• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unturned - DayZ-like made by 16 year old is in steam most played right now

JaztyoU.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_steam_4__110

So yeah, this game was made by one 16 year old after being inspired by Roblox. Some youtubers/streamers made videos of it and it's now in the top 10 played games on steam. It's a free to play (like actually free) zombie survival game akin to DayZ but with much simpler graphics.

Trailer;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QthD-_rrjPw

Crazy for this kid but having played it it's a pretty damn good game. Very difficult too.

red731

Saw it on Lirik's stream and it looked very interesting. Minecraft meets survival and it is free to play on top.

I might give it a shot and am wishing all the luck to that 16yo bloke!

fedexpeon

Banned
Wut?
He isn't charging this to reap the reward of his lifetime?

But dang, I actually love the pixel artstyle for a zombie game.

16 years old or not, making a product that reaches such a wide audience is an impressive feat, and the game looks pretty interesting to boot.

red731

16 years old or not, making a product that reaches such a wide audience is an impressive feat, and the game looks pretty interesting to boot.

And is propably less buggy than DayZ..Which I've bought, played for like 87hours and stopped totaly...and by that I mean that this may take some of my time.

Sarcasm

In unturned it feels like it has way more items.

Not only that you can craft, fix cars and hit zombies and people with cars. You get experience to spend on skills which reset on death. Find a cot you can set a respawn point. You can build buildings.

Not a bad game and it runs nice too. It is actually getting steam server support too.

Foshy

Mh, looks pretty interesting. Will try it!

Does it have multiplayer and/or Oculus Rift support?

EDIT: just saw it has multiplayer, that's cool

Card Boy

Banned
It looks completely functional compared to Day-Z and it's only made by a 16 year old kid? Wow. Rocket and co should be fucken embarrassed considering they have spent like 2 years plus and have more people with years of experience and they can't even get zombies to stop walkling through walls, plus they couldn't even come up with their own engine or map to boot.

edit:

just downloaded it, was 48 meg. Guy has full graphics options, FOV sliders, lean. The tutorial needs alot of work and yeah that Steam browser needs to come along because at the moment it's basically Terraria style online with IP addresses and ports.

wwm0nkey

Been playing it with friends and it is very fun actually. He is patching in Steamworks Networking right now so the only way to play online atm is tunngle.

Also just bought the gold pack to support the kid, you don't really need it....like at all lol. Really nice simple game and its a lot of fun with friends.

I do hope he adds workshop support for custom maps.

wwm0nkey

It looks completely functional compared to Day-Z and it's only made by a 16 year old kid? Wow. Rocket and co should be fucken embarrassed considering they have spent like 2 years plus and have more people with years of experience and they can't even get zombies to stop walkling through walls, plus they couldn't even come up with their own engine or map to boot.

edit:

just downloaded it, was 48 meg. Guy has full graphics options, FOV sliders, lean. The tutorial needs alot of work and yeah that Steam browser needs to come along because at the moment it's basically Terraria style online with IP addresses and ports.

Should only be a week or two for him to put it in from what he said, if you have friends that want to play just have them all get tunngle and follow this.

Kater

Banned
Looks better functioning than 40-50% of all Early Access titles from the trailer alone and it is free as well. Damn.
Take that, 7 Days to Die and all you other cheap Day Z Knock-Offs.

This looks incredibly intriguing. Away for two days on business with nothing but an old laptop. Might be a perfect time to try it out. It will help me with my Spintires withdrawal while away.

Amazing to see such young talent. The "indie" scene is the best god damn thing to hit since online co-op. I will def buy the package that supports the dev, f2p or not.

Took it for a quick 30 minute test drive and it was incredible. My first encounter, in single player, was me going into a building and scavenging for items (which in my first 30 minutes presented me with dozens) to only have my visit cut short by zombies. It was night time and there was a car parked out front, so I hopped inside, turn it on, hit the lights, and get the fuck out of there. Well not after running over a couple of the bastards in the process. It all kind of aligned in a way that didn't feel buggy. The only truly unfinished feeling is the feeling of movement and jumping, its a tad slow and has that default engine feel.

I look forward to playing more of it.

Blinck

Big props to the kid. Insane that he is doing this by himself. Wish him and the game the best.
Might try this later :)

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy crap I can't believe a single 16-year-old guy made this, that's awesome. Gamasutra should do an article on him.

ZenVolta

The games fun. Sure the idea isnt all that original but the way its handle is awesome IMO. I see more as a zombie horde game with crafting than DayZ. Just wish the game was more Co-Op focused and not about playing online with strangers(I have DayZ and Rust and alll the other games for that)

wwm0nkey

The games fun. Sure the idea isnt all that original but the way its handle is awesome IMO. I see more as a zombie horde game with crafting than DayZ. Just wish the game was more Co-Op focused and not about playing online with strangers(I have DayZ and Rust and alll the other games for that)
You can change the server to PVE to do co-op only.

Thats fine. RIght now I dont think Hosted worlds save when you shut down. Plus none of my gear(or friends gear) saves once I shut down the server. Maybe Im doing something wrong. Dunno.

Yeah it's a bit complicated and weird for MP at the moment. Hopefully he gets that steam support done ASAP

koma

This looks really interesting, i use Steam mostly for multiplayer / coop games so this one is in my watch list, i hope he can get Steamworks servers to work :O

Huge props to this 16year old kid :O

There's something really lovely about that art style in my opinion. I don't know what exactly does it for me. It's simple, but not exactly like minecraft either.

And indeed, very impressive for the guy.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
13 year olds making games about Grand Theft Pizza.

16 year olds making games about surviving zombies.

And me, the 20-something year old, just sits around eating pizza like a zombie.

Lechery

Neo Member
Great acheivement and I do hope the games does well and makes it out of early acces within 2015..

The game is an unoptimized mess though... Dropping down to sub 30 fps on a gtx770 and the options menu(and menus in general) are a complete mess as well

Top Bottom