• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

Lima

“It’s a lot of different things,” explains Jason Sussman who is the senior environment artist at Bungie. “I could get really technical, but I’d bore you to death. A lot has to do with performance. We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles. A lot goes into that, from geometry to textures to post effects to particles to how many players you get on the screen. We’re always balancing that out to make sure everyone gets the same experience,”
Source

Cancel last gen versions if old

Eusis

Bleh, don't like that very last one, but the rest I can see being a bigger deal. I'd rather they just make the damn game 60 fps IF there's nothing actively holding it back but an arbitrary lock and a desire to keep things uniform across platforms, but it is a reasonably large, open game, it seems like a VERY stable 30 fps, and they're obviously not going for full on parity with PS3/360 which literally no one but crazy people would ever want.

I mean I can follow that logic, it's just that everyone's annoyed about "next gen" titles remaining on older platforms in the first place.

At least as a PS4 or Xbox One owner this kind of argumentation doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't toning down geometry, textures, effects, and particles to maintain the "same experience" across all four platforms help push the framerate towards 60 on current gen?

TUSR

Banned
Can't wait for Destiny 2 for a true current gen experience.

But this all really makes sense from a development perspective.

Toki767

The article had nothing to do with cross gen.

It actually had more to do with the Xbox One not being able to run 1080p 60fps so they made the PS4 version run at 1080p 30fps too.

KorrZ

So so so happy that Arkham Knight/ AC:U are next-gen only.....This kind of garbage really shouldn't be happening.

KJRS_1993

So cross gen is bringing the game down on current gen...

This will happen on every cross gen game, not just Destiny unfortunately.
But Destiny is such a huge financial investment, they wouldn't have had a chance of making a profit of it unless they chucked it on every single system possible.
Except for the Wii U.

This explanation about the old consoles holding it back makes no sense. It that were the case the newer consoles should be able to run it at 60fps, like Ground Zeroes.

jwhit28

How can Activision stress how important 60fps is in one multiplayer fps and then toss it away as no big deal in another? Destiny has Halo style multiplayer correct?

maneil99

PS4 and X1 might both run at the same framerate but the PS4 version will definitely look better.

How can they stress how important 60fps is in one multiplayer fps and then toss it away as no big deal in another? Destiny has Halo style multiplayer correct?
When did they stress that? They have never had a 60 fps game

It's really sad. Destiny's a beautiful game judging from the Alpha and it would look absolutely stunning at 60fps. Fingers crossed for Destiny 2.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Absolutely fine with it being 30 FPS.

Hoping to see some fidelity improvement in the PS4 version rather than forced parity though.

Wow, I've usually got a damn good eye for this sort of thing but from my time with the alpha I figured the shit was 60fps. Well, 30fps for this game is good enough for me, apparently.

bungie are never at the forefront of graphicsbengines, and this is cross platform too. wasn't unexpected.

^^^

Stay whinin' y'all

Top Bottom