• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam will support 20 currencies including Vietnamese Dong S. Korean Won Turkish Lira

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In addition to the 12 new currencies that Valve told us about at Steam Dev Days earlier this year, they've also added support for Vietnamese Dong, South Korean Won, and Turkish Lira.

Background:
In anticipation of trying to get Enhanced Steam ready to work with the 12 new proposed currencies that were discussed at the Steam Dev Days earlier this year, I've been looking for a way to figure out exactly how Valve will be formatting these new currencies. If I know how they'll be formatted on the store, I can write the detection patterns into Enhanced Steam beforehand so that once these currencies go live, people who are affected by this change will still be able to use things like price history information and regional pricing comparisons in these new currencies.

Findings
I found this information using the new AJAX calls that are done on the marketplace to keep the page updated automatically.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/popular?country=US&language=english&currency=1&count=10

I noticed that &currency=1 was obviously for US Dollars, since that is what was being returned. By changing this value, I've now discovered all of the currency types that Valve has already implemented, and the findings were somewhat surprising.

currency=1
$0.21
US Dollar

currency=2
£0.99
Great British Pound

currency=3
1,23€
Euro

currency=4
Not yet implemented
Blank

currency=5
56,35 py6.
Russian Rubles

currency=6
Not yet implemented
Blank

currency=7
R$ 3,64
Brazilian Real

currency=8
¥ 166.19
Japanese Yen

currency=9
10,25 kr
Norwegian krone

currency=10
Rp 26404.83
Indonesian Rupiah

currency=11
RM5.37
Malaysian Ringgit

currency=12
P8.93
Philippine Peso

currency=13
S$0.27
Singapore Dollar

currency=14
฿53.04
Thai Baht

currency=15
5,179.15₫
Vietnamese Dong (Previously unknown)

currency=16
₩246.51
South Korean Won (Previously unknown)

currency=17
0,42 TL
Turkish Lira (Previously unknown)

currency=18
2,55₴
Ukraine Hryvnia

currency=19
Mex$ 2.79
Mexican Peso

currency=20
CDN$ 0.24
Canadian Dollar

currency=21
AUD$ 0.24
Austrailian Dollar

currency=22
NZD$ 0.28
New Zealand Dollar

values higher than 22 all return USD.

Conclusion
The evidence is there that Valve will be supporting 20 currencies in the near future. Their store currently supports only 5, meaning they've added support for 15 currencies not 12 like they were originally planning earlier this year. The order of the currency values may indicate the time frame they're planning on rolling these out, or it may not.

It's worth noting that their systems are already correctly converting these values. It's not returning placeholder data but actual data which corresponds to the equivalent USD pricing for these items.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's weird, they had a cutoff date for devs supporting the new currencies earlier this year but they never made the currencies go live. Not sure exactly why.

I guess this means nothing in regards of changes of having multiple wallets with different curencies on one account?
That's what I'm waiting for.

Valve has to know about international trading, so why not make it official and easy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's weird, they had a cutoff date for devs supporting the new currencies earlier this year but they never made the currencies go live. Not sure exactly why.

I'd assumed that Valve would have everything in place in time for the Summer Sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I assumed before that perhaps they didn't have everything in place to detect, convert, and display the information. I assume now it has something to do with legal issues.

Or perhaps they added the three new currencies to the mix and it's taking longer than expected as a result.

Berna

It's interesting to note that while the Turkish Lira wasn't explicitly cited during Steam Dev Days, Turkey was one of the highlighted countries.

QFS
v7HzjqE.png

jshackles

It's interesting to note that while the Turkish Lira wasn't explicitly cited during Steam Dev Days, Turkey was one of the highlighted countries.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure how everyone missed that.

shira

The exchange is so bad we have Canadian steam cards at Gamestop.

It used to be $25 for 25 USD, now its $22 CAD for 20 USD

Anony

so are they using .99 pound as a basis then?
since us is .21$

i hope the currency doesn't go live any time soon, canadians have it good right now, no taxes and all the market price transactions return usd, so i dont have to deal with all that shit right now

kswiston

The exchange is so bad we have Canadian steam cards at Gamestop.

It used to be $25 for 25 USD, now its $22 CAD for 20 USD

I was still getting them at par at my local store not too long ago...

I am not looking forward to the change to Canadian currency though. Current exchange is $1 USD to $1.07 CAD, but to pubs that means $60 USD = $70 CAD ....

Quirah

There is so many Steam users in Turkey because of games like Team Fortress 2, Dota 2 and Counter Strike. So many people I known that using illegal games before are now Steam users because of that crazy deals. I didn't surprised actually. Because all of Valve games and Steam is supporting Turkish language.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Argentinian peso? Clearly not, its worth less than toilet paper.
They'll never take serious this joke of a country. :/

This is a bit of an ignorant question from me.

When a new currency is introduced and you are in an affected regions, what happens to your wallet? I believe the introduction of Real was after wallets were a thing, so this should have already occurred, right?

ChapaNDJ

Banned
100 years ago, you guys were wealthier than Canada and Australia.

Bad administration, mismanagement, corrupt governments and peronism. Also, another default coming.
We could have been much better as a British colony.

I'm hoping to leave this place soon.

Berna

This is a bit of an ignorant question from me.

When a new currency is introduced and you are in an affected regions, what happens to your wallet? I believe the introduction of Real was after wallets were a thing, so this should have already occurred, right?

Valve sent the following e-mail some days before the switch happened:

Dear Steam User,

Steam will soon be priced in Brazilian Reais!

If your Steam wallet has any money in it on November 6, 2012, your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to Reais, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion.

To view your account balance, simply log into the Steam client or store and visit your account details at https://store.steampowered.com/account.

Thanks,

The Steam Support Team
http://www.steampowered.com

Also, the page Valve created for the switch, http://store.steampowered.com/reais (I don't know if this can be accessed outside of Brazil), talked about it (near the bottom of the page):

What happened to USD in my Steam Wallet?
Brazilian accounts with Steam Wallets in USD have automatically been converted to Reais, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion. To view your wallet balance and account details, go to https://store.steampowered.com/account.

jshackles

so are they using .99 pound as a basis then?
since us is .21$

i hope the currency doesn't go live any time soon, canadians have it good right now, no taxes and all the market price transactions return usd, so i dont have to deal with all that shit right now

Sorry the values I put in my original post were just random examples of things that were "most popular" at the time I pulled them up, so some of them are for different items even.

I'll see if I can get their current conversion rate table from this.

Also, the page Valve created for the switch, http://store.steampowered.com/reais (I don't know if this can be accessed outside of Brazil), talked about it (near the bottom of the page):

Yep, I can access it here, thanks for the link. Hopefully other users get a similar heads up before the switch happens in their regions.

Nzyme32

That's an interesting find. There was a Q&A at Dev days, possibly the business update talk, where someone asked about why they are not focusing on South Korea... and yet it appears that they may well be doing that now.

Since this is still not implemented and the Summer Sale seems like it would have been an ideal candidate for such a launch, I guess there are either legal issues or there are some sort of issues regarding localised payment options in some regions?

₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺
Just in case they missed it, but honestly I thought they didn't do proper research and/or forgot turkish lira. Just like jshackles forgetting it :p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/₺
Anyway this good news, because conversion fees weren't easy. But I wonder if paypal will consider steam in local market since they use ₺ or not. Anybody with experience on the matter?

jbueno

Wohoooo Mexican Pesos! Hopefully the prices will be better than what my bank charges me for USD transactions

jshackles

₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺₺
Just in case they missed it, but honestly I thought they didn't do proper research and/or forgot turkish lira. Just like jshackles forgetting it :p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/₺
Anyway this good news, because conversion fees weren't easy. But I wonder if paypal will consider steam in local market since they use ₺ or not. Anybody with experience on the matter?

I've only reported on the way that Steam is currently formatting the values. And right now they're formatting it as TL, although that could be a placeholder.

I've only reported on the way that Steam is currently formatting the values. And right now they're formatting it as TL, although that could be a placeholder.

Nah, the adoption rate of the new symbol is still too low. Internet savvy steam users will probably recognize it but there might be some that can be confused by it.

jshackles

So I compiled the currency tables for TF2 keys, to give everyone an idea of the exchange rates:

• usd = $2.19
  • gbp = £1.29
  • eur = 1,61€
  • rub = 73,60 py6.
  • brl = R$ 4,80
  • jpy = ¥ 222.36
  • nok = 13,41 kr
  • idr = Rp 26504.12
  • myr = RM7.06
  • php = P96.76
  • sgd = S$2.71
  • thb = ฿70.72
  • vnd = 46,950.28₫
  • krw = ₩2,224.93
  • try = 4,69 TL
  • uah = 26,76₴
  • mxn = Mex$ 28.61
  • cad = CDN$ 2.36
  • aud = AUD$ 2.34
  • nzd = NZD$ 2.49

Keep this shit out of my Steam for as long as humanly possible. I am not paying CDN$64.99 for no goddamned games, Steam. NEVER.

Top Bottom