• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break "just hit full production"

iMax

Quite worrying considering most expected this to be a 2015 title, let alone 2014.

Lionhead's online co-op spin-off Fable Legends will have a "huge presence at E3". So sayeth John Needham, studio head and boss of Microsoft's European publishing team, who also reckons it's "one of the most beautiful games on the platform right now." Watch out, Crytek.

The recently released Fable: Anniversary was an opportunity to prepare the ground for Legends, Needham told assembled hacks at a Microsoft Studios event in London today. "It was a good chance for our studio to reengage with its oldest, most faithful fans - we have a website up, forums, and there's been a ton of discussion about Anniversary and what we're doing with Legends," he said.

"Anniversary was also just a great level-setter for Legends, the next big Fable game that we're building at Lionhead. Because it's got to be a Fable game. The first three Fable games - we've got to bring a lot of that charm into Fable Legends. So going through that process was really good for the team, I think, to revisit the original title."

New to Legends? It pits four player- or AI-controlled heroes against one, player or AI-controlled villain - the latter must arrange traps, enemies and the like to obliterate the former as they explore a primordial Albion. "It's a really exciting title, really fun already," Needham reflected. "It's gorgeous - we're building it with Unreal Engine 4, and that combined with the Xbox One, I think we're building one of the most beautiful games on the platform right now."

Lionhead is known to have at least one game in production that isn't Fable - Microsoft's recent trademark filing for "Eden Falls" suggests that one of the studio's older, cancelled projects has been revived. It seems possible that there's yet another Fable game on the boil, too - an Xbox One version of Fable Anniversary, or the mythical Fable 4.

"This September we're going to celebrate our ten year anniversary, with the franchise, so we'll have some more announcements around that," Needham added, mysteriously.

In parting, he touched on the topic of Quantum Break, Remedy's time-bending third-person shooter. "It's a big first party title, we're not talking about it much, but it's a big exciting title - just hit full production." Among other things, the game will offer "the highest fidelity of facial motion capture that's available on the market, and is "the ultimate Remedy game". All aboard the hype-train, etc.

Here are nine things you should know about Fable Legends.

quantum-break-gameplay-footage.jpg

Source

Throw into a time crack if old.

Jito

Banned
They've been secretly making Alan Wake 2 right? What else were they doing instead of full production on this?

Sydle

Isn't there a video interview from E3 2013 where a guy from Remedy says it was in full production?

EDIT: Cassidy posted above.

At this point, I am not sure if The Order: 1886 can make it this Fall. I mean the last gameplay showcase looked rough as hell.

As for Quantum Break, I fully expected it so not surprised.

OldRoutes

So has everything so far been a target render?

Not, it exactly means that until [non-disclosed time frame], the game was not in full production.

Now it is.

I'm confused, so was that "gameplay" they showed not actual gameplay then?

Completely irrelevant to whether or not the game was in full production. Also, might be interesting to define "full production" : fully staffed? Are they out of Alpha?

iMax

Anyone else thinking even 2015 is too early? I can't imagine a year of production is nearly enough.

Begaria

"It's a big first party title"

Is it actually first party? I recall Microsoft owning the IP, but Remedy is developing it, and Remedy is not owned by Microsoft. Wouldn't that technically make it a second party title?

First party = owns IP, owns developer
Second party = owns IP, doesn't own developer
Third party = doesn't own IP or the developer

Sorry. It just bugs me when I see that used incorrectly.

I thought they were supposed to be doing a some sort of live action series that ties into the game? If so, I'm not surprised that this game would slip into fall of next year. It sounds like Microsoft is going all in on this title.

EDIT: Also, I would expect that "AAA" games take years to develop now, especially titles with new engines. Games like The Division and Quantum Break have such high goals that they need to make sure they don't rush it.

I'm confused, so was that "gameplay" they showed not actual gameplay then?

Vertical slice.

It's like the Division or Watch_Dogs unveiling. They polish a very specific section of the game, ( it may even be the only thing they've actually got of it ), and give the illusion that the game seems almost complete given how awesome the first reveal is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone else thinking even 2015 is too early? I can't imagine a year of production is nearly enough.

A year and a half, for fall 2015? Still seems short. Just the other day some dev said they had 1 year pre-production and 2.5 years production for a recent new gen title which he indicated was shorter than the normal cycle.

Is this his first busted rumour then?

Third. ( or fourth )

Titanfall bundle. ( He showed the custom console ver. and said it was in a factory, but it ended up being the non-custom version instead )

And then the dates for tier-2 countries release.

EGOMON

Well MS needed everything they had last E3 to counter the negativity surrounding the console thats why they announce games so far away like Halo 5 and QB

Top Bottom