• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft console sales surpass PC sales; 54 million sold across all platforms

Vitanimus

From Patrick Geuder, a data analyst at Mojang. Impressive stuff, considering there's still Vita, PS4 and X1 to release. The number includes mobile sales.

BN3EVyI.jpg

Link to tweet.

Lock if old.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Still have never played it. I feel like I'm missing out on a big piece of my hobby.

Maybe I'll give it a go tonight. Is there a Mac OS client?

P3P5I

As someone who used to be a summer camp counselor, I am not surprised. That was literally the game you talked to the kids about to get to know them.

makeitrain.gif

Goddamnit Notch you and your money!

It's interesting to see how he handled Minecraft, though. Started in Alpha, started picking up buzz, he focused on the PC version but still let it get ported to 360 and whatnot. Then those began to take off. A whole lot of fragmentation, but so many sales

Krejlooc

Banned
Still have never played it. I feel like I'm missing out on a big piece of my hobby.

Maybe I'll give it a go tonight. Is there a Mac OS client?

There are ports to just about everything. I think it's a fun game, reminds me of playing with lego as a kid. My favorite version is the minecrift vr mod, minecraft works spectacularly in vr.

Denton

to be fair, they also lumped pc and mac together.

Windows/mac/Linux is still a PC. Who cares what operating system person uses? It is still one box.

But lumping several boxes against one and claiming consoles sell better is amusing.

I've never played it, mainly because I've too much of a backlog. Closest I've come is getting addicted to Terraria for about 2-3 weeks straight, and then I've not played it since.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This thread is totally going to focus on the PC vs Console shit - totally glossing over the crazy fact thats its sold 54 million copies.

I seriously wonder how many copies this reaches before its "dead" (which given the nature of the game really never happens unless Notch just makes a Minecraft 2 someday)

khaaan

Windows/mac/Linux is still a PC. Who cares what operating system person uses? It is still one box.

But lumping several boxes against one and claiming consoles sell better is amusing.

No one has said that.

Edit: Assuming you're talking about this specific instance.

Justified

But its not against just one. Its several different configuration of PCs out that that can run Minecraft. From a $199 Laptop to a $5000 Desktop

Idba

PC/MAC has sold roughly 15.8 million editions. Lets say that 360 has sold roughly 16-17 million editions. that leaves PS3/Mobile at roughly 14 millon. Also i remember a couple of weeks/months ago that the ps3 version sold 500 thousand so will say that now it has sold 1-1.5 millon editions.

If someone could check on Google Play and the iOS web app thing how much times it has been downloaded that would be of great help since im to lazy to do it myself.

Krejlooc

Banned
This thread is totally going to focus on the PC vs Console shit - totally glossing over the crazy fact thats its sold 54 million copies.

I seriously wonder how many copies this reaches before its "dead" (which given the nature of the game really never happens unless Notch just makes a Minecraft 2 someday)

I seriously think the game is going to get a second round of popularity as vr releases. Minecraft is one of the best experiences in vr right now. I can ser kids gobbling that up.

see5harp

Yea, I was laughing when I found out Notch was the one who bought that Aphex Twin test pressing. Hell, the PS3 version didn't even come out until VERY recently and was on PC for at least a year before the 360 version was even announced. It's like Notch made Tetris or something.

Dredd97

Guess what!?
The console versions have sold more!
Seriously why do you even care?
The pc/mac versions have sold spectacularly well too, it just seems the non pc non mobile versions have sold better...

Denton

Guess what!?
The console versions have sold more!
Seriously why do you even care?
The pc/mac versions have sold spectacularly well too, it just seems the non pc non mobile versions have sold better...

I don't care at all, but you seem like you do. Calm down buddy.

Harlock

Mojang should replicate some of private server features in the Minecraft for console. Would be very cool to have on-line maps with semi-mmo features.

DC1

True.
And
True.. Minecraft 2 will never happen. But biannual worldwide content will.

The saturation point is coming and we will see what Notch is made of.

Dredd97

I seriously think the game is going to get a second round of popularity as vr releases. Minecraft is one of the best experiences in vr right now. I can ser kids gobbling that up.

That might be true, but vr is going to be expensive at first so I doubt the kids will be gobbling anything like that up...

Sentenza

And the console version on PS3 and 360 are the same game. What's the big deal?
There's not big deal. It's just about pointing a silly fallacy.
"Several different configurations on PCs" don't equal to different versions of the game.
It's still the same software, not a different port for each configuration.

And the console version on PS3 and 360 are the same game. What's the big deal? Just like the Mac version wont run on my PC, the 360 version wont run on a PS3, but it doesnt change the fact that they're the same game.

The mac version does run on PC. It's the same version.

The only difference is the launcher. Which isn't needed, and has a version that is also Java-based like the game (so you get a cross platform alternative, too)

khaaan

It was meant generally. It is said often, on GAF too.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted and went back to edit it. Guess you caught me before I could make it =P

Anyways, the whole Console VS PC approach that some are taking is silly. Good for Minecraft for being able to maintain selling power for so long and good for the other platforms for showing that they have relevance in the gaming scene for something outside of exclusives.

Krejlooc

Banned
That might be true, but vr is going to be expensive at first so I doubt the kids will be gobbling anything like that up...

A vr headset is $300. Minecrift is extremely low spec, my laptop runs it well in vr. I still agree with your sentiment, but minecrift doesn't have a high cost barrier, you don't need a $1300 rig to run it.

But yes, for the first few years, it'll be limited to just lucky kids. I still think that, when vr proliferates (as in begins to reach mass adoption, whenever that is) that minecraft will set a resurgence of popularity.

Septimus

Even more impressive since the console versions have been full price for longer. 54 million total is nuts though, damn!

Really interested to see what it'll do to Vita hardware sales. If they don't announce a bundle at Gamescom I seriously question so many people's intelligence.

Where the hell is the Steam version?!
with Workshop support!

In a parrallel universe where Notch needs the support of Steam, at all :p

Top Bottom