• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Levyne

Banned
YD8gUo2.jpg

Wolfenstein: The New Order is a single player first-person shooter developed by MachineGames based in Uppsala, Sweden; the studio was acquired by ZeniMax in
2010. Wolfenstein: The New Order will be their first developed title. It is the ninth installment in the Wolfenstein series but only the first entirely without the Id Software
label. It is developed largely by ex-members of Starbreeze, most known for The Chronicles of Riddick video games series and The Darkness.

Story

Europe, 1946. World War II rages across Europe. Where once the Allies pressed advantage, the Nazi forces have turned the tide in dramatic fashion behind the technologically
advanced war machine of General Wilhelm Strasse -- Deathshead. When a final Allied assault on Deathshead's compound fails, the Allies’ greatest hope falls with it.

Europe, 1960. The war is over. The Nazis had turned the tide using a new kind of mysterious, advanced technology. Using unrelenting force and intimidation, they have
brought even the most powerful of nations to their knees. The Nazis are triumphant victors. Their regime now rules the globe with an iron fist.

After emerging into this world of darkness, you must launch an impossible counter-offensive against the monstrous Nazi regime. Only you dare stand up against an
unstoppable army of Nazi robots and hulking Super Soldiers. Only you can stop Deathshead. Play as the one man who dares go up against the world’s most formidable
military. You are B.J. Blazkowicz, the American war hero. You are the only man capable of rewriting history.

ibn1Qy3rGpPCjk.jpg

ijBeHq91DcNk.png

• Genre - First-person Shooter
  • Developer - MachineGames
  • Publisher - Bethesda
  • Ratings - ESRB: M / PEGI: 18 / CB: R18+
  • Creative Director: Jen Matthies
  • Composer: Mick Gordon
  • Boxart/Platforms/Release Date :

iqSf1KGcUK27a.jpg

iUZC3DORWzbnX.png

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
Hard Drive: 50 GB available space

igntEHOAqTiYw.png
ibeRVghimIG8D1.png

Pre-order on Steam for Team Fortress 2 items:

• Die Regime-Panzerung
  • Der Maschinensoldaten-Helm
Pre-order on greenman gaming for a copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Panzerhund Edition (Bethesda Store)

• Only 5000 available!
  • Footlocker Box with stamped number plate
  • 8 inch panzerhund statue
  • Exclusive Steelbook case
  • 14 Postcards
  • 3 Embroadered patched
  • Box of replica dog tags.
  • No game
  • Really, no game copy.
  • 100 dollars

iBp6nDyqvStrr.jpg
irB4JSAhHhqQO.jpg

Occupied Edition (game.uk)

• 20 Page travel guide to occupied Britain
  • Travel Card Holder
  • Set of Post Cards
  • Copy of the game and DOOM beta access.
Wolfenstein: The New Order Special Edition (EB Games AU)
(Note that the image date is incorrect, should still be May 20th.)

• Wolfenstein-themed notebook
  • Themed Envelopes
  • 3 Postcards
  • Current Gen Only

ilgv9UzVopzg6.jpg

Please visit wolfenstein.com/doom

ibyzZzSafsMqXF.jpg

ibjcyA7086tJUB.png

B.J. Blazkowicz
sex: Male
country (native): USA
height: 191 cm
weight: 111 kg

Trained as a US Army Ranger and subsequently recruited into the OSA, "B.J". Blazkowicz has spent what seems like a lifetime fighting Nazis on the frontlines. Often
acting as a one-man army, Captain Blazkowicz has been introducing all types of Nazis to their maker. It's what he was born to do.

1946. With the tides of World War II turning drastically in favor of the Nazi war machine, the desperate allied forces set out to shift back the momentum with one last ditch
attempt: an assault on the Deathshead Compound. The operation goes wildly awry, and Captain Blazkowicz ends up in a comatose state on account of a traumatic injury. He
somehow survives but lives as an empty shell of his former self in a mental asylum for fourteen years. Until one fatefulday in the year 1960.

Anya Oliwa
sex: Female
country (native): Poland
height: 170 cm
weight: 58 kg

Born to Polish doctors and intellectuals, Anya was well on her way to a doctorate in archeology. The war, however, forced her to abandon her academic pursuits. Stepping up
to help with the family trade of running a mental asylum, she serves as head nurse and caretaker of the afflicted. Including an unidentified soldier who was picked up at sea,
badly injured, by a fishing boat.

Anya and her parents do what they can to treat their patients, while frequently getting visited by armed Nazi officers, who arrive without notice and leave with random patients
in shackles. One day in the year 1960, the Nazis make a final visit.

Frau Engel
sex: Female
country (native): Germany
height: 168 cm
weight: 63 kg

A leading figure behind the Bund Deutscher (League of German Girls), the girl’s wing of the Nazi party's youth movement, Frau Engel has dedicated her life to the Nazi
cause.

Having done her duty, raising six Aryan children to serve the Fatherland and exhibiting steadfast loyalty to the Nazi party, she quickly rose up their ranks. Near the end of the
war, Frau Engel assumed command of forced labor camp Belica - a dark place where she runs the day to day operations with an iron fist.

Fergus
country (native): Scotland
height: 173 cm
weight: 62 kg

Born and raised in the Scottish Highlands, Fergus Reid's childhood was defined by poverty and hardship. Early on, he developed a cynical outlook on life. Sarcasm became
a tool finely honed for dealing with the cruelty of fate. At age 16, Fergus found a job at the Glasgow shipyard where he would remain until the depression of the 30's hit
Scotland hard and he was made redundant. After years of scraping by, the war broke out and Fergus moved to Perth in central Scotland. There, he trained as an aviation
mechanic before an alcohol induced bet got him promoted to airman.

Probst Wyatt III
country (native): USA
height: 179 cm
weight: 81 kg

Wyatt was pursuing a degree in international affairs at Harvard College when he, to his father's dismay, decided to join the war effort. Prompted by his moral conviction and
unyielding idealism, Wyatt talked his way into the army air men at the tender age of 17. His father, however, remained deeply disappointed in him. Though his blue-eyed naivete
can be a burden, his positive outlook on life keeps him fighting to right the wrongs of the world.

Deathshead
country (native): Germany
height: 167 cm
weight: 48 kg

General Wilhelm "Deathshead" Strasse, a gifted and devoted researcher, is the head the SS Special Projects Division. Utterly devoid of any moral scruples, the General's
experiments in new technology gave the Nazi war machine the edge it needed to win the war and force the world into submission. During the war, Deathshead almost perished in
a zeppelin crash. This near death experience gave him a fresh outlook on life and he loves every minute of it.

iMwycS80nVmSO.jpg

ibqFgYxQgI3hRz.gif
ibtIxzCHYC7Fbv.gif
ierHFVTmwAkon.gif
i6aQZYDc95uYD.gif

Wolfenstein: The New Order reignites the series that is often credited as being the first first-person shooter. The game is set in an alternate reality where the year is 1960 and
the Nazi’s have won World War II. After being in a coma for over a decade, World War 2 hero William "B.J." Blazkowicz must launch an impossible counter-offensive against the
monstrous Nazi regime that has conquered the globe.

True to the Starbreeze heritage of developer MachineGames, Wolfenstein: The New Order offers a deep narrative packed with action, adventure and first-person combat,
sending players across Europe on a mission to bring down the Nazi war machine. With the help of a small group of resistance fighters, infiltrate their most heavily guarded
facilities, battle high-tech Nazi legions, and take control of super weapons that have conquered the earth and beyond.

Wolfenstein: The New Order follows a fairly standard first-person shooter formula with the player taking on enemies and completing objectives over a set of levels. The New Order
utilizes a health system that disregards the now-common notion of having an entirely regenerating health pool. Instead, the player's health is divided into separate sections
that individually regenearte; if an entire section is lost, the player must then use a health pack to replenish the missing health, in a similar fashion to games such as The
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. There is also no two weapon limit; the player also has access to an weapon they have found or unlocked. There is also a lot of
freedom in weapon usage, such as being able to dual wielding most weapons including knives and sniper rifles. The ability to lean around, over and under cover, and perform a
combat slide also broaden the fps gameplay, and some weapons also have special abilities with their own uses. One such use is a laser cannon that can transform into a
cutting tool for finding items hidden in otherwise inaccessible crates. Also, some turrets can be pulled from their stationary position and carried around. Semi-destructible
environments are also present.

The levels are full of open ended secrets that make revisiting them worthwhile. Inside these secret areas can be collectibles, a way to avoid enemies, or simply a way to a
better vantage point for the next encounter. While medieval corridors can play a role within the levels, they is usually some open ended-ness about how exactly you clear an
area.

Key Features

• Engaging Gameplay: Experience intense and gory first-person combat as you go up against oversized Nazi robots, hulking Super Soldiers, robotic german shepherds, and
    elite shock troops. Many giblets for all!
  • Set Pieces: Wolfenstein has neato cinematic set pieces feature intense mountain-top car chases, underwater exploration, controlling player-controlled Nazi war machines, and
    much more, combining to create a super cool action-adventure experience.
  • Collectibles: The main collectable of note are Enigma Codes. These are also folders or secret files found in each level. Gathering all of the Enigma codes unlocks a bonus
    gameplay mode. One such mode is
    999 mode, where you start with 999 health and do not have any health pickups
    . There are also Letters, Gold Items, Concept Art, and
    Character bios hidden in each level. Many bars to be filled.
  • Perks: Yep, perks in a single player game. Perks are divided into Stealth, Tactical, Assault, and Demolition. Performing certain actions along each perk tree, such as doing
    silent takedowns, will make you more skilled in that area. Most of the achievements are tied to perks. Hopefully provides some replayability.

iV090CZFnsqZW.jpg

ibinZh05nKv5he.jpg

ikWQMhgdaCwIV.jpg

Polygon: 9/10
AusGamers 8.7/10
Game Informer: 8/10
Gamespot: 8/10
CraveOnline: 8/10
Spawnfirst: 8/10
Financial Post Arcade: 8/10
Gamesrader: 4/5
UsGamer: 4/5
Time Tech Reviews: 4/5
IGN: 7.8/10
Gamesbeat: 78/100
Destructoid: 7.5/10
Gamezone: 7.5/10
Escapist 3.5/5
Eurogamer: 6/10
Joystiq: 3/5

ArsTechnica
VG24/7

Review Thread

Metacritic

ibqUSG0SKecON8.png

1.) Is this game censored with regards to Nazi imagery?

It is censored in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. In the censored version, the Nazis are instead called "The Regime" and most images relating to Swastikas, etc,
have been removed.​

2.) Does this game have multiplayer?

It does not.​

3.) What? Well how long is the game, then?

Supposedly 15-20 hours. There are also collectables that unlock a hidden mode.​

4.) Hidden mode? What do we know about it?

Only what was given to us by Pete Hines (Bethesda) :​

"Replayability obviously is an important thing. Extending what you're getting for your money is something we're very well aware of," Hines said. "There's a couple of
different things we're doing. One is a mode we're not actually talking about yet, although I am lobbying for us to talk about it soon, but there's a collectible aspect in the game, and
once you play any particular chapter, you can go back and replay it if you want to find the collectibles you missed. And if you find all the collectibles, you unlock this cool new
mode, and when I actually convince everybody to start talking about it, you'll be like, 'That is super cool, and I want to find all the collectibles just to try that mode.'"

Edit: Here they are:

Play Wolfenstein in 999 mode.
- 999% more action
- start with 999 health
- unlimited ammo
- ÜBER difficulty

WALK IN THE PARK
Play Wolfenstein in WALK IN THE PARK mode.
- all HUD elements except interactive prompts disabled
- rely fully on your senses to survive
- I AM DEATH INCARNATE! difficulty

Unlocks HARDCORE
Play Wolfenstein in HARDCORE mode.
- all health and armor pickups removed from the game
- ÜBER difficulty

IRONMAN
Play Wolfenstein in IRONMAN mode.
- only one life
- game over if you die
- ÜBER difficulty

5.) Where's the DOOM beta? I preordered!

Congrats! You now have access to the beta...in the future. Please see the official FAQ up top.
6.) Does this have regenerating health? What about ADS?

Yes it does have ADS. Wolfenstein: The New Order has a segmented numeric health and armor system like Return to Castle Wolfenstein and does not use complete
health regeneration like Wolfenstein 2009. Instead a few hitpoints regenerate over time. You will them have to collect medipacks to heal yourself completely. You can collect
armor for a protection bonus as well.​

7.) Is this game 1080p/60 fps on my console?

It is 1080p and 60fps on both Xbox One and Playstation 4. It is not upscaled from a lower resolution. Being that it is based on Id Tech 5, it also runs at 60fps
on last gen consoles. General PC performance is pending. See the PC Performance Thread.

8.) Can you dual wield anything?

Everything except any mounted turrets and the Laserkraftwerk weapon.​

9.) Are there branching story paths?

There is a choice early on that changes the vibe of the story, so two playthroughs will be needed to see the various changes made by this choice.​

Other Stuff:

Jen Matthies Reddit AMA
Official Website
Achievement List
PC Performance Thread
OST (ITunes)

My first OT so please go easy on me D:

Thanks very much to Messofanego for the gifs!

Get Psyched!
iW0GK4ifZb1af.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You've used "IF I PRE-ORDER THE GAME DIGITALLY FOR CONSOLE, WILL I STILL GET ACCESS TO THE DOOM BETA?" twice. Replace "CONSOLE" in the first instance with "STEAM".

JayEH

I can't find the thread where they said it but I'm pretty sure Machine Games is 60fps on all consoles.

Corpekata

Banned
Been playing a lot of RPGs lately so I think a rock em sock em shootemup will be just the right change of pace for me, so snagged it for cheap over at GMG with some of my playfire credit + 25 percent off.

Have they said if the pre-order bonus is good at all retailers? Want to get mine from Amazon.ca....but I've been burned by them on bonuses before :mad:

DukeBobby

Dual wielding, giblets, long campaign, ex-Starbreeze devs...

It's certainly ticking all the right boxes for me. Can't wait!

Webbie

Banned
I finally pre-ordered with Best Buy since the are finally honoring the 20 dollar cert for the PC version, i cannot wait!

jbug617

Banned
I'm thinking of picking this up instead of Watch Dogs because of the Best Buy deal. Since it's confirmed to be 1080p/60 FPS on both consoles, I'll get the Xbox One version because of the controller.

antitrop

Been waiting for this one for a while now. I'm thirsty for a great FPS, hope this delivers. I believe in the Starbreeze pedigree.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game is almost certainly going to be a ~40GB+ download on the PC side so I'm hoping Bethesda gives people the better (or whole) part of a week to grab it. R* dropped the ball pretty hard with Max Payne 3 (~25GB download), unlocking the pre-load just one day before release.

Currently booing your choice of OT subtitle.

Can't wait for the game doe. Hopefully it unlocks on Monday in Australia.

It releases worldwide on the 20th. 12am Tuesday is the best you can hope for.

The game is almost certainly going to be a ~40GB+ download on the PC side so I'm hoping Bethesda gives people the better (or whole) part of a week to grab it. R* dropped the ball pretty hard with Max Payne 3 (~25GB download), unlocking the pre-load just one day before release.

NBN + 500gb plan, bitches.

antitrop

my dilemma as well.
A part of me wants to go PS4 just to have something to play on the system, but I much prefer Mouse/Keyboard controls for FPS. I'm also skeptical of how iDTech5 will perform on the PC, how much they've improved it from RAGE. I wasn't happy with how that game ran, so hopefully we'll see a marked improvement here.

It's too bad the DOOM Beta is forcing a preorder, so I can't wait to see reviews or DF analysis. I'll probably end up going with the PC version.

Dubz

PS4 for me. I'm starting to fall in love with the DS4 triggers. I know I can rig the DS4 to my PC, but I'm lazy.

KePoW

Banned
I'm not familiar with the developer. Are they known for *polished* games? I don't really care about innovation in gaming, but I want solid polished games.

antitrop

PS4 for me. I'm starting to fall in love with the DS4 triggers. I know I can rig the DS4 to my PC, but I'm lazy.

If by rig, you mean plug it into the USB port and run a third-party driver executable. I understand though, it can be a hassle to get it working properly for some games, for others it works perfectly right off the bat. It's nice to the have the consistency of consoles, sometimes.

Metal Gear Rising played like a dream on PC with the DS4, but I had serious trouble with RE4, for example.

Duxxy3

Pre-ordered PS4 copy.

Can't wait. Looooooved RTCW, Enemy Territory and even enjoyed the most recent Wolfenstein. Also thought Riddick was great.

Shaping up perfectly for me.

Top Bottom