• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive: No Co-Op for SP, but will feature 'unique' multiplayer...

Sorry, co-op fans. The campaign mode for Ratchet & Clank developer Insomniac Games' upcoming Xbox One exclusive, Sunset Overdrive, will be a single-player-only affair, the developer has confirmed.

"There is a single-player campaign for one-player only," reads a recent tweet from the official Sunset Overdrive Twitter account (spotted by TotalXbox). However, Sunset Overdrive will also have a multiplayer mode, which the developer teased will have some "unique things" to offer. No other details are available about the game's single- or multiplayer modes.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb...ayer-but-no-co-op-campaign-mode/1100-6419389/

Slightly disappointed there's no coo-op, but the unique multiplayer mode could more than make up for it...

There is co-op, it's just that you can't play the single player campaign in co-op.

Huh, so there's MP co-op? I guess I could live with that.

They really need to work on their messaging...

FOQK8fx.png

Amir0x

Banned
Isn't it like a persistent world where you play alongside other players anyway? Not really need co-op in this case then imo

Isn't it like a persistent world where you play alongside other players anyway? Not really need co-op in this case then imo

They want to take the persistent living world aspect a little further. This upcoming next generation gives an indication that people are more and more connected with each other, and want to have more communication with developers making the game. They looked at the new tech coming down the road and see that it gives them that chance to take those steps.

Maybe persistent in that your actions have a permanent affect on the world?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I know nothing about this game, or how it plays, so this information is pretty useless.

Don't care to hype tho title at all, until they actually show some gameplay footage. I need more games for my X1 though, so bring it on.

Rookwood

Banned
I'm a little bummed there's no SP co-op but we knew that some time ago. Still very excited for the game. I don't usually preorder a new IP based on trailers alone but the E3 trailer was just perfect to get your hype going:

Oppo

I feel like there gonna be some overlap between this and FortNite. Just a feeling.

Insomniac has had so e very cool multi ideas over the years so I'm hoping this really works for them.

Hopefulyl all will become clear next Thursday in Edge... need gameplay videos also!

Yep, screens and gameplay impressions are nice, but gameplay footage is king if we're to judge how good it is...

I feel like there gonna be some overlap between this and FortNite. Just a feeling.

Insomniac has had so e very cool multi ideas over the years so I'm hoping this really works for them.

There's no base building in this though...

-PXG-

I don't want to sound like a shit talker or a negative Nancy, but this game is totally fucked. It was announced last year and we literally know NOTHING about it. How could anyone be excited about a new IP when the only thing you've seen is a short CG concept trailer from a year ago? Hell, how are they going to educate the public and generate hype for a new IP this quickly before fall? No offense but it's not like Insomniac has that great of a track record. The Ratchet games are good, with the last few being alright, Resistance is mediocre at best and Fuse was a total dud.

Remember that this game will also be competing against Destiny, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, a new Battlefield game plus Assassin's Creed, Batman, Evolve and a possible remake of Halo fucking 2. Yeah, no pressure guys. It's gonna be dead on arrival and torn to shreds. Xbox gamers aren't going to care about some unknown new IP from a long time PlayStation dev that has a half way decent (at best) history.

Sorry, but that's just how I see it.

FluxWaveZ

Makes me way more interested in the game than before. Trailer made it seem it was going to be one of those games where co-op was the focus in the campaign.

I don't want to sound like a shit talker or a negative Nancy, but this game is totally fucked. It was announced last year and we literally know NOTHING about it. How are they going to educate the public and generate hype for a new IP this quickly before fall? No offense but it's not like Insomniac has that great of a track record. The Ratchet games are good, with the last few being alright, Resistance is mediocre at best and Fuse was a total dud.

Remember that this game will also be competing against Destiny, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, a new Battlefield game plus Assassin's Creed, Batman, Evolve and a possible remake of Halo fucking 2. Yeah, no pressure guys. It's gonna be dead on arrival and torn to shreds. Xbox gamers aren't going to care about some unknown new IP from a long time PlayStation dev that has a half way decent (at best) history.

Well, they have the EDGE blow out next week and I assume lots of sites will be covering the game as well. Add to that an E3 stage demo along with lots of footage, more previews, interviews, etc and that's plenty of time to ramp up the publicity for the game.

The launch window is a little worrisome, but if they launch in July/August, they should have a few weeks to themselves.

I doubt it as well, it would be one of the best looking and stylized games ever....That's why I said we will have to wait and see.....

Yeah, there's literally no way it's going to look as good as the CG. Was a silly thing for Spencer to say as it'll be used against the game regardless of how good it does eventually end up looking.

Raide

I don't want to sound like a shit talker or a negative Nancy, but this game is totally fucked. It was announced last year and we literally know NOTHING about it. How could anyone be excited about a new IP when the only thing you've seen is a short CG concept trailer from a year ago? Hell, how are they going to educate the public and generate hype for a new IP this quickly before fall? No offense but it's not like Insomniac has that great of a track record. The Ratchet games are good, with the last few being alright, Resistance is mediocre at best and Fuse was a total dud.

There will probably be a god amount of games that get announced at E3 and all the hype happens in a few months. It will be up to MS to market the game and get people hyped about it and you don't need a year or more to do that. Destiny has been drip fed because thats what Bungie do and they know it works.

AC and Batman will do well being more of the same and a standard IP. Evolve has way the same uphill struggle as Sunset Overdrive will have, if not more.

Xbox gamers will buy whatever great games come out, even more so if its an exclusive title.

-PXG-

Well, they have the EDGE blow out next week and I assume lots of sites will be covering the game as well. Add to that an E3 stage demo along with lots of footage, more previews, interviews, etc and that's plenty of time to ramp up the publicity for the game.

The launch window is a little worrisome, but if they launch in July/August, they should have a few weeks to themselves.

Yeah, there's literally no way it's going to look as good as the CG. Was a silly thing for Spencer to say as it'll be used against the game regardless of how good it does eventually end up looking.

Yeah, but everyone else will be showing their games before, during and after E3 too. Like Fortnite, they probably announced the game too soon and weren't ready to show it. But in the silence since it was announced, they've lost a lot of precious time to generate interest. Now they have to catch up while their competition has already has significant mind share and hype for their games.

I agree, we will have side by side comparisons 5 minutes after we see the first in game footage....

Raide

Yeah, but everyone else will be showing their games before, during and after E3 too. Like Fortnite, they probably announced the game too soon and weren't ready to show it. But in the silence since it was announced, they've lost a lot of precious time to generate interest. Now they have to catch up while their competition has already has significant mind share and hype for their games.

If Epic show off their plans for Unreal, Fortnite is DOA. Game looks like a cool use of their UE4 engine but its hardly making waves. It is s shame that many games get hyped up way too early and then they get dragged out. WatchDogs is in that territory for me right now.

Skidd

It was announced last year and we literally know NOTHING about it. How could anyone be excited about a new IP when the only thing you've seen is a short CG concept trailer from a year ago?
Wait a year until the game is presentable. Once you're 5 months away from release, start a steady stream of information on a monthly basis? At least that's how I'd do it, the less I have to wait, the better.

As long as Microsoft is willing to fund a proper marketing campaign, there should be no trouble.

That's probably why they've decided to get the info campaign rolling now instead of just waiting for E3. I think it'll manage to hold its own, if it's anything like the trailer in terms of art style, that should help it stick out quite a bit amongst the crowd. The free running and more frenetic nature of the game should also ensure that it's not lost in a wave of other games.

I do agree that they wasted a lot of precious time, not even QB went as dark as this game did. I can only assume that they wanted to make sure the game was in as good as state as possible before finally presenting it to the world. After all, you only get one chance to make an impact and we all know what happened with Watch Dogs...

I agree, we will have side by side comparisons 5 minutes after we see the first in game footage....

That'll be fun.

-PXG-

If Epic show off their plans for Unreal, Fortnite is DOA. Game looks like a cool use of their UE4 engine but its hardly making waves. It is s shame that many games get hyped up way too early and then they get dragged out. WatchDogs is in that territory for me right now.

It's funny and sad how nobody cares about Fortnite either. It's odd how a PC exclusive free to play game was on the cover of GI. Plus, I think people are burnt out on the cartoony shooters. TF2, Load Out, PvZ Garden Warfare, Super Monday Night Combat, Gotham City Impostors and tons of other indie games. That sub genre is already full. And now Epic is trying to make a come back to PC after they've abandoned it for nearly an entire cycle. Why should PC gamers care? Sure they got Gears 1 and Bulletstorm. UT3 was a disappointment. But outside of those games, Epic has done almost nothing to cater to PC.

And now they're trying to come back....with a watered down Minecraft/ TF2 clone that will undoubtedly be full of pay to win bullshit and in app purchases. A lot of folks are going to pass on that. It really sucks since Epic has a lot of really nice and talented staff. Even worse that Fortnite is the first game from them to show off the UE4. It's not that impressive really. Infiltrator or a new UT would have been much better

Raide

It's funny and sad how nobody cares about Fortnite either. It's odd how a PC exclusive free to play game was on the cover of GI. Plus, I think people are burnt out on the cartoony shooters. TF2, Load Out, PvZ Garden Warfare, Super Monday Night Combat, Gotham City Impostors and tons of other indie games. That sub genre is already full. And now Epic is trying to make a come back to PC after they've abandoned it for nearly an entire cycle. Why should PC gamers care? Sure they got Gears 1 and Bulletstorm. UT3 was a disappointment. But outside of those games, Epic has done almost nothing to cater to PC.

And now they're trying to come back....with a watered down Minecraft/ TF2 clone that will undoubtedly be full of pay to win bullshit and in app purchases. A lot of folks are going to pass on that. It really sucks since Epic has a lot of really nice and talented staff. Even worse that Fortnite is the first game from them to show off the UE4. It's not that impressive really. Infiltrator or a new UT would have been much better

Agreed. I think the game looks kinda cool with its building aspect but it seems to be more of a tech show-off for the UE4 engine tools and not the kind of spectacle people expect from Epic. The Samaritan and Infiltrator is exactly what I wanted from Epic. Fortnite? Not so much.

I think E3 is going to be a pretty hard place for some titles to stand out, even harder once the marketing kicks in for their respective launches.

Top Bottom