• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP Humongous Entertainment (Putt Putt, Freddi Fish, Backyard Sports and more!)

Let me bring you back to the past, to a world before shooter-babbies crying into microphones, to a time when good taste and family fun achieved complete global saturation, and to an age when one corporation ruled gaming hearts and minds everywhere. The age of motha-flippin' tentacle-swingin' 90's gangsta-low-rida Humongous Entertainment.

Wiki_Welcome.png

Look at that child-friendly swag. Those educating pearly-whites.

Playa, you don't know role-playing until you've experienced the abyssal adventures of Freddi Fish and Luther. You don't know racing car games until you've experienced the high-octane hijinks of Putt-Putt and Puppy Pep. You don't know survival-horror until you've experienced the bed-wetting psychologically thrilling I-forgot-to-buy-soap-before-coming-home-today-and-it's-only-five o'clock-but-the-nearest-store-is-a-twenty-minute-walk-and-my-jeans-are-chafing existential nightmares of Pajama Sam.

Mr. stuffed-and-puffed Fatty Bear, big teddy in the toy-box, waited alone and came to life in a little girl's room TWO YEARS before Woody and friends did in 1995. We can all obviously see who inspired what.

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

38546-fatty-bear-s-birthday-surprise-dos-screenshot-kayla-wakes-ups.gif

These games were my childhood years. I remember spending DAYS making custom fireworks at the Fireworks Factory with Putt-Putt, getting the house ready for a party with Fatty Bear, finding the missing kelp seeds over and over again, making complicated new underwater mazes and doing oodles of side-quests with Freddi Fish and Luther. I was only 6 years old in 1998 when my parents gave me a copy of 'Putt-Putt Goes To the Moon', and I was hooked. I learned how to read better as a kid by playing Humongous Entertainment games and listening to and reading all the dialogue. Humongous Entertainment games are what got me into gaming in the first place!

PICS!

So, GAF, let's toast to the finest collection of kids' games this world has ever seen:

HE_Logo.png

This brings back so many memories. I've replayed Freddy fish so many damn times when I was young, and I would always play the demo of spy fox and marvel at how cool he was. Thank you for the blast to the past, damn I've gotten old quick.

Blue Volt

Banned
Pajama Sam 3 was the best game they made and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Okay, and Spy Fox 2 was pretty awesome too.

Blue Volt

Banned
iirc the company went bankrupt a few years back, but then got bought out by another company in 2014. Don't quote me on that though.

Night Dive Studios re-released a load of their games on Steam, but they do a lot of that with old games, so I doubt they'd use the IPs for anything new.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I would be legitimately hyped if the Backyard Sports came to Steam. Pablo must return.

Necrovex

I played Backyard Football and Backyard Baseball so much as a kid. Pablo was too OP.

Did Fatty Bear ever have another game besides the house one?

I never played Spy Fox as a kid. :-(

God, I invested way too many hours into these games. These memories. Mmmmmmm.

A part of my childhood I had forgotten. Fatty Bear and Putt-Putt were my jam, I'm kinda mad I forgot about them in the first place. I'm surprised I played games off floppy discs

Elessar

Neo Member
I remember playing one of the Freddie Fish games over and over again, when I was young. It was just so fun and immersive! Thanks for the reminder. Gonna get it on Steam if it's there.

Strider

I used to play Backyard Baseball for hours at a time. Loved those games so much. If they were on steam or some other place available for download I'd buy them right now.

I was the KING of Backyard Football. Undefeated in hundreds of games. Pablo Sanchez was godly at every sport. The secret weapon.

I think I still have the discs somewhere.

These games were my childhood. Favorites were Pajama Sam In You Are What You Eat, Pajama Sam and the weather Machine, and Putt Putts Balloon Adventure.

I remember getting a Freddi Fish game for getting my haircut as a kid. I think that was at Great Clips?
Good times, good times. Played the shit out of that game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man these games were the fucking best. These, the Myst games, and Sonic 3 were the games of my childhood. The attention to detail and clever writing in these games was just awesome

Pajama Sam was the man

udivision

I almost want to buy a putt-putt game just to finally beat one. 1 hour time slots at the public library made that impossible...

rav

If I had kids, I'd have bought this on the steam sale already.
Maybe i'll do it for my inner child ;)

Fun fact: the prototype for Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo hides this charming image in its code..

jalb3M8.png

http://tcrf.net/Proto:Putt-Putt_Saves_the_Zoo#Room_4_.28Mr._Hippo.29

HAHAHAA WHAT that's amazing! :D

BTW, who's everyone's favourite character? Fatty Bear for me. I remember having the most fun exploring that kid's house in Birthday Surprise. OG takes no sass from nobody, has pockets for days and gets his 9-to-5 done like a professional

JKF63G2.jpg

My second favourite would be this guy:

r5kVaTy.jpg

Super-shady black market minor-flashing manta ray is the best kind of manta ray.

I remember playing these as a kid but the only details I can recall are a game called Putt-Putt goes to Moon.

EDIT: my brain wasn't lying to me!

73xA6ya.png

Top Bottom