• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC open public comment period prior to voting to allow priority internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Washington Post

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted in favor of advancing a proposal that would dramatically reshape the way consumers experience the Internet, opening the possibility of Internet service providers charging Web sites for higher-quality delivery of their content to American consumers........
We'll they're one step closer. :(

Mod Abuse:
The next phase will be four months of public comments, after which the commissioners will vote again on redrafted rules that are meant to take into account public opinion. But the enactment of final rules faces significant challenges.

Fucking goddammit.

Not surprised but severely disappointed.

breadrip.gif

Blader

Even one of the Democratic commissioners who voted yes on Thursday expressed some misgivings about how the proposal had been handled.

"I would have done this differently. I would have taken the time to consider the future," said Democratic Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel, who said the proposal can't allow for clear fast lanes for the most privileged companies. She said she supported a proposal allowing the agency to consider questions on how it could prevent certain Web sites from being blocked, in addition to figuring out the overall oversight of broadband Internet providers.

"I believe the process that got us to rulemaking today was flawed," she said. "I would have preferred a delay."

So why the fuck did you vote for it?

ggnoobIGN

Banned
So why doesn't Google and Co black out their website ala sopagate to drum up awareness? Surely they won't benefit from this when they are in the early days of being a carrier

kehs

Banned
While it will probably still be pushed through as a final, keep in mind this is a vote on the proposal:

The proposal is not a final rule, but the three-to-two vote on Thursday is a significant step forward on a controversial idea that has invited fierce opposition from consumer advocates, Silicon Valley heavyweights, and Democratic lawmakers.

…
"Agencies almost always change their rules from the initial proposal -- that is why we have a whole notice and comment period, so that the agency can hear from the public and be educated into making the right decision (or at least the least bad decision)," said Harold Feld, a vice president at Public Knowledge, a media and technology policy public interest group. "Do not freak about the tentative conclusion and proposed rules."

The next phase will be four months of public comments, after which the commissioners will vote again on redrafted rules that are meant to take into account public opinion. But the enactment of final rules faces significant challenges.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So I'm pretty sure Democratic Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel is a woman. Also how did she get "paid" since she's not a member of congress.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I'm also confused by the article.

It says it faced fierce opposition from the Democrats but they were the ones who voted yes to this while the Republicans all voted no?

kehs

Banned

It says it faced fierce opposition from the Democrats but they were the ones who voted yes to this while the Republicans all voted no?

Republicans don't even want the FCC to even look at regulating anything.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/15/gop-lawmakers-tell-fcc-to-back-off-net-neutrality-rules/

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio; Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va.; Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., on Wednesday urged the FCC to reconsider the rules.

"At a time when technology businesses need certainty to innovate, this is not the time for the FCC to engage in a counterproductive effort to even further regulate the Internet," the lawmakers wrote to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler.

I find really funny that the people most vehemently against this are members of the Tea Party.

Nydius

What pisses me off most about this situation is the fact that consumers were going to lose regardless of how the FCC ruled.

In this ruling, consumers are going to end up paying more for content delivery services as they pass the cost of having to pay ISPs on to the end users (see: the Netflix and Comcast issue that ended up forcing Netflix to raise their price). Had the FCC ruled the other way, ISPs would have increased the cost of high speed internet and implement even more strict data caps with more expensive pay-per-overage systems.

I'm very disappointed - but not shocked - that we're seeing the slow dismantling of net neutrality. This will be a major blow to all those folks out there who want to see an all digital distribution future. ISPs might be targeting services like Netflix and Hulu today but, if successful, it's only a matter of time before large data distribution services (read: Steam, Origin, XBL/PSN) become their target.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What pisses me off most about this situation is the fact that consumers were going to lose regardless of how the FCC ruled.

In this ruling, consumers are going to end up paying more for content delivery services as they pass the cost of having to pay ISPs on to the end users (see: the Netflix and Comcast issue that ended up forcing Netflix to raise their price). Had the FCC ruled the other way, ISPs would have increased the cost of high speed internet and implement even more strict (and expensive) pay-per-overage systems.

I'm very disappointed - but not shocked - that we're seeing the slow dismantling of net neutrality. This will be a major blow to all those folks out there who want to see an all digital distribution future. ISPs might be targeting services like Netflix and Hulu today but, if successful, it's only a matter of time before large data distribution services (read: Steam, Origin, XBL/PSN) become their target.
"you must understand, broadband is a finite comodity"

gcubed

In this ruling, consumers are going to end up paying more for content delivery services as they pass the cost of having to pay ISPs on to the end users (see: the Netflix and Comcast issue that ended up forcing Netflix to raise their price). Had the FCC ruled the other way, ISPs would have increased the cost of high speed internet and implement even more strict data caps with more expensive pay-per-overage systems.

I do find it funny that the altruistic Netflix has brainwashed people into blaming Comcast for the price hike

Malreyn

There's nothing stopping Comcast from doing both now...even if the Commissioner said "we won't allow them to screw customers" I don't think they can do a thing about it

cdyhybrid

Sure, but even this seems particularly and stupidly transparent. Like, why call attention at all to the fact that you voted for something you don't agree with?

Politicians have a tendency to put their feet in their mouths sometimes.

They finally got something right.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I can see the next Netflix commercial with Eminem's song Without me playing the lyrics "So the FCC won't let me be".

Nydius

I do find it funny that the altruistic Netflix has brainwashed people into blaming Comcast for the price hike

I don't believe Netflix is altruistic at all, nor am I brainwashed. I'm well aware that there were more factors than just Comcast with regard to the price hike but the fact remains that, historically, companies pass off these extra costs onto the consumers. In the Netflix/Comcast issue, it's a matter of a few pennies in the overall $1 hike. How much will it be if they have to start paying each and every ISP to ensure proper "fast lines" for 1080p (and above) streaming?

gcubed

I don't believe Netflix is altruistic at all, nor am I brainwashed. I'm well aware that there were more factors than just Comcast with regard to the price hike but the fact remains that, historically, companies pass off these extra costs onto the consumers. In the Netflix/Comcast issue, it's a matter of a few pennies in the overall $1 hike. How much will it be if they have to start paying each and every ISP to ensure proper "fast lines" for 1080p (and above) streaming?

You mean negative pennies because the deal with Comcast was cheaper then they were paying their existing transit providers to carry Comcast traffic?

But that's not the point of this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom