• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming PC Desk Advice

Calibus

I am looking to possibly get a new PC desk and wanted to get some input please.

My deskspace needs are the following:

Case

Two 23" monitors

Speakers

Printer

A cable modem

A wireless router

Plus extra space to work on/future expansion

Looking to spend: hopefully no more than $150, would prefer around $100

yatesl

Unorthodox, but when I needed a specific PC desk (I have a very small room), I purchases a piece of wood from my local DIY store and some metal legs, and built one myself.

R4YaKOX.jpg

It's not pretty, but it does the job - just an idea! Ignore the trash and empty glasses round it.

Calibus

Yikes at those IKEA prices.

Here is what I have now. Great desk, don't get me wrong but seems like it would be a bit cramped for all the stuff I will need put on there if my cube case goes up top. The wheeled case tray is not the right shape or size to hold the case I linked, but I guess I could always just set it on the floor (hardwood).

BPoole

Check Craigslist in your area for furniture. I found a 5'x3' desk with a keyboard drawer for $25. I could easily fit 3 monitors and an audio receiver on it

I'm very happy with my ikea Galant - even though it's slightly above your price range I think it'd be worth it. I love mine, it's super modular and is fairly high quality... I can easily see it lasting well over a decade. At the price point you have, I don't think you're going to find better options.

I just realized you have a $150 cap, and looking on IKEA's site it looks like the Galant is way out of your range - it's not. Some of the preconfigured options are in the $200 range, but mine was just the $110 top with frame and some legs (can't be more than $30 or $40. You can always add on later if you need more space or features.

tarheel91

If you don't want to spend more than $150, I propose this Galant desk:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89806740/

Here's the best part: they're expandable. You can take that 47" and use it until you need more space or can afford to expand, and then add a 23" or another 47" or a 60" even. You just pick up another desk and the proper expander frame piece that goes underneath. The legs are height adjustable and the desk overall looks great.

danserv

Neo Member
Yikes at those IKEA prices.

Here is what I have now. Great desk, don't get me wrong but seems like it would be a bit cramped for all the stuff I will need put on there if my cube case goes up top. The wheeled case tray is not the right shape or size to hold the case I linked, but I guess I could always just set it on the floor (hardwood).

You should be able to get the rectangle shaped version of the Galant for a few dollars cheaper. I'm not sure you'll be able to fit all the stuff on your list on it, though.

Laconic

Banned
I just thoroughly read the OP's needs for his desk. Yeah... he's not going to be able to get what he needs for less than $350. Unless want-ads, hand-me-down, or remaindered.

Cheeky

I just thoroughly read the OP's needs for his desk. Yeah... he's not going to be able to get what he needs for less than $350. Unless want-ads, hand-me-down, or remaindered.

I think the best bet would be to look for a company clearing its office. I managed to snag a very nice desk from something like that. He could look for a bankrupt company auction site.

Calibus

A friend of mine made his own desk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTv2hEfeFP4

Just get a soldering iron and solder away!*

*Might also require modifications on your house for the watercooling loop

That is friggin awesome, but I am in no way talented or handy enough to even approach that, heh.

I shudder to think of the cost.

Starts at about $35,000US (£20,000). Or I could get a new vehicle :p

If you don't want to spend more than $150, I propose this Galant desk:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89806740/

Here's the best part: they're expandable. You can take that 47" and use it until you need more space or can afford to expand, and then add a 23" or another 47" or a 60" even. You just pick up another desk and the proper expander frame piece that goes underneath. The legs are height adjustable and the desk overall looks great.

This is a thought but I fail to see how IKEA possibly justifies those prices. Is it the quality of material they use? EDIT: Or to clarify, I fail to see how IKEA justifies the prices for what are practically card tables.

It's a bit over your current budget, but I highly recommend the IKEA Fredde desk. Like you I was recently trying to find a computer desk for around $100, but after a couple of weeks I just wasn't finding anything in that price-range that I was really happy with. Decided to bump it up and I'm glad I did. This thing is awesome - it has plenty of leg room, lots of shelf space and two shelves down below for towers / subwoofers etc.

Lb40ZYM.jpg

tarheel91

That is friggin awesome, but I am in no way talented or handy enough to even approach that, heh.

Starts at about $35,000US (£20,000). Or I could get a new vehicle :p

This is a thought but I fail to see how IKEA possibly justifies those prices. Is it the quality of material they use? EDIT: Or to clarify, I fail to see how IKEA justifies the prices for what are practically card tables.

A card table is plywood with some vinyl stretched on top and some tiny ass legs. Do you know how much a name brand desk setup capable of supporting all the things you want to put on it cost? At least four figures.

You can get this for $200:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30116264/

It can be 55", 70", or 88" depending on how many leaves you use.

If you can't afford to spend much, just get this and call it a day:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Folding-T...door-Picnic-Party-Dining-Camp-Tables/34803942

Calibus

Thanks for the suggestions all. I will probably keep my current L-Shaped Techni Mobili for now and possibly grab a couple IKEA Galants in the future.

supergiz

I just got my mattress for my small Brooklyn apartment thanks to the mattress thread, so I thought I'd ask here about the desk.

I am limited to a tight budget and have to go through Amazon (my parents are giving me one as a gift).

There is a huge selection on Amazon and I would prefer one that doesn't have the separate area below for mouse and keyboard.

Any thoughts?

The Ikea Jerker IMO remains the finest desk ever created.
desktop.jpg

Enormous desktop area, vertical shelving, side shelving. All the shelves and desktop are metal reinforced and can carry a ton of weight. Easy to assemble/disassemble.

Check your local craigslist for one.

Hoo-doo

Banned
desktop.jpg

Enormous desktop area, vertical shelving, side shelving. All the shelves and desktop are metal reinforced and can carry a ton of weight. Easy to assemble/disassemble.

The name is aptly chosen.

It looks like shit.

mintyice

desktop.jpg

This. They are fantastic and if you raise them up they can be standing desks.

RS4-

I got my galant for $50 second hand, instead of paying $400 at Ikea.

Was worth it. If I switch desks, I'll probably just get the Ikea kitchen counter tops and add legs on one end and the bookshelf on the other.

Top Bottom