• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenneth Scott (Halo 4/ex-id art director) joins Oculus' internal development team

PGamer

fucking juniors
Not sure if it's worth a new thread but Kenneth Scott has joined Oculus as art director.

P4Ud0iN.png

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
And who did they hire?

Kenneth Scott! Former Id Software artist, Former 343 studios character art lead!

Welcome Kenneth Scott (@superactionfunb), Oculus Art Director, formerly of 343 and id Software. Ken is building our 1st-party content team!
1:10 PM - 13 May 2014

Baci

Banned
Wow, wouldn't it be interesting if with the help of Facebook, Oculus became it's own hardware platform.

EvB

Wow, wouldn't it be interesting if with the help of Facebook, Oculus became it's own hardware platform.

That was always the plan, they are just waiting for the mobile tech that can drive the screens. People got sidetracked and viewed it as a PC peripheral.

Raonak

Banned
That was always the plan, they are just waiting for the mobile tech that can drive the screens. People got sidetracked and viewed it as a PC peripheral.

wow. did think it was weird that they kept talking about mobile so much. but makes sense when you put it in this light.

Karak

Honestly the way it should be. The thing is basically a platform all by itself and those who are creating it will know it best. Also didn't a ton of Id folks go there. It will be interesting to see what this means.

Karak

They apparently hired the rest of ID software as well.

Cool that is what I was just asking. Pretty insane and it all begins to make sense. Too bad the internet isn't as good in the US as some other places. Hook your Oculas up to any standard PC that can stream and suddenly cloud power baby. Not ignoring the issues of course.

YuShtink

Cool that is what I was just asking. Pretty insane and it all begins to make sense. Too bad the internet isn't as good in the US as some other places. Hook your Oculas up to any standard PC that can stream and suddenly cloud power baby. Not ignoring the issues of course.

Yea unfortunately internet latency is still wayyyy to much for VR.

For the time being it will have to be hard wired to a relatively powerful PC.

But within a couple years they should be able to have a wireless solution, but still dongled or networked locally to powerful hardware, so that at least you won't have a physical cord constraining your movements.

Then within a few more years mobile hardware will be strong enough for effective VR rendering, finally allowing the rendering hardware to be contained in the device itself to go anywhere.

This has been the long term plan for Oculus, and Facebook's cold hard cash makes it possible, as soon as possible.

Elitro

I'm still coming to terms with this. id software's very best are making games at Facebook. I... yeah.

It may be that way, but the way we perceive facebook games is funny, considering that facebook didn't build it themselves (Farmville's and the likes).

As for me i think that none other than Oculus devs are the most indicated people to pave the way for what software for the rift should look like.

I believe they can build excellent proof of concept games, turning heads from every game making company around.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
His Halo 4 work was a very mixed bag. I could see his style working better in other franchises.

Somnid

I was hoping Oculus would just poach all of iD's employees. They're a talented bunch, but as with anyone you need good management to let you do your thing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What the hell is GOING ON at 343i, bleeding employees like this - Halo 5 must be in serious trouble!

Nah. I wish the guy luck.
Gives credence to the idea that Oculus is interested in software beyond the likes of Flappy Bird, at least.

Denton

Oculus building up internal team that will make PC focused VR games = wonderful, wonderful news. I am happy facebook provided the financial injection that allows for this.

YuShtink

This makes me wonder if we are going to see some crazy FPS from Oculus.

Probably right not away because Oculus has stressed that they are targeting a seated experience for the first consumer version. They will most likely stick to their guns to be an example for other VR devs and make something where the player avatar is seated instead of running around. At least early on.

His work on Halo 4 was incredible. The art was, for me, the best I've seen in the series. Amazing hire by Oculus. Good luck.

His Halo 4 work was a very mixed bag. I could see his style working better in other franchises.

It wasn't a mixed bag at all. I thought Halo 4 had the best overall art direction in the entire series. Many of the environments, I felt, were also a whole lot more believable. I could much more easily believe or imagine the purpose they served. And things were proportionally well done, something that I didn't feel was always that well done in the previous Halo titles on the 360. Yes, environments were large, but many times I didn't particularly like the scale or proportions with respect to the character, so in some respects the illusion was lost or tarnished. I know it's popular to not like Halo 4, but that game was fucking amazing. Nobody can tell me the Forward Unto Dawn level didn't look insane, as well as a number of other impressive locations in that game. The forest/jungle level was seriously kick ass. Artistically put Halo 3's jungle level to shame, imo.

With Adrian Wong we should see a new design of the head gear.

They may really need to do a redesign for the Oculus. Pretty much every Project Morpheus hands comparison agrees that PM is much more comfortable to wear then OR. Sony really knocked it out of the park design wise. Oculus needs to do the same.

Top Bottom