• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo patents various means of eye tracking for enhancing gameplay

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
nintendo_eyetrackingycj3o.png

On March 5, 2014, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed in the US a patent application for "Eye Tracking Enabling 3D Viewing on Conventional 2D Display ". It was published today, on July 3, via the USPTO. Inventors are Howard Cheng (manager, Nintendo Technology Development) and William C Newman, JR. (I do not know relation with Nintendo). For a patent it's surprisingly forward and deals with eye tracking, mainly via 3D glasses, and how this can enhance gameplay. As it's not that lengthy, I take the liberty of posting the majority of the text. I have bolded interestings parts.

Inventors: CHENG; Howard; (Sammamish, WA) ; NEWMAN, JR.; William C.; (Redmond, WA)
Applicant: Nintendo Co., Ltd., Kyoto, JP
Assignee: Nintendo Co., Ltd., Kyoto, JP
Family ID: 1000000473577
Appl. No.: 14/197831
Filed: March 5, 2014

Abstract

The exemplary illustrative non-limiting technology herein enables 3D viewing on conventional 2D displays such as home television sets by tracking a person's viewpoint. Detecting a player's viewpoint movement to change the viewing of the displayed object gives the illusion that the object is physically present in three-dimensional space. Viewpoint movement detection can provide collision-related game logic benefits such as allowing a player to dodge projectiles, giving a game character an ability to "see" the player when not behind line-of-sight obstacles, and other advantages.

FIELD

[0002] The technology herein relates to three-dimensional imaging, and more particularly to 3D viewing on conventional 2D displays such as televisions by tracking a person's viewpoint. The technology herein also relates to viewpoint movement detection providing collision related game logic benefits including for example allowing a player to dodge projectiles and/or a game character's ability to see the player when not behind line of sight obstacles.

BACKGROUND AND SUMMARY

[0003] Three-dimensional imaging has become extremely popular. For example, as more and more home viewing occurs on large-screen high resolution televisions and other display devices, movie theaters have sought to differentiate the movie theater experience from home viewing by offering three-dimensional films. As is well known, such technology works by encoding stereoscopic images in different colors, and using special 3D glasses with color filters to present different (offset) images to the left and right eyes. Such 3D films can create remarkable viewing experiences to theater goers willing to wear special 3D glasses. However, while it is also possible to provide the same 3D viewing experience on home televisions and other home display devices through use of specially-encoded images and 3D viewing glasses, such technology has not yet caught on at least in part because many viewers don't want to always wear 3D glasses to watch television in their living rooms and dens.

[0004] Other ways are known for providing 3D viewing experiences without the need for special 3D glasses but instead by using specialized 3D display devices. For example, specialized stereoscopic lenticular displays are known that present different images to the left and right eyes thereby creating a 3D imaging effect. While such viewing systems have benefits and advantages, the cost of specialized displays for large sized images such as in a living room may be prohibitive and the technology might not work especially well on large screens. Some segments of the gaming community have become used to playing certain kinds of games (e.g., action-adventure, sports, etc.) on large LCD, plasma or other high-definition display screens. While it may eventually be possible to deploy large display screens especially adapted for 3D viewing in a cost-effective manner, there will likely always be legacy 2D display screens for which it would be useful to provide a 3D display experience without use of special glasses or other special display technology.

[0005] Much work has been done in the past in connection with tracking a viewer's position or viewpoint, and generating a responsive 3D display. For example, it is common in virtual realty or other similar systems to provide a so-called "heads-up" display that is responsive to the position and orientation of a user's head. In some such systems, a user wears a special helmet containing inertia measurement electronics. The helmet senses the direction the user is looking as well as the orientation of the user's head. In response, a computer generates an interactive image that reflects the user's current viewpoint. Such images so generated can provide a high degree of realism and interesting three-dimensional imaging effects. It would be desirable to provide similar 3D imaging using a home television and other home electronics within cost, usability and other constraints present in the average home.

[0006] The exemplary illustrative non-limiting technology herein enables 3D viewing on conventional 2D displays such as home television sets by tracking a person's viewpoint. Detecting a player's viewpoint movement to change the viewing of the displayed object gives the illusion that the object is physically present in three-dimensional space. Viewpoint movement detection can provide collision-related game logic benefits such as allowing a player to dodge projectiles, giving a game character an ability to "see" the player when not behind line-of-sight obstacles, and other advantages.

[0007] Some exemplary illustrative non-limiting implementations enable physical presence on standard two-dimensional displays such as televisions through tracking a player's viewpoint using a relatively wide field of view (FOV) so that tracking does not stop prematurely when the player moves out of range Additionally, object placement is used to maximize parallax, which in turn enhances the effect(s) of physical presence.

[0008] In other illustrative non-limiting implementations, additional game play capabilities are enabled to e.g., moving the user's head and body to position the eye as a natural motion to seeing 3D objects. This allows participating game players to for example dodge game objects, and to permit virtual game characters to be "aware" of the human game player's location and/or presence.

[0009] In some illustrative non-limiting implementations, tracking a single point on or near the user is sufficient to enable such a dramatic effect. Tracking more points allows for additional capability, but even single point tracking provides significant and dramatic benefits.

[0010] Additional Example Non-Limiting Features and Advantages

[0011] Enable physical presence on standard 2 dimensional displays such as television through: [0012] Tracking player's viewpoint [0013] Wide FOV (tracking doesn't stop prematurely as compared to many or most prior solutions that have narrower angles <50 degrees FOV) [0014] Object placement to maximize parallax. Parallax enhances effect of physical presence.

[0015] Enable Additional Game Play Capability [0016] Moving head+body to position the eye is a natural motion to see 3D objects [0017] Dodge game objects [0018] Game character is aware of player's location and presence

[0019] Tracking Technology [0020] head/eye tracking and matching 3D space modeling between virtual reality and real word geometry provides 3D viewing [0021] even a single point is enough to enable this dramatic effect. More points allows for additional capability but single point benefit is the most significant and already dramatic.

Some Non-Limiting Tracking Options

Camera Based Tracking

[0022] Marker on Head, Camera on TV

[0023] Visible Light Band Camera [0024] Face Detection software determine location of the head and extrapolate the position of the eyes [0025] To improve detection, increase signal-to-noise ratio by wearing a marker

[0026] IR Camera [0027] Infrared spectrum enhanced detect by ignoring all visible spectrum image. [0028] Infrared emitter (IR LED) illuminate the scene with retroreflector markers. [0029] IR emitter can be worn directly as markers providing high signal/noise ratio.

[0030] Wide Field of View [0031] Enable larger viewpoint tracking range and result in freedom of user motion. Typical image camera is <50 degrees FOV. It is desirable to achieve 110 degree horizontal and 70 degree vertical field of view.

[0032] Number of Markers [0033] 1 point provides viewpoint movement along a spherical shell [0034] 2 markers provides position in 3D space of the viewpoint assuming eye is looking at the screen. [0035] >=3 points provide position in 3D space of the viewpoint as well as eye viewing orientation. [0036] 1 point provides the greatest physical presence as player normally moves head side to side to view an object or scene to understand the spatial structure. [0037] 2 point adds the ability to move viewpoint closer or further from the display assuming the eye remain looking at the display (reasonable assumption) [0038] 3 points provide viewpoint orientation. Game can become aware of player's viewing direction (e.g. other game characters might say "hey look at me")

[0039] Wearable Mount [0040] Hat [0041] Headband [0042] Glasses [0043] Anything wearable on head or even other part of the body represents possible mounting opportunity

[0044] Options [0045] Camera on head, marker on TV [0046] Multiple cameras to divide field of view

[0047] Other Tracking Technologies [0048] Magnetic [0049] Ultrasonic

Example Usage

[0050] Viewing:

[0051] The illusion of physical presence

[0052] Players natural movement as viewing input

[0053] Dodging

Game Character Awareness

[0054] E.g. Game character becoming aware when the player looks away

Physical Presence Visual Enhancement

[0055] These techniques maximize the 3D object's physical presence illusion: [0056] View point change results in view frustum change [0057] Objects modeled in real world coordinates and placed near the physical TV screen [0058] Increase parallax--introduce near field and far field objects in view to maximize parallax motion [0059] Enhance movement by scaling and offsets of marked points or marker placement [0060] 3D data can be modeled in real world space coordinates (e.g., a 3D character such as a football player can be 15'' tall placed near the plane of the display) [0061] As user eye position moves, appropriately rotate and translate in 3D characters to match the proper viewing from new eye position

And of course the imagery:

eyetracking_sida_02abku6.png

eyetracking_sida_03rpjfx.png

eyetracking_sida_041yj85.png

eyetracking_sida_0582jwm.png

[0085] FIGS. 4A-4C show different non-limiting options for devices that can be worn on the head and can support a marker or emitter for tracking purposes. Such devices can include for example a hat, a headband, glasses, or anything that is wearable or supportable on the head or other part of the body to provide possible mounting opportunities. For camera based tracking, it is possible for example to wear a marker 56b on the head and provide a camera 56a in a stationary position such as on the display 52. A visible band light camera can be used in conjunction with face detection software to determine the location of the head and to extrapolate the position of the eyes. To improve detection, it is possible to decrease the signal-to-noise ratio by wearing a marker. In the case of an IR camera, the infrared spectrum detection can be enhanced by ignoring all visible spectrum. Infrared (IR) emitters such as IR LEDs can be used to illuminate a scene with retroreflector markers. An IR emitter can be worn directly as markers providing high signal-to-noise ratio. Other arrangements can include a camera on the player's head and a marker on the display 52 or other fixed location in the room, or multiple cameras or other imaging devices to divide the field of view. Ultrasonic, magnetic, electromagnetic or any other suitable tracking technology can be used.

eyetracking_sida_0678kvw.png

eyetracking_sida_073ekn9.png

eyetracking_sida_08cskwe.png

eyetracking_sida_09j3jxv.png

eyetracking_sida_10s8klw.png

eyetracking_sida_111mjen.png

eyetracking_sida_12ynkwv.png

eyetracking_sida_13d4jki.png

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS

[0062] These and other features and advantages will be better and more completely understood by referring to the following detailed description of exemplary non-limiting illustrative embodiments in conjunction with the drawings of which:

[0063] FIG. 1 schematically shows an example non-limiting graphics display system including user tracking;

[0064] FIGS. 2A and 2B illustrate different example non-limiting tracking types;

[0065] FIGS. 3A-3C further illustrate example non-limiting tracking types;

[0066] FIGS. 4A-4C illustrate example non-limiting headgear for tracking head position and movement;

[0067] FIGS. 5A-5C show example viewing frustum in front of a subject's eyes for different viewing directions;

[0068] FIGS. 6A-6C show example graphics perspectives;

[0069] FIGS. 7A-7B show example images without 3-D enhancement but with parallax effects;

[0070] FIGS. 8A-8C show example images with 3-D enhancement;

[0071] FIG. 9 shows an example non-limiting software processing algorithm;

[0072] FIGS. 10A-10K show example third person images based on different head positions; and

[0073] FIGS. 11A-11H show additional first person example non-limiting 3-D enhanced images.

Detailed descriptions for each of these are available at the link. I posted the detailed description for figures 4A-4C above under the related image. However, there is a very interesting section at the end of the document, with further example enhancements this invention can bring. I bolded the enhancements I find most peculiar.

[0095] Further example enhancements:

[0096] Augmented Reality. Some synthetic picture intermixed with the real world can be used. This is a quick and realistic possibility to e.g., project certain types of images such as robots or to play a chess game. If we can locate in the real world where a planar surface is, we could each look through this object and see the same virtual object augmented into the real world. A display that is 50% real world, 50% synthetic, with positioning techniques and way to possibly detect motion or position is possible.

[0097] It is possible to use goggles to accommodate eye glasses. If used, then it is possible to handle see-through. An alternative is to capture the real world with a camera. Resolution is less, but we get the benefit of providing a hyper stereo view and enhancement of real world view.

[0098] It is possible to Invite your Curiosity by displaying the "inside" image on a screen that everyone could see. One way: cupped mirror could be half-reflective, one-way so observers can see an image of what the user is seeing. This gets a larger group involvement. Another way is to provide multiple head sets.

[0099] Enhancing the VR experience Additional output devices that enhance the experience can be provided. For example, we can put light out that is correlated to the image to provide "ultra wide field of view correlated lighting." Given that your eye does not see clearly in the periphery, this could still be useful and interesting.

[0100] Additionally, smell is a very strong sense. There may be some ways to produce aromas for a very strong experience.

[0101] Virtual wind could enhance the experience.

[0102] Temperature: blowing cool air on your face.

[0103] Physiologically comfortable stereo viewing is a way to prevent headaches. If you find a little spec on your windshield, focus on that and then far field and then back again. Eye strain happens quite quickly. Lots of folks in the past require the users to focus far field and close up, but this can cause headaches. We can stay on one side of the focal point cone, to provide higher level of comfort.

[0104] Detect Emotions via monitoring mental state. Brain wave detection, detect eye movement, heart rate monitor or the like can be used. If we provide goggles, we can also provide detectors (electrodes) fairly easily.

[0105] Shroud Possible to filtering out the real world by using a shroud

[0106] While the technology herein has been described in connection with exemplary illustrative non-limiting embodiments, the invention is not to be limited by the disclosure. The invention is intended to be defined by the claims and to cover all corresponding and equivalent arrangements whether or not specifically disclosed herein.
Source: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...s1=Nintendo.AS.&OS=AN/Nintendo&RS=AN/Nintendo

If link doesn't work, just search the application number here.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Guess we know now what Phillips will patent 18 months from now.

KHlover

Banned
3D image on a 2D screen seems like the bigger news here to me.
Edit: Although this is achieved by the Eye Tracking of course.

Philips: "We had already trademarked tiny football players coming out of your TV technology way before Nintendo did and we expect to be compensated for infringing in our patents"
But seriously, not too sure what to make of this. I guess Nintendo is considering making 3D Displays for 2D TVs, but I don't see them releasing anything like this anytime soon

CTLance

Reminds me of some of the fun things modders managed to do with the wiimote, resulting in pretty much the same effect.

RiggyRob

3D image on a 2D screen seems like the bigger news here to me.
Edit: Although this is achieved by the Eye Tracking of course.

Natural evolution of the 3DS technology perhaps?

'Shroud to filter out the real world' - sounds like Nintendo's foray into VR is going to be dark and mysterious.

Edit: Smell sounds like what Microsoft experimented with for the X1, 'virtual wind' is meaningless unless they're installing fans, and monitoring mental state sounds like Vitality Sensor 2.0

It's an old video, but this seems like a good time to bring it up.

Surprised Nintendo didn't try something like this sooner, seems like a cool effect. At this point though, I'd probably want them to just skip it and go straight to more of a VR approach.
Ah, so that's what this is. Got it confused for something else. It's kind of neat, I guess. Probably wouldn't be too expensive (you just need a pair of glasses with the wii mote sensor) and wouldn't take as big a hit on performance as normal 3D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Smell-o-vision intensifies.

I wonder if Zelda smells as sweet as I imagine she does.

If they find a way to do this with the next DS, or Wii system, and it have an improved (ie not location locked) stereoscopic 3D, I'll be happy. This is what I want from 3D.

Regiruler

I've never played vanquish, but from what I know that is the first game that comes to mind that could be made amazing through this technology.

How far off am I GAF?

If they find a way to do this with the next DS, or Wii system, and it have an improved (ie not location locked) stereoscopic 3D, I'll be happy. This is what I want from 3D.

They DID do this with the original DS. Forget the name of the puzzle game for DSi, it was only released in Japan.

The thing is, such a display is much better/believable than stereoscopic 3D is because we generally aren't very close to the objects being shown in our displays. You can layer the technologies together and get even better results of course.

(edit) found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUC5JJCxx5k

Jito

Banned
Less gimmicks please Nintendo. You've still not used the tablet to it's full advantage / at all.

Jinko

Well isn't that just standard head tracking, how can you patent that ?

Unless they are patenting the means to calculate eye distance from a head tracking device, its' still not going to know where your eyes are looking surely ?

Seems kind of redundant especially with VR on the horizon.

I wonder if this is what their QoL platform is going to be, as a non-wearable.
Creating VR fitness scenarios, and using a lightweight set of glasses to headtrack and vitality sensor you to manage a workout.

I had a feeling Nintendo might go down the route of Augmented Reality, rather than Virtual Reality. AR still offers the potential for inclusive multiplayer, as you can still see everyone else while playing your game, whereas VR shuts everyone else out on a sensory level at least (even if you can include VR for local multiplayer).

It would make much more sense to see them trying to integrate AR into the local multiplayer of games like 3D World and Mario Kart, rather than simply hopping on the VR bandwagon when, frankly, a lot of their games wouldn't be a good fit.

EDIT

Ah, seems to be less Augmented Reality (what I assumed with figures coming out of the screen) and more creating a 3D effect using headtracking. Still, I would be surprised if Nintendo go down the interactive glasses route, and don't incorporate AR in some fashion, given they've already started down the AR road with certain bits of 3DS software.

Smell? Cool air blowing on my face? Emotion detection?! This is what I've always dreamed about!

That sounds sarcastic, but really these are all things I wondered if could enhance gameplay in the future. Sounds like Nintendo's next console. Of course, they could never make anything out of this, but this patent seems a bit more detailed than some of the more generic ones.

terrisus

Given my vision issues since my stroke last year, I wouldn't be able to use anything with "vision tracking."

Jinko

I had a feeling Nintendo might go down the route of Augmented Reality, rather than Virtual Reality. AR still offers the potential for inclusive multiplayer, as you can still see everyone else while playing your game, whereas VR shuts everyone else out on a sensory level at least (even if you can include VR for local multiplayer).

It would make much more sense to see them trying to integrate AR into the local multiplayer of games like 3D World and Mario Kart, rather than simply hopping on the VR bandwagon when, frankly, a lot of their games wouldn't be a good fit.

But doesn't AR still only apply to one viewer ?

Granted its a lot more social but only one image can produce 3D for one person right ?

It could be pretty awesome for the next handheld though.

Touch screens were gimmicks too, before iPhone.

No, touch screens were crap and kind of expensive before Iphone, so they never took off.

MilesTeg

Banned
This looks extremely cheap to implement for Nintendo hardware wise. Much less expensive than the Gamepad for example. Wonder if their next handheld could produce the same effect. No reason why it couldn't right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Creating 3d on a 2d screen by rendering objects based on the players position and what the player watches seems very interesting.

But doesn't AR still only apply to one viewer ?

Granted its a lot more social but only one image can produce 3D for one person right ?

It could be pretty awesome for the next handheld though.

No, touch screens were crap and kind of expensive before Iphone, so they never took off.

Absolutely. My comment was more based around the idea of Nintendo combining eyetracking with glasses similar to Google glass (horrendous as they look) to allow extra visual information to be displayed directly on the glasses lenses. There's not too much indication of that yet, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't something Nintendo weren't considering. It would offer many of the benefits of VR, while also allowing it to be a more social experience. If you could produce the glasses cheaply enough, you could have multiple players each getting their own visual information on their glasses while still playing together on the same screen.

As shown here, yes, it's based more around a single-player concept, but if Nintendo are going down the road of wearable glasses, I expect this to at least be a feature they consider. Imagine playing a split-screen shooter, but rather than having the gun waste space on your screen real estate, the screen shows an uncluttered field of view with a reticule, and your glasses display the gun in the corner of your vision.

That's just one idea they could play around with using this sort of tech, and I imagine they've got all sorts of crazy prototypes in the works.

QOL is supposed to be unwearable and this is, thus it's not QOL

This patent is literally describing non-wearable VR, in that all of the processing and display is done away from you, unlike traditional vr where tracking and dsiplay are located on a wearable helmet.

Non-wearable doesn't mean there is nothing about it you 'wear', it means the tech doing the function is not worn.

geordiemp

QOL is supposed to be unwearable and this is, thus it's not QOL

My controversial opinion - QOL always comes across as a placeholder for the next Nintendo add on peripheral to tide over shareholder opinion...

If its a placeholder people speak in philosophical terms only about the product, and speaking without saying anything seems to rub me up (QOL / Cloud etc).....

810cec41fc55e30b3634345e63d45138.png

You mean I could apply this to Aiden Pearce's Iconic Cap&#8482; ©2014?!

More seriously,

[0104] Detect Emotions via monitoring mental state. Brain wave detection, detect eye movement, heart rate monitor or the like can be used. If we provide goggles, we can also provide detectors (electrodes) fairly easily.

I would love to see this get used, especially if it (1) causes the game to react accordingly and/or (2) gets used in an infographic among players who consented to have their data sent to Nintendo, to show how many people responded in certain ways to focal points of a narrative-heavy game. The best part is, since this monitors brain and heart activity, it's not inclined to get faked out by people who try to cover up their actual thoughts on a scene, nor is it likely to misinterpret the reactions given by people who have difficulty with nonverbal communication and facial expressions, such as people on the autism spectrum.

They DID do this with the original DS. Forget the name of the puzzle game for DSi, it was only released in Japan.

The thing is, such a display is much better/believable than stereoscopic 3D is because we generally aren't very close to the objects being shown in our displays. You can layer the technologies together and get even better results of course.

(edit) found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUC5JJCxx5k

Oh I'm aware of that, I just want it layered. After the 3DS's 3D I want to have the visual depth as well as the parallax.

majik13

So is this essetially this?
Head Tracking? essetially something like Track IR?

The thread title implies eye tracking , but everything I skimmed through seemed to be about head tracking.

Also I am assuming when they say 3D images, they mean more or less 2D with parallax relative to how the user moves. And not necessarily Stereo 3D(left eye/right eye) images that have depth. But I suppose it could be coupled with a 3D TV.

edit: looks like this video has already been posted.

How has this shit not already been patented like ten years ago?

yeah, isnt this essentially like Track IR, and I am sure several other devices?

hachi

Banned
It's an old video, but this seems like a good time to bring it up.

Surprised Nintendo didn't try something like this sooner, seems like a cool effect. At this point though, I'd probably want them to just skip it and go straight to more of a VR approach.

This effect looks great when shown in a video, but honestly is nothing special when seen in person. The illusion of depth you're seeing on Youtube is completely shattered by normal stereo depth perception, which can only be mitigated and made to look remotely like the video if you close one eye.

This patent is literally describing non-wearable VR, in that all of the processing and display is done away from you, unlike traditional vr where tracking and dsiplay are located on a wearable helmet.

Non-wearable doesn't mean there is nothing about it you 'wear', it means the tech doing the function is not worn.

The patent also describes in-depth gameplay benefits and uses a football game as an example.

There are two things that I'm fairly sure of:
1.) That football game will never exist because EA hates Nintendo
2.) This isn't QOL

How has this shit not already been patented like ten years ago?

Most 'good' patents patent a method rather than a concept, and the majority of work in the VR space is focussed around wearables

EDIT:
The patent also describes in-depth gameplay benefits and uses a football game as an example.

There are two things that I'm fairly sure of:
1.) That football game will never exist because EA hates Nintendo
2.) This isn't QOL

If you assume QoL to be an extension of what Nintendo already does - ie the gamification of fitness to provide motivation - then making games where physical movement is the primary input is almost literally describing a fitness regime.

Top Bottom