• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey to the West movie takes scene from Asura's Wrath verbatim (JttW spoilers)

sn00zer

SPOILERS FOR Stephen chow's 'Journey to the West'

First of all, 'Journey to the West' by Stephen Chow is a really fun, enjoyable film, and I really liked it....probably going to do a LTTP on it, because it's easily his best in years. But its finale is ripped almost shot for shot from Asura's Wrath.

Asura's Wrath

Journey to the West
idDexmpxnADs5.gif

ibhRgkvzd9f5Qy.gif

ibiaQ4kEISmaF8.gif

iqu3qDy0ZzK1A.gif

BossRush

Isn't it more likely Asura's wrath took a scene from Journey to the west the original year 1200 or so chinese story?

epmode

The links work if you quote the post and then copy/paste.

And yeah, the shots are very clearly ripped off from the game.

Krejlooc

Banned
The scene you are talking about is an extremely common trope with kung fu flicks. The scene in Asura's wrath is actually an homage to like a dozen other movies.

I now want to see Journey to the West.

Edit: These "giant object deflections" aren't all that unique. Dragonball Z did them all the time during the big battles.

BossRush

The writing or plot, maybe, but the cinematography, no.

And yeah, OP, those images are borked.

No I mean there's literally a scene in journey to the west where Sun Wukong the monkey king is being pressed by Buddha's hand, or at least his finger.

Kinyou

A Mr. Wei speaking on behalf of Chow's camp came out and said, "The plagiarizing has nothing to do with Chow and our people, the special effects and everything regarding the graphics were done by the effects company, please direct your questions towards them."
Interesting. Some lesser known CGI company saving some bucks wouldn't be that surprising. Though I'm also not sure if I'd go that far as calling it plagiarism, not sure if there's a precedent for copying cinematography.

Krejlooc

Banned
The idea may be common but the shots themselves are basically 1:1.

I couldn't get the gifs to work prior to my post, I only saw the Asura's wrath scene, but now they're working and yup, they directly ripped off the cinematography.

It's funny because the scene itself is pretty similar (albeit reversed) to a scene in Chow's own Kung Fu Hustle.

Neiteio

Wow, they really did copy the cinematography :-O

But that's OK because the scene is BADASS

Any links to this particular scene on YouTube?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Do you know the name of the Monkey king ? Sun Wunko.

Do you know he's weilding a magic staff ?

Do you know how it transcript to japanese ? Son Goku.

Do you know who else can transform into a monley and weild a magic staff ?

m622.gif

Neiteio

I take it this movie is subtitled? (Which is perfectly fine -- Pan's Labyrinth is my favorite movie ever)

How's the pacing in it? Is it nice and straightforward like Jet Li's Hero?

Available on Blu-ray, perhaps?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Now that I can see the image I don't really see anything wrong, the movie takes the best part of Asuara's Wrath and put it where it belongs.

sn00zer

I take it this movie is subtitled? (Which is perfectly fine -- Pan's Labyrinth is my favorite movie ever)

How's the pacing in it? Is it nice and straightforward like Jet Li's Hero?

Available on Blu-ray, perhaps?

Its a Stephen Chow movie...its similar to Kung Fu hustle and Shaolin Soccer

It could only be better if the Monkey turned blonde, fusion danced with another monkey, and grew four more arms, then used a magical macguffin to resurrect his dead enemy and make him his BFF

androvsky

Its a Stephen Chow movie...its similar to Kung Fu hustle and Shaolin Soccer

Yeah, more like Kung Fu Hustle than Shaolin Soccer. Slapstick humor taken just a little too far so you don't feel comfortable laughing at it any more... and it just keeps going.

The female demon hunter (can't remember her name) completely and absolutely makes the entire movie though, even if she is stuck with some lame scenes.

jph139

Wait, there's a high budget Journey to the West movie?

Sort of. It's really more of a loose prequel. Great movie though, I think it's my favorite of Chow's films (though I've only seen his really mainstream ones).

Having never played Asura's Wrath I didn't notice the overlap. Considering how common a trope it is, I could almost be convinced it was coincidental... but it looks pretty much 1:1. Someone was cutting corners that day.

The female demon hunter (can't remember her name) completely and absolutely makes the entire movie though, even if she is stuck with some lame scenes.

Shu Qi is a goddess. <3

gabbo

Sort of. It's really more of a loose prequel. Great movie though, I think it's my favorite of Chow's films (though I've only seen his really mainstream ones).

Having never played Asura's Wrath I didn't notice the overlap. Considering how common a trope it is, I could almost be convinced it was coincidental... but it looks pretty much 1:1. Someone was cutting corners that day.

Shu Qi is a goddess. <3

This is the damn truth. She's the reason I kept watching.

Sesha

I wish the effects guys would have ripped off Naruto as well. The four-tails has an awesome design.

I couldn't get the gifs to work prior to my post, I only saw the Asura's wrath scene, but now they're working and yup, they directly ripped off the cinematography.

It's funny because the scene itself is pretty similar (albeit reversed) to a scene in Chow's own Kung Fu Hustle.

God Hand has a giant buddha energy fist move as well. I wonder what the original reference for that is.

more movies should steal from asura's wrath that shit was tight

I would love to see a high budget blockbuster with digital effects by CC2.

Akainu

So you commented before you even saw the comparison?

Anyway as someone posted already china don't care.

Mechazawa

Yup, that ain't a matter of two things sharing the same influences. That's the same god damn shot. I guess can CC2 can be proud now to know that they're anime enough for someone to be stealing from them.

I saw the movie last week on Netflix and was like damn, that's pretty much Asura's Wrath right there. It's a pretty interesting take on Journey to the West, though Stephen definitely took a more I guess, more demonic? take on the legend regarding our soon to be heroes like The Monkey King, very villainous when fully shown.

Movie made me wish Stephen Chow himself was in it as a main cast, I really miss him. Him and Tat (he played the coach in Shaolin Soccer for reference if anyone isn't sure), they were always the perfect duo in his movies, they played off each other perfectly. Shame it appears they left on bad terms after Shaolin Soccer despite working together for like a decade in the majority of his films.

Riposte

No I mean there's literally a scene in journey to the west where Sun Wukong the monkey king is being pressed by Buddha's hand, or at least his finger.

IIRC, he's trapped standing on his (giant) palm and cannot escape no matter how hard he tries, not pressed down on.

Top Bottom