• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

I tried with OC on 3DMark 11, and would crash the driver everytime. I decided fuck it, and just took my own OC's completely off and it managed to actually go through the whole 3DMark 11 (Performance) benchmark without crashing. The score was 14,269. (i7-3770k stock CPU as well)

Should I just RMA and hope I get sent something better, or just stick with it at stock SC and accept that I have a good card, just not as good as it could be?

Technically nothing is wrong with the card. It works at its intended out of the box overclock. EVGA has the best customer service imo, but kind of like Amazon we shouldn't take advantage of them because of it.

Your call though.

xBladeM6x

RMA'ing because it doesn't overclock as much as you want is a big time dick move, especially since you'd need to lie in order to accomplish it.

Also, did you try the rule of 13?

Rule of 13? By lie, you mean I'd have to say that it's a DOA card, or unstable at stock or something for them to do something about it? :eek:

mkenyon

Banned
Rule of 13? By lie, you mean I'd have to say that it's a DOA card, or unstable at stock or something for them to do something about it? :eek:
Kepler OC's based on increments of 13. Check out my link on the prior page.

And yeah, you would have to lie about why you are sending it in. You can't RMA based on the fact that you can't OC it.

xBladeM6x

Technically nothing is wrong with the card. It works at its intended out of the box overclock. EVGA has the best customer service imo, but kind of like Amazon we shouldn't take advantage of them because of it.

Your call though.

Kepler OC's based on increments of 13. Check out my link on the prior page.

And yeah, you would have to lie about why you are sending it in. You can't RMA based on the fact that you can't OC it.

I think I have an idea of how to stay in the "morally correct" zone, with no need to lie, and to keep the card for now. I still can do the EVGA step up program until like mid December. If by then, they release the 980 ACX 2.0, I'll just trade up to it.

Let us know how it goes. At the very least they should express ship you new replacement parts for free, while you return the old ones.

Ok, I did not get a response to my initial email through their contact us web form, however, 2 hours after I sent the more detailed email, with the photos to the support account referenced on their twitter (wecare.twitter@newegg.com), I received a phone call from Newegg customer service.

They are overnighting me a replace CPU and motherboard today and they sent me a UPS label to ship back the banged up items. Since it's late in the day, I expect the package Monday, but I'm waiting for my damn CPU cooler until Monday anyway.

So Newegg did respond quickly and did the right thing but I would suggest contacting through the twitter email address and not through their Contact Us section of their website.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ok, I did not get a response to my initial email through their contact us web form, however, 2 hours after I sent the more detailed email, with the photos to the support account referenced on their twitter (wecare.twitter@newegg.com), I received a phone call from Newegg customer service.

They are overnighting me a replace CPU and motherboard today and they sent me a UPS label to ship back the banged up items. Since it's late in the day, I expect the package Monday, but I'm waiting for my damn CPU cooler until Monday anyway.

So Newegg did respond quickly and did the right thing but I would suggest contacting through the twitter email address and not through their Contact Us section of their website.

Awesome - glad to hear they came through!

xBladeM6x

Beware of the 840 evos at the moment, there is a firmware bug that degrades read speeds over time. They're working on a fix though.

In other words, just get the 840 Pro or 850 Pro. :p

Edit: As it stands, I basically can't OC my card past it's factory clocks. I'll be doing some more testing to see if even default is unstable.

thuway

Does anyone feel like it's going to be expensive giong forward?

1. I predict 4K gaming will increase VRAM requirements above 4 GB. Developer's do not give two fucks about our build. See Watch Dogs as proof of outstanding negligence.

2. Pascal, 3D memory, and NvLink will all require new motherboards.

3. 4K gaming will require some of us to change out our system completely. GPU's need to support HDMI 2.0, receivers need to support HDMI 2.0, and the monitors need to support HDMI 2.0.

Fuck :/, I just jumped on this train. I'm here with you though, 280X don't fail me my boy.

Smokey

1. I predict 4K gaming will increase VRAM requirements above 4 GB. Developer's do not give two fucks about our build. See Watch Dogs as proof of outstanding negligence.

3. 4K gaming will require some of us to change out our system completely. GPU's need to support HDMI 2.0, receivers need to support HDMI 2.0, and the monitors need to support HDMI 2.0.

Fuck :/, I just jumped on this train. I'm here with you though, 280X don't fail me my boy.

4k will not be mainstream for years.

thuway

4k will not be mainstream for years.

Vizio just announced a 50 inch 1 thousand dollar 4k television, and a 70 inch 2.5 thousand dollar 4k television with every bell and whistle imaginable. It went toe to toe with Samsung's flagship.

Yeah, it's gonna be mainstream by next year.

The Llama

tbh you could have said this at any period of time. There's ALWAYS going to be better stuff coming in the future that will require new/different hardware.

thuway

tbh you could have said this at any period of time. There's ALWAYS going to be better stuff coming in the future that will require new/different hardware.

Not when I have to change my receiver, television, and monitor. Whatever happens, I'll have a sweet secondary gaming rig :)

garath

Vizio just announced a 50 inch 1 thousand dollar 4k television, and a 70 inch 2.5 thousand dollar 4k television with every bell and whistle imaginable. It went toe to toe with Samsung's flagship.

What content are these TVs going to use?

Still, TVs don't drive computer resolutions until they are well and established. It'll be years and years until we see affordable mainstream 4k. At best it'll be an enthusiast thing. The common denominator will continue to be 1080 at least for a few more years.

IMACOMPUTA

So, I overclocked the g3258.

All I did was change the multiplier to 43 and voila, 4.3ghz.
Seems stable. Played some games, ran OCCT for an hour.

The highest the temps got during OCCT was 54c.

I smell potential!

Salty Hippo

Hey guys, I need some cooling advice.

I recently bought a GTX 970 that will go right there in the upper PCI slot:

5pQkPBJ.jpg

I know my cable management is a mess right now but I'll fix it when I plug in the GPU. As you can see I have a 120mm fan on the back of the case which blows air out. I have two 120mm slots on the side of the case and another two on the front. If I could I would put fans in all of these slots, but I only have one extra fan connector on my motherboard, so I can only plug one more, and I need to choose the most effective position.

This is the side of the case:

Some options I considered:

1. Putting it on the top slot of the side of the case, blowing air into the GPU.

2. Putting it on the top/bottom slot of the front of the case, blowing air into the system and making it pass through the entire case and out the back.

3. Putting it on the bottom slot of the side of the case, blowing air outside to suck up even more hot air away from the case, since the GPU coolers will be blowing down (I guess).

Goes without saying that I'm a total PC noob. This is my first time building a PC and I never dealt with fans before in my life, so please help me.

garath

Hey guys, I need some cooling advice.

I recently bought a GTX 970 that will go right there in the upper PCI slot:

I know my cable management is a mess right now but I'll fix it when I plug in the GPU. As you can see I have a 120mm fan on the back of the case which blows air out. I have two 120mm slots on the side of the case and another two on the front. If I could I would put fans in all of these slots, but I only have one extra fan connector on my motherboard, so I can only plug one more, and I need to choose the most effective position.

This is the side of the case:

Some options I considered:

1. Putting it on the top slot of the side of the case, blowing air into the GPU.

2. Putting it on the top/bottom slot of the front of the case, blowing air into the system and making it pass through the entire case and out the back.

3. Putting it on the bottom slot of the side of the case, blowing air outside to suck up even more hot air away from the case, since the GPU coolers will be blowing down (I guess).

Goes without saying that I'm a total PC noob. This is my first time building a PC and I never dealt with fans before in my life, so please help me.

You don't need to plug a fan into the mobo. So you can certainly have more than the one additional. A lot of fans need power directly from the PSU anyways. I would at least put one in the front. Get the airflow from the front to the back.

- J - D -

Does anyone here have any experience with Aerocool's Dead Silence fans? Their aesthetics are really nice and I've been wanting to pick up some new case fans that are quiet and powerful but are cheaper than the closest performance rivals. It's either these or Scythe's Gentle Typhoons or Noctua's series of fans.

On paper the specs seem pretty good and reviews look good as well:

Bearing System : FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing)
Rated Voltage : 12V
Starting Voltage : >= 3.0V
Rated Current : 0.2A
Power Consumption : 2.4W
Power Connector : 3-Pin with signal cable
MTBF : 100,000 hours
Performance : 12V, 7V
Speed : 1000 RPM±10%, 700 RPM±10%
Air Flow : 64.8 CFM (109.8 m³/h), 39.8 CFM (67.5m³/h)
Air Pressure : 1.21 mm H2O, 0.74 mm H2O
Noise : 14.2 dBA, 10.8 dBA

dead-silence-645x362.png

IMACOMPUTA

One thing I'm noticing is that when I'm downloading something on Steam my PC runs like SHIT.
Stutters, slow, especially if I'm playing a game.

What can I do to prevent this?

g3258 @ 4.3ghz
4gb ram
500gb 7200rpm seagate hdd

Is this a processor, ram, or a hdd thing?

appaws

Banned

They update the chipsets all the time, requiring us to buy new motherboards so it does not matter that much. I have never bought a new CPU and put it into my existing mobo.

I usually don't complain about the costs of awesome new tech, because we live for this shit and are willing to pay the price.

One thing worth looking at is the stats on what the vast majority of PC gamers are gaming on....not the GAF elite, but the average Steam user. Developers are going to have to keep that mind going forward. I would venture to guess that 1920x1080 will remain the default resolution for at least a few more years....especially since the consoles of this generation are not realistically able to push past that.

So, I overclocked the g3258.

All I did was change the multiplier to 43 and voila, 4.3ghz.
Seems stable. Played some games, ran OCCT for an hour.

The highest the temps got during OCCT was 54c.

I smell potential!

Nice! What cooling...?

Salty Hippo

You don't need to plug a fan into the mobo. So you can certainly have more than the one additional. A lot of fans need power directly from the PSU anyways. I would at least put one in the front. Get the airflow from the front to the back.

Thanks. I wonder if my PSU has more than one connector for fans. You don't recommend putting a fan on the side?

Smokey

nope

garath

Thanks. I wonder if my PSU has more than one connector for fans. You don't recommend putting a fan on the side?

I prefer negative pressure in my case. That means more exhaust than intake. If you have 1 120mm exhaust in the back and 1 120mm intake in the front and they are the same then you will have some good airflow without creating positive pressure. You can add an intake on the side to blow right on the CPU and GPU but then you'll have pretty high positive pressure. Some people do prefer positive pressure but try to keep it only slightly positive. Maybe if you have a high cfm exhaust and some quieter low cfm intakes you can create the slight positive pressure that way.

Just add up the rated cfm of each and fan decide from there.

Negative pressure generally provides better cooling and positive is more dust resistant.

H80I
2014-09-24hmp84.jpg

WIREHELL
I plan on getting a modular psu soon though.

Lol. You are a good candidate for a modular :)

If my case wasn't so big and didn't have so many hidey holes I'm sure it would look the same. My PSU is not modular either. :(

Still. There is some work you can do in there Hehe.

I've still got my serial code for windows 8 when it was $15 for the upgrade version.

Is there any legal way to use that serial to get win 8 on my new rig? I really don't feel like dishing out another $100 if I don't have to.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I've still got my serial code for windows 8 when it was $15 for the upgrade version.

Is there any legal way to use that serial to get win 8 on my new rig? I really don't feel like dishing out another $100 if I don't have to.

Pop your current HD into the new build and then follow the procedure described in this article (note, burn the ISO before you start - you'll boot from the ISO disk and then follow the procedure in the article to strip the old motherboard drivers from the copy of Windows). You probably have to reauthenticate Windows 7 (assuming it's an OEM copy), but that should be ok as long as you tell them you are only running it on one computer. Then you can upgrade your copy of Windows 7 to Windows 8.

Ettie

I kinda hope you're right. I want 21:9 to have a shot at semi-mainstream adoption in the PC world. Maybe 4k being the next big thing doesn't necessarily stop 21:9 from surviving, but I don't think it'll thrive with the 4k hype train rolling into everyone's living room and home office in the next 3-5 years.

Aside: This thread seems to be moving much quicker than usual since the 980/970 came out. Maybe I'm imagining, but still, makes me happy to see people taking the plunge :D

Really thinking I'll jump on the 4K gsync monitor. Of course that means I'll need to sell my 780Ti which I recently bought to put towards two 980s because of the 3GB restriction. What's the going rate for a Ti now?

Edit: And I only have a 750 Watt power supply.

Edit 2: Although it seems the power consumption of the 980 is low enough to where I might not need to get a new power supply even with sli.

So maybe someone here can help me:

Have had issues since this past Saturday. I'd be playing a game and 2/3 monitors would blank out (sleep/powersave mode) after 5/10 minutes tops. Sound still plays, possibly looping in the background while the PC would otherwise be locked up and need a button hard reset. Same issue occurs if the PC is left alone for awhile (hours), but is vastly accelerated by gameplay. Since then I've updated from Windows 8 -> 8.1, updated graphics drivers, checked power save settings, etc. and the issue has persisted. I took out and dusted the graphics card with compressed air and reseated it, but it didn't seem particularly dusty or anything. Issue persisted even after that.

So I've pretty much determined it's definitely hardware failure at this point. Now from what I've read it could be either the graphics card or PSU, or possibly the motherboard. I'm not sure what the PSU is, just a stock whatever that came with the Dell (XPS 8500). Graphics card is a Nvidia GT 640.

Might buy a GTX 750 Ti in the next day or two and see if that fixes it, but I'm worried I might be sinking ~$140 into something that won't solve the problem (even if it is a better card, I wasn't planning on upgrading this specific computer anytime soon).

Any ideas?

Mascot

All Windows 7 keys are not tied to a particular version--if you can somehow find a partner DVD (or any DVD that will take that key) that's 64-bit, it'll work.

Not sure I understand. I've not got a key, just got the win 7 32-bit partner DVD.

Feel free to laugh, I'm new to this stuff. I won't be offended.

xBladeM6x

Decided to re-wire my PC. Remind me to never attempt cable management on my Mid-Tower case again. Moving to Full-Tower asap. Lol

has anyone used Zotac video cards before? My first one died and is being sent for, hopefully, a replacement. Was that just a fluke, are they usually good?

Here is my new build:

i7 4790k
Gigabyte Z97x SOC motherboard
Coolermaster 212 evo
Fractal Define R4
G.Skill 16GB RAM
GTX 980
EVGA 850w modular PSU
This was my first real attempt at cable management. You don't want to see my last build.

You can't really use ubisoft games as an example of anything. They are the kings of un-optimization. There are a ton of beautiful pc games that don't require 1K in gpu costs to max out.

Smokey

With Shadows of Mordor needing 6GB of VRAM for Ultra settings...this thread is about to become even more flooded with "can I run Witcher 3" posts!

xBladeM6x

With Shadows of Mordor needing 6GB of VRAM for Ultra settings...this thread is about to become even more flooded with "can I run Witcher 3" posts!

It's such a ridiculous requirement, I almost don't believe you need it, or that it'll be that different looking. *shrugs* (Also, important to note that this only applies to the Ultra texture, and not the rest of the game, thank fuck.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom