• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brain Training (DS) Now Available on Wii U eShop In Japan For Free

Via Mr. Daan Koopaman on Twitter. This was not an announced release.

Direct-Feed Video: http://youtu.be/pMziNTrddzA
Miiverse: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073298972517/14866558073298972525

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/softw...ndex.html#andj

-Available if you've updated your system to 5.0
-Free download ends June 30th
-Will update with VC functions (save etc) at a later date.

BREAKING: Brain Training is now up on the Japanese Wii U eShop for FREE in Japan.
https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/473993135056363520

BpP22PrCAAEKGB6.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/473993799652237312

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/473994065470435328

What I know for sure: There are no other options than the software itself. #DSVirtualConsole

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/473997083393794049

Give me brain damage if old.

EDIT: Whoops, should be Brain Age, I think, not Brain Training. Asking a mod to fix.

Richie

I'd say this was a missed chance for an "available...NOW!" surprise at E3, but Brain Training is not precisely Megaton material :p

Phazon

Wooow, Nintendo is on a roll these weeks.

I didn't expect this to come out so soon. Great news. Let's hope they'll keep the pace of nice GBA and DS titles up this summer and the months after that.

hachi

Banned
Hm. I was under the impression that a DS Virtual Console would keep the touch screen on the pad.

For most games, that's what I'd expect, but this is a "book style" game that really requires you to be watching both halves side-by-side.

But it does leave me very curious as to how normal titles will look, and how they will scale.

Son Of D

I'd say this was a missed chance for an "available...NOW!" surprise at E3, but Brain Training is not precisely Megaton material :p

That's probably how the western release will go. "Brain Training and other various DS titles will be available to download after this presentation".

Hm. I was under the impression that a DS Virtual Console would keep the touch screen on the pad.

It is, Brain Training was a game you held the DS side ways so they split the wiiu tablet in half as you see in the image, I imagine for most DS games that you held the system normally the wiiu game pad will show the touch screen and the tv will show the top screen.

Phazon

is nintendo going to try everything they can to save the wiiU? All signs point to "yes"

It's not a wasted effort, since we know the basic software development enviroment of the wii u will continue to the next systems/architectures. It makes more sense to develop GBA/DS emulation and a lot of tools for Wii U, so they can quickly and simply port it over to the next generation without a lot of effort (like it was with gc, wii, 3ds etc now)

jakomocha

Think this will come to the US anytime soon? Not sure why they'd release this so quietly. My guess would be that they are waiting for E3 to announce a worldwide release of it, among numerous other DS Virtual Console games.

Think this will come to the US anytime soon? Not sure why they'd release this so quietly. My guess would be that they are waiting for E3 to announce a worldwide release of it, among numerous other DS Virtual Console games.

Test run of some kind, with intentions of the full vc launch later this year?

hwy_61

Banned
So, that's how DS games will work on Wii U. So for games that work normally, that is, games that don't require you to hold the DS sideways, will you have to hold the gamepad sideways?

Derphoof

Looks pretty neat. People liked the original Brain Training games! Hopefully we see some VC announcements at E3. Been a while since they announced DS VC for Wii U. Let's see what all is coming to NA/Europe and if they'll finally bring N64/GC support to the VC.

Son Of D

So, that's how DS games will work on Wii U. So for games that work normally, that is, games that don't require you to hold the D's sideways, will you have to hold the gamepad sideways?

BassForever mentioned this.

It is, Brain Training was a game you held the DS side ways so they split the wiiu tablet in half as you see in the image, I imagine for most DS games that you held the system normally the wiiu game pad will show the touch screen and the tv will show the top screen.

WillyFive

So, that's how DS games will work on Wii U. So for games that work normally, that is, games that don't require you to hold the DS sideways, will you have to hold the gamepad sideways?

...or the logical choice, that it work exactly like a DS and use each Wii U screen for each respective DS screen.

Just because Nintendo is smart enough to use the 16:9 screens of the Wii U to display Brain Age in it's original aspect ratio doesn't mean they are going to force every other game into a literally unplayable state.

Can you Play the games on TV or only gamepad?

The image in the OP shows it's clearly mirrored, you can either look at the game pad or the tv screen... of course considering the game is 100% touch based I dunno why you wouldn't want to look at the game pad...

AdanVC

Woaaah, nice! Nintendo bringing the mini bombs before the megatons at E3. Hope they talk about this at E3!

Maybe its from the years of VC neglect but I'm legit shocked how quick they turned around DS emulation.

N64 though ;_;

Maybe its from the years of VC neglect but I'm legit shocked how quick they turned around DS emulation.

N64 though ;_;

I really don't know why we haven't got N64 emulation yet on the WiiU, considering the Wii had it day one and we've already got confirmation of GC VC coming it just seems odd that we've not seen or heard a peep about it yet.

hwy_61

Banned
...or the logical choice, that it work exactly like a DS and use each Wii U screen for each respective DS screen.

Just because Nintendo is smart enough to use the 16:9 screens of the Wii U to display Brain Age in it's original aspect ratio doesn't mean they are going to force every other game into a literally unplayable state.

Yeah, but would that work? The screens on the DS were perfect because they were right next to each other. On Wii U that would not be the case. Unless you hold the gamepad up so its right underneath your TV or something.

blamite

Woah, nine. Looks like it'll work well on the gamepad.

Are there many other book-style DS games? Other than the Brain Age series I can't think of any off the top of my head.

This is what you guys get for taunting Iwata. He is knocking shit out of the god damn park lately! If this continues; E3's coming home to the Big N, baby!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Woah, nine. Looks like it'll work well on the gamepad.

Are there many other book-style DS games? Other than the Brain Age series I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Flash Focus and Rhythm Heaven come to mind.

Top Bottom