• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Riley is making Godfather offers all over the place.

Not really only Norris Cole is under contract to the Heat for next season. Everyone else is either a free agent or or has an opt out clause in their contract so the heat are gonna look different next season regardless of what happens with Lebron, D-wade and Bosh.

Splatt

I fucking lost it at Mutumbo
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Cloudy

Banned
I have a theory that P-Jax wouldn't mind if Melo left NY. I also think the Lakers are the best destination. Before you LOL, hear me out:

- You don't publicly box-in a star who can opt out by making comments to the media about how he shouldn't opt out.

- You also don't hire an inexperienced coach and give him 5 years when you have a star who wants to win now.

I feel Phil wants to start over, hopefully with a S&T using Melo. However, Melo must have learned his lesson and won't let his new team get gutted. I would rule out any team that can't sign him outright. I also don't see him taking less money to be Bron's ballboy after seeing what that's done for Wade's and Bosh's status as individual players.

Lakers would be a great destination since Melo and Kobe are close. However, does Melo want to go back to the tougher West? And from the NY media to the LA media? (who are just as hard on stars but not impressed by just making the playoffs)

If Melo has assurances of Kobe's health, I feel that's the best destination for him. Lakers are coming off 2 horrible seasons and he will get a ton of the credit for turning things around.

This is playing out just like I thought it would. Does Melo have the stones to make this move though? Phil is basically pushing him out the door...

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Phil has to do that at this point. If he really wanted him, he'd have offered the max from the get-go and not made ridiculous comments to the media.

yeah but he really didn't want him he would of offered the Max and just low balled him.

yeah but he really didn't want him he would of offered the Max and just low balled him.

there is no low balling. There isn't really any negotiating for contracts in the NBA, at least not with big superstars like Bron or Melo. If you have the cap space or their bird rights, you aren't going to offer them $4 or 5 million a year less than their max. Contracts are pretty much standard slots at this point. Not offering him a contract or low balling him would have just made Phil look bad this early in his career with the Knicks. Phil is smart enough to know that he can publicly offer Melo a max deal while behind the scenes working the gears to get Melo to not come back if he didn't really want him.

Cloudy

Banned
Phil is smart enough to know that he can publicly offer Melo a max deal while behind the scenes working the gears to get Melo to not come back if he didn't really want him.

Yup. Also, Phil might not want Melo but losing him for nothing would be a very bad look

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
there is no low balling. There isn't really any negotiating for contracts in the NBA, at least not with big superstars like Bron or Melo. If you have the cap space or their bird rights, you aren't going to offer them $4 or 5 million a year less than their max. Contracts are pretty much standard slots at this point. Not offering him a contract or low balling him would have just made Phil look bad this early in his career with the Knicks. Phil is smart enough to know that he can publicly offer Melo a max deal while behind the scenes working the gears to get Melo to not come back if he didn't really want him.

Yup. Also, Phil might not want Melo but losing him for nothing would be a very bad look

I just don't see it, but hey in about 48 hours we will know what has really been going on one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom