... can it?

Sitrus

Either way this game should be a blast, hopefully the story is at least decent... I do need to look up how the multiplayer works in the title though (aside from being ad hoc only) such as can I play through the story MP or is it just extra missions that you make a character for that take place but aren't tied to the game.

Can clear it up a bit. MP is ad-hoc with 3 other players. Each with their own partner. Or you can play with 3 cpus plus your partner. You cannot progress the story playing MP but you have access to all areas in the Hollow Area. You play as the character you made in the beginning. It's quite chaotic with 8 characters indeed. The computer controlled players can be anyone on your friendlist who can fight.

zulux21

Was about to comment on that, Death Note's arc change made me feel like drop kicking puppies and burning down my house. SAO can't be that bad.... can it?

Honestly I am not sure which show I would consider having more questionable choices in the second half... both do some very stupid things from time to time... but in general I enjoyed both. If I had to pick one though, I would say Sword art had the bigger quality drop with some very creepy choices. (both are among my favorite animes of all time though :p)

Can clear it up a bit. MP is ad-hoc with 3 other players. Each with their own partner. Or you can play with 3 cpus plus your partner. You cannot progress the story playing MP but you have access to all areas in the Hollow Area. You play as the character you made in the beginning. It's quite chaotic with 8 characters indeed. The computer controlled players can be anyone on your friendlist who can fight.

so do you have access to all the missions in the game, or are there a lot that are just story only... or does it work more like Phantasy Star Online where you can't progress the story, but you can play any mission you already did in the story (such a pain in PSO to replay levels enough so you were powerful enough to continue the story quickly so you could play new levels with friends on the gamecube lol)

bigkrev

Death Note is bad, but SAO is legitimately offensive in ways other than lack of quality.

Its the kind of stuff that makes you go "I don't think I could be friends with someone who defends this"

problem with sao is the writer clearly has no clue how to end final boss fights and ends up slapping in the most laziest and random mcguffin leaving you pretty bummed out and feel like you wasted your time.

CamHostage

Whoa... that's a lot of work for a Vita release (there's not even an HD release of the first game scheduled for Japan, right?) it'd be great if it pays off for Bandai Namco.

I'm not a fan of the SAO anime but I like what I saw in the discussion of the game in a previous GAF thread and I loves my Vita so I'm tempted by this release.

Sitrus

so do you have access to all the missions in the game, or are there a lot that are just story only... or does it work more like Phantasy Star Online where you can't progress the story, but you can play any mission you already did in the story (such a pain in PSO to replay levels enough so you were powerful enough to continue the story quickly so you could play new levels with friends on the gamecube lol)

Some areas there will have places which will activate a mission just for that area. Think it's more like Xenoblade. You get them while walking around. I think parakeetman's videos may explain that better than me.

Whoa... that's a lot of work for a Vita release (there's not even an HD release of the first game scheduled for Japan, right?) it'd be great if it pays off for Bandai Namco.

The game released in Japan is the remake of the first plus extra content.

TimmiT

Haven't watched Death Note, but as for SAO's second arc, here are a few examples for why it's so bad:
Kirito's "sister" who doesn't seem to mind showing her cleavage finds out that she's not his sister but really his cousin, so she decides that it's OK to fall in love with him. Asuna stays in a coma because the bad guy who likes to sexually molest her makes her and 299 other SAO players stay in that coma. Also the bad guy wants to marry Asuna while she's in the coma because then she can't say no and her parents are OK with that for some reason. Also Asuna is kept in a different MMO where everyone is a fairy so Kirito joins that MMO and he keeps his stats because plot. Also his sister/cousin just so happens to be playing that MMO as well.
And this is just in the first couple of episodes of the arc.

Articalys

So wait, does Hollow Fragment contain both its own new story plus the entire story ftom Infinity Moment? Are they different modes or do they somehow coexist in the same plot? I'm terribly confused.

edit for below post: well, okay then.

CamHostage

The game released in Japan is the remake of the first plus extra content.

Oh, you're right, this is kind of a cheat announcement based on info that should have been in the original press release...

From the Japanese Release:
"Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment's story will be separated into two chapters - the first chapter is a slightly modified version of the previous game, Infinity Moment, while the second is the brand new 'Hollow Area' chapter."
http://www.play-asia.com/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-paOS-13-49-en-70-76t9.html

Well, good to know at least. Hope the game turn's out well.

crinale

Yeah the fact it is rather "enhanced version" of SAO PSP made some people (including myself) think that would under perform in Japan, but it did sell decently as least for the first week.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So wait, does Hollow Fragment contain both its own new story plus the entire story ftom Infinity Moment? Are they different modes or do they somehow coexist in the same plot? I'm terribly confused.

Its in the same plot. The Hollow Area is its own new section of the game, but the story runs separate from the main story so far for the most part it seems.

Though yes the general story minus some introductory bits with what happened at the start of the incident are the same in Hollow Fragment compared to Infinity Moment. There is a general overview that can be watched which explains all the events briefly up until where you are at in the game.

Honestly I am not sure which show I would consider having more questionable choices in the second half... both do some very stupid things from time to time... but in general I enjoyed both. If I had to pick one though, I would say Sword art had the bigger quality drop with some very creepy choices. (both are among my favorite animes of all time though :p)

The hollow missions are generally bunch of different things which exist at set locations within the Hollow Area. Some appear after advancing in the Hollow Area story, others are there from the get go. For a few examples of types of missions,

1: Kill target X.
2: Kill target X, but dont Kill target Y.
3: Make your way to point X without being spotted by enemy.
4: Kill Enemies attacking NPC

As you can see a lot of the missions have to do with killing things. Some dont work as well with how the game is designed / combat mechanics. Such as making it to a certain point without being seen and the kill this but dont kill that missions.

These hollow missions also repop in the world after a set amount of time. The purpose behind them is to unlock features within the hollow area which is in a menu that can be brought up at any time. 1 mission = 1 point towards unlocking X category in said menu. Also there are other features which will use the hollow points, but I have not unlocked that yet at this time. As mainly been leveling, exploring and loot finding rather than advancing the story.

Since Im not subbed to these other threads, if you have any questions about the game leave it in the OT.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805839

shawnlreed

Looking at Bandai/Namco's tumblr, this still sounds to me like it may be the actual PSP game, and not just the Infinity Moment part of Hollow Fragment.
I'm not sure why else they would refer to it as a "Digital Bundle"

From Bandai / Namco's US Tumblr:

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is due out in Summer 2014 as a digital exclusive on the PlayStation Vita in the Americas.

We’re also excited to share that an HD version of Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment (Originally released for the PSP in Japan) will be included as a digital bundle!

My God, there is no comparison here. At least the second arc for Death Note had some redeemable qualities; SAO's second arc is pure trash. All of it.

Hexa

Second arc of SAO is fine. Not as good as the first, but still better than most of the animes I've seen.
And of course every SAO thread devolved into this discussion. >_>

Top Bottom