• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall beat our sales expectations

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Still no exact numbers though.

Eurogamer said:
EA raised eyebrows by not announcing sales of Titanfall - a decision some took to indicate it had performed poorly. But [EA's CEO Andrew] Wilson told me the game beat sales expectations.

"Yeah!" he said enthusiastically. "Our expectations were high and it beat them."

An exact sales figure is unknown. EA COO Peter Moore told investors in a May 2014 financial call that Titanfall had sold 925,000 retail copies in the United States during its launch month - a number that didn't include digital sales. EA confirmed to Eurogamer this week that Titanfall is the best-selling game on Xbox One lifetime to date, based on its own data, with a high attach rate.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ll-2-for-ps4-ea-and-respawn-reflect-on-launch

So... Went from Second Best Selling title on Xbox One to Best Selling in the last month.

That's great. So it sold more than CoD: Ghost did (on Xbox One), impressive. Anyway we can use that to estimate the sales figures?

post-6493-Jennifer-Lawrence-okay-thumbs-ilbJ.gif

Im sure their expectations were alot higher.

If you haven't bought it yet, time to get on board btw. May Titanfall 2 strike the death blow to the shambling 3 headed corpse-monster that is Call of Duty.

I'll still buy the next couple of COD games day one though :(

Here is the exact quote about Titanfall sales from EA's Q4 2014 Results Conference Call:

Doug Creutz - Cowen and Co.
Thanks. I’m wondering if you could talk about Titanfall a little bit. First, if you could just share how many units you’ve sold to-date, that would be great and then you’ve mentioned the three map packs. I was wondering, you talked about live services a lot. How often are you thinking about ways to keep engagement of that game strong? See what will likely be a multiple year development process or the sequel when you’ve got other big shooters coming to market over the next six to 12 months. Thanks.

Peter Moore - Chief Operating Officer
Hey Doug, its Peter. So the first question, we said standby for Titanfall and boy! did it land and landed phenomenally well. NPD has us at 925,000 units sold through, which is for the quarter; its unbelievable considering it only arrived on the Xbox One with PC with three weeks to go. I can also tell you that the Xbox 360 version is off to a great start as well.

I don't understand their policy to abstain from sold-in.

All the major, institutional investors already know what the NPD figures are, so it really doesn't hurt giving greater context towards sold-in figures.

Greater context to investors both informed and uninformed eliminates potential doubt and skepticism.

And I can't believe it took a Q&A question for EA to finally give up some number for the product.

When I listened to the call itself it sounded like Mr. Moore just rattled a number off the top of his head...almost as if he wasn't initially prepared to brag.

So... Went from Second Best Selling title on Xbox One to Best Selling in the last month.

That's great. So it sold more than CoD: Ghost did (on Xbox One), impressive. Anyway we can use that to estimate the sales figures?

Not really.

First off, it's most likely some degree of guesstimate based off data like gfk and NPD. (which will be very reflective of the market because XB1 had limited market penetrative)

And Acitvision needs to share SKU breakdown first.

Bundy

Banned
Yeah...

EA: "It beat our sales expectations!"
Reporter: "So what are the current sales numbers and what were your expectations back then?"
EA: ".....uhm.... I have to go!"
*leaves*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Serious question here: How weird is that? They say they beat sales expectations and yet don't want to say how?

That's easy. The expectations weren't a very high number. Presumably in the 2-3 million range.

For a smaller company that's impressive, but EA is a giant fueled by megahits.

post-6493-Jennifer-Lawrence-okay-thumbs-ilbJ.gif

Im sure their expectations were alot higher.

You're right...EA does indeed grand expectations for Titanfall.

However, initial expectations are diminished due to the promotion of an SKU that has a fundamentally low installbase (a given, considering how the Xbox One is a brand new platform), and that it's an unproven new IP.

I have no doubt that the initial sales expectations were beaten...but I'm quite skeptical whether in the long-run EA's total lifetime expectations will be matched.

I thought they were expecting an absurdly high number due to the extensive marketing campaign the game had been given, but I guess I misread the situation.

Mario007

Wonder how many of those were bundles. Not that it matters to EA but it does matter to paint a picture how the game was really selling.

I thought they were expecting an absurdly high number due to the extensive marketing campaign the game had been given, but I guess I misread the situation.

They are still expecting an absurdly high number...just over the course of the IP's lifetime.

Just because it's on-track now doesn't mean it will be on-track in the future.

Initial sales of Wii U were similarly on-track in the Holiday 2012 season due to the buzz surrounding launch. Then January 2013 came and everything crashed and the Wii U became a failure.

Mechazawa

Weren't EA willing to cancel it at one point? High expectations.

To be fair, until Microsoft stepped in, the game was a black pit that kept eating money due to the Activision lawsuit. EA's probably happy to just not have to worry about throwing any more money at the base product at this point.

Based on what? They beat their overall quarterly expectations sales wise (which they gave out a few months before the game released) so presumably it had to have sold at least close to them.

Based on the fact that they hyped up the game quite alot before its initial release and even after it's release.
aaron paul playing titanfall xbox ad
Even went so far to call it as the second coming of fps or cod killer.

It's possible. We don't know if EA knew that Microsoft planned to bundle Titanfall with the console - which likely drastically affected sales.

Weren't EA willing to cancel it at one point? High expectations.

Yeah, they did reach a point where they apparently weren't willing to throw any more money at the game and MS stepped in...

Anyway, it's pretty annoying that we still don't have numbers. What are the latest guesstimates?

That's easy. The expectations weren't a very high number. Presumably in the 2-3 million range.

For a smaller company that's impressive, but EA is a giant fueled by megahits.
Hmm, that would put it in the BioWare game range I guess? I'm kind of curious what expectations are for Inquisition now though.

For comparison, I suppose, they managed to get Battlefield 3 to ship 15M, of course on much less limiting installed bases. If they want to get anywhere near that with this franchise, I'm guessing they go multiplatform going forward.

Kelsey

Banned
Number 1 selling game for the year at Amazon US on any platform. And that's not counting bundles. Mario Kart is making a run at it now though.

Yeah, they did reach a point where they apparently weren't willing to throw any more money at the game and MS stepped in...

Anyway, it's pretty annoying that we still don't have numbers. What are the latest guesstimates?

We have NPD...that's about it.

For that we have:

865K / 925K / 1 million March

77K April Xbox One

So we know the title is at least like 1.5 million by now in USA alone.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Based on the fact that they hyped up the game quite alot before its initial release and even after it's release.
aaron paul playing titanfall xbox ad
Even went so far to call it as the second coming of fps or cod killer.
Ask yourself who was doing the marketing in the examples you listed and then consider who made the statement in the OP.

Compare and contrast to the other new IP on the new consoles, Watch_dogs.

I'm still in the camp that says EA probably don't regret selling the exclusive to MS but the sequel is now in 100% multi-platform territory from 99% before. MS pushed the franchise harder than EA ever could have and TF is now established as one of the go to shootbang games of the coming generation. I could see TF2 being current gen/PC only. Getting paid to have someone else spend their money to promote a franchise for which you own the publishing rights is a rare thing indeed. There is, as yet, no indication that EA did badly out of selling the exclusive.

Compare and contrast to the other new IP on the new consoles, Watch_dogs.

I'm still in the camp that says EA probably don't regret selling the exclusive to MS but the sequel is now in 100% multi-platform territory from 99% before. MS pushed the franchise harder than EA ever could have and TF is now established as one of the go to shootbang games of the coming generation. I could see TF2 being current gen/PC only. Getting paid to have someone else spend their money to promote a franchise for which you own the publishing rights is a rare thing indeed. There is, as yet, no indication that EA did badly out of selling the exclusive.

I believe any potential failure to deliver scenario from the Titanfall IP will wound EA starting from the sequel onward.

You're right...they have a free pass for TF1.

p3tran

Banned
having bought and played ALL FPS GAMES on next gen, in my opinion titanfall still is not only the most "next gen" one, but the one that keeps playing better than everything else.
so the good sales should be no news to anybody.

Is there any evidence of this? News to me

Sure.

Read Geoff Keighley's brilliant "The Final Hours of Titanfall," where he did a ton of investigative research into the game's development.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...development-was-turbulent-saved-by-microsoft/

"It needs to be emphasized here that at the final hour, it was Microsoft that saved the project. We also know that since then, EA and Respawn plan to open up future Titanfall games to more platforms. If Microsoft had not stepped up to the plate, though, the game would have not even been made."

I believe any potential failure to deliver scenario from the Titanfall IP will wound EA starting from the sequel onward.

You're right...they have a free pass for TF1.

It's not so much a free pass as much as I think they have done better out of selling the exclusive than they would have out of promoting the game themselves as a multi-platform. EA are not good at launching new titles. Look at their record, it is crap. Letting MS do the heavy lifting by giving an early exclusive this generation has boosted TF to a level that EA would not be able to achieve. They are not as friendly with the press as MS and they do not have the same marketing power to tie in with a console launch. The only are in which I believe EA did badly was unnecessarily delaying the 360 version of the game. As an EA multiplatform game TF on XB1 would have sold worse and had worse review scores and it would not be bundled and they would have had to spend their own money promoting it. EA did well from the transaction. Better than MS for sure who got an unfinished game in return.

That's good! I want a sequel with single-player and more content from these guys. It was a neat game, but it just didn't feel like $60 worth of game to me.

driver116

The two people close in my life who are obsessed by console FPS and Xbox have no interest in Titanfall. They've failed to make a big hitter I think. The game is good.

That's good! I want a sequel with single-player and more content from these guys. It was a neat game, but it just didn't feel like $60 worth of game to me.

Same here. I bought it and played it for maybe a month or so. I think a single player campaign would have helped it a bunch in terms of value; or maybe they could have included one of the future map packs or something. Now every time I turn it on I'm in a lobby full of multiple gen players and get curb stomped.

Madness

Best Selling lifetime to date, so does anyone have any hard numbers for other games, presumably games like Call of Duty: Ghosts? Will be nice to know it's at least ahead of certain numbers.

Top Bottom