• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kenka Bancho game coming to the 3DS

L~A

A new Kenka Bancho game was teased during today's Nintendo Direct, but other than 5s of footage, we don't have anything at all about the game.

Teaser

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I want to see images of the guy who showed it. That 30s swag :lol

Ah, for those wondering: this is the first chapter of the series ever to not being released on a Sony console. Other games have been released on PS2 and PSP (excluding the browser title, though). The last one has been Kenka Bancho Bros. : Tokyo Battle Royale, released on June 21st, 2012.

BriBri

tumblr_inline_n8jphquZVb1rmjx4g.jpg

This is very intriguing. This is a Spike Chunsoft series, and a Sony exclusive one.Maybe Nintendo is getting some extra bang for their shares in Dwango?

Though I'm a bit concerned of what becomes of their shares after Dwango's merger with Kadokawa in October.

Nintendo should attempt to trade their shares of Dwango for Spike Chunsoft entirely, IMO.

FluxWaveZ

Give it another chance? I wouldn't mind but I'm under the impression the initial K. Banchou game didn't sell well to warrant releasing the other games.

Was that so? That's unfortunate, but I really wonder if some of the other things they localize/publish do that much worse.

Their thing has been to not localize these games. They one and done the franchise with the KB3 on PSP. There was five other games in the series that they skipped.

Not too familiar with the franchise outside of Badass Rumble, but would the 3DS be a more potentially profitable platform to publish these games in North America for than the PSP was at the time?

Highlight of the Direct along with the FF Explorers footage for me. Straight out of nowhere too! Really looking forward to this one. Loved the guy who introduced it too, zero fucks given with that tie and demeanour!

Takao

Banned
Not too familiar with the franchise outside of Badass Rumble, but would the 3DS be a more potentially profitable platform to publish these games in North America for than the PSP was at the time?

Niche games tend to sell the same no matter the platform. That's why we're seeing so many Vita games come over despite the fact that no one in North America owns the machine. With that in mind, I'm not convinced a 3DS localization would automatically do a lot better than what the PSP release did. It could leave Japan, but I'd say it's more likely it won't. For Atlus USA to do only do a single game tells me it sold really poorly.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Niche games tend to sell the same no matter the platform. That's why we're seeing so many Vita games come over despite the fact that no one in North America owns the machine. With that in mind, I'm not convinced a 3DS localization would automatically do a lot better than what the PSP release did. It could leave Japan, but I'd say it's more likely it won't.

I think the real problem for the other Kenka Bancho (outside of KB3, aka Badass Rumble, released in US) is that they released when PSP in the West was already dead, software-wise. 3DS is still alive, software wise, and niche games have sold quite well on the platform (ask Atlus).

Takao

Banned
Atlus USA's last PSP game was Growlanser in 2012. KB: Badass Rumble launched three years earlier. Clearly PSP was still a viable platform for them to stick around. If BR sold well, I imagine they would have tried at least one more.

sörine

Banned
Atlus USA's last PSP game was Growlanser in 2012. KB: Badass Rumble launched three years earlier. Clearly PSP was still a viable platform for them to stick around. If BR sold well, I imagine they would have tried at least one more.
It was also a period where Atlus USA massively cut back on picking up 3rd party titles in general though. In fact KBBR was the last fully 3rd party PSP game they published at all, everything else came from their Japanese parent or Sting distribution deal. It might have been low sales but there was also a clear policy shift then too.

edit: It was the second to last actually, Metal Slug XX came a couple months after. It still released right near the end of Atlus USA's wider 3rd party period though.

-Setsuna-

...Wait, so they basically announced two titles at once? What did he actually say?
Kenka Banchō is totally unrelated.
Sonobe was just there to tease its own project: a new installment in the Derby Stallion series. He had nothing more to say or show, though (and knowing ParityBit, we're still years away from this game's release...).

So did anyone see this coming? Like I said it's interesting how they decided to bring a Sony-exclusive series to 3DS all of the sudden, when they did multiplatform development of previous exclusive games, such as:

999 DS -> Zero Escape 3DS and Vita
Conception PSP -> Vita and 3DS

This is why I wonder about those shares of Dwango having a better incentive. Makes you also wonder what other series might make the jump. I think I checked their catalog of franchises that would make the easiest transition due to specs and I think I've pinpointed Kenka Bancho as being the top candidate, as the series was on PSP but hasn't jumped to Vita yet.

A reminder of other IPs of theirs:

Shiren the Wanderer (how the hell has this not happened on 3DS post-Gates to Infinity yet?)
Shinobido
Fire Pro Wrestling
Way of the Samurai
Danganronpa

And obviously much more, like Chunsoft's visual novel games, and Spike's uber niche games, remember JAWA and Escape from Bug Island on Wii?

Danganronpa 3 3DS, boom.gif

So did anyone see this coming? Like I said it's interesting how they decided to bring a Sony-exclusive series to 3DS all of the sudden, when they did multiplatform development of previous exclusive games, such as:

999 DS -> Zero Escape 3DS and Vita
Conception PSP -> Vita and 3DS

Zero Escape and Conception II would have both been green-lighted in the first year of the Vita's life

I guess spike feel the numbers they'd get from a vita port aren't worth the porting costs.

Shizuka

Danganronpa is one that, if it'll jump ship, it'll be to go definitive for iOS/Android. The first game is already available for mobile.

So did anyone see this coming? Like I said it's interesting how they decided to bring a Sony-exclusive series to 3DS all of the sudden, when they did multiplatform development of previous exclusive games

Do we know this is exclusive yet or are you just speculating?

I know it was in a 3DS Direct, but I didn't know what the guy was saying so I was wondering whether there was a chance this could come to Vita as well.

Do we know this is exclusive yet or are you just speculating?

I know it was in a 3DS Direct, but I didn't know what the guy was saying so I was wondering whether there was a chance this could come to Vita as well.

The guy speaking wasn't related to the game, he was teasing a new Derby Stallion for 3DS. Also when has a game been unveiled for the first time in a direct ever been a multiplat game? Multiplats have been covered before, but no games that were world first in a direct have been IIRC.

The guy speaking wasn't related to the game, he was teasing a new Derby Stallion for 3DS. Also when has a game been unveiled for the first time in a direct ever been a multiplat game? Multiplats have been covered before, but no games that were world first in a direct have been IIRC.

I point you to the example that a previously-exclusive Sony series is now coming to a Nintendo console to demonstrate that there's a first time for everything ;)

(Thanks for the info about the guy speaking, didn't realise that)

Takao

Banned
Zero Escape and Conception II would have both been green-lighted in the first year of the Vita's life

I guess spike feel the numbers they'd get from a vita port aren't worth the porting costs.

[3DS] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 17,913
[PSV] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 15,454

[3DS] Conception II: Child of the Seven Stars - 5,432
[PSV] Conception II: Child of the Seven Stars - 25,218

They also sold 110k copies of the DanganRonpa PSP ports on Vita. They know there's money to be made on the platform. I don't know why they decided to switch up Kenka Bancho. The series is the kind of property that probably would've done okay on Vita. It's not really a big thing.

So Atlus must've been psychic or at least smart. Kenka Bancho is on sale for $5 on NA PSN right now! :D Just grabbed it, I was REALLY looking into it thanks to this!

Top Bottom