• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs sold (to consumers) over 4 millions units during its first week

Boke1879

I could see potentially games releasing this time of the year now (in terms of big AAA releases) considering how successfull this game did at this time of the year. I bet other Publishers are taking note.

More Pubs NEED to take note. Even after WD this summer is still pretty dry. What do we have? Destiny Beta? UFC? TLOU:R

More AAA games need to be released in the Summer months. Not many, but 2-3 good AAA games. Probably a new IP would do well this time of year.

jtenma

Banned
We always get new IP's at the beginning of a generation. The new IP's end up as the franchises for the new generation. By 2016 we'll probably be back to stagnation.

You're probably right. I just cant remember.

Remind me which new ips we got last gen?

EDIT: FORGET IT. I remember. ASSASSIN'S CREED.

Eterniti

Despite the reviews, I feel that Watch Dogs is the makings of a great franchise. I remember being very pessimistic about Assassin's Creed after the tepid reaction from most of the gaming media, but they really came into their own with part 2. I'm guessing Watch Dogs will do the same thing.

Hopefully Ubisoft is looking closely at the next gen/last gen console splits. In the UK, 76% of all sales were on next gen. Watch Dogs 2 really needs to be next gen only.

Given that the next AC isn't even really cross-gen, I'd assume that WD2 will be next-gen only.

Unless current-gen console sales crash hard (and by that I mean sales are bad through this holiday, before anyone links the last NPD and goes "LOL THEY ALREADY HAVE") I'd imagine the only cross-gen games we'll see past early 2015 are the annual sports titles and CoD.

AHA-Lambda

More Pubs NEED to take note. Even after WD this summer is still pretty dry. What do we have? Destiny Beta? UFC? TLOU:R

More AAA games need to be released in the Summer months. Not many, but 2-3 good AAA games. Probably a new IP would do well this time of year.

This, look at TLOU last year, if anything I hope publishers will take bloody notice of Q2 and Q3 now cos stuff like this.

kazebyaka

Banned
Someone PLEASE tell me there's a gif with the trippy flower game.

Im3BZhJ.gif

kiguel182

It's a great game, they deserve it.

I just hope they don't turn this into a yearly franchise. Maybe one very two years or three. It would prevent some stagnation like it happened to Assassins Creed.

Of course this is the AAA gaming business so expect yearly updates with minimal upgrades.

1. New IP? CHECK
2. Next-Gen Quality? CHECK
3. Solid main storyline? CHECK
4. Fun multiplayer? CHECK

It's worth it. Gratz to Ubisoft. They're actually making fun and interesting games.

I wish more developers would do this.

And bigger KUDOS to Ubisoft for delaying the game to make sure it was more polished.

EA-DICE should learn a thing or two about WAITING to make sure games actually work before launching them.

Anth0ny

This so much.

How much more is is going to take to convince publishers to release games outside of March, October and November? It's clear that releasing a big game on its own during a random month of the year could give it attention and sales it would never get during the crazy holiday rush.

sjay1994

It's a great game, they deserve it.

I just hope they don't turn this into a yearly franchise. Maybe one very two years or three. It would prevent some stagnation like it happened to Assassins Creed.

Of course this is the AAA gaming business so expect yearly updates with minimal upgrades.

Well AC avoided stagnation with black flag and the naval... but unity is something I am torn on.

Its returning to its AC1-2 roots, but what will it do to freshen itself up?

Its the most intriguing game for me this e3 because I want to see what they are doing with it.

Skeff

Their target was 6.3 million lifetime.

Considering the games budget was around 68,000,000 I think they have already turned a profit.

Well, if it's really a 68 mill budget, then that would require $17 per sale from the opening 4 million to break even, and Ubisoft as Dev+pub are likely getting $20 or so per unit at launch, so probably already profitable.

I'm surprised. Well I guess not that surprised lol. How many watch dogs threads have we had bumped to the top in the past couple of weeks. Right around launch day there were no less than four different threads on the first page.

We always get new IP's at the beginning of a generation. The new IP's end up as the franchises for the new generation. By 2016 we'll probably be back to stagnation.

Yeah, it's all part of the usual cycle. IPs that were big and got several sequels last gen will slow down/stop as the new blood takes its place and is in turn milked until we're all sick of it.

It seems like Summer months are more dedicated to announcing, demoing, marketing games than actually SELLING them.

Nice to have a solid title to play in the meantime.

Ubisoft might make a real killing this summer if nobody else steps up to sell a game.

giphy.gif

Watch Dogs is sitting out there all on it's own right now. And it's on ALL platforms. (coming to WiiU too)

sjay1994

Good job, people.

So how does it feel?

A fine 5 course meal?

Or Mickey fucking D's?

Hm, a slightly undercooked prime rib.

Great gameplay, some of the best collectables in an open world game, interesting side characters, excellent mp, rad soundtrack.

But

Visually inconsistent, licensed music is lacking (which is a shame, considering none of the licensed songs used in the trailers are in the game), a bland main character and story.

Definite room for improvement, but definitely a solid game.

Pooya

This is what Yves Guillemot is doing right now.

HkVAN.gif

with sparse competition this year in Fall they have a lot more money waiting to be counted...

ubisoft had like 2 big sellers at most before in a year and that was 2012, now it can be 3 this year.

Isurus

Great news, as I'm really enjoying the game and hoping for a sequel. This should also hopefully encourage more new IPs and more launches in the summer months. Both this game and Wolfenstein have been pleasant surprises.

panda-zebra

Am I the only one thinking we won't see Watchdogs 2 until 2016?

Not at all. There's plenty to come yet for this current game, the nonsense talked about another coming along in 6 or 12 months is just silly.

The game already (in UK) sold the bulk on the new gen, there's plenty more new console owners come Nov/Dec and there's a good chance plenty of those are going to want in on it.

W_D 2 in new city with new protagonist is doable for 2016.

Cool, I like the bit of the game I've been able to play. Looking forward to getting more time in this weekend after spending last weekend moving (ugh).

Basketball

good game pretty much all I played last week

I really hope Ubisoft works on world building and AI.

Improve the driving , more vehicles types ,cheats etc

Hopefully a custom character in the next game

the more sandbox games the better I say

Top Bottom