• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-universe character artwork in games

Loona

It's quite frequent to see things like character portraits in games, meant for the user's convenience, but occasionally there are a few depictions of them meant to portray them in-universe for the game's own characters for one reason or another - these two cases come to mind:

* Valkyrie in Xandra no Daiouken/Whirlo:

mnek_wrlo0464.png

This is an interesting case, as this game is a prequel to the Legend of Valkyrie, starring Kurino, player 2 of Valkyrie's most famous game - and Valkyrie herself is a warrior descended from the heavens, giving her a religious connotation the games don't usually focus on much - but here she's depicted in a way reminiscent of ancient religious artwork, which diverges a bit from her actual depiction in the games:

NxCValkyrie.jpg

In the actual game, she practically only appears in the ending, and is barely hinted at in the password screen:
mnek_wrlo0130.png

Which, IMO, emphasizes her elusiveness as a mythical being.
For more on that series, this is a great guide: http://www.devimension.com/dvp_doc_database/dev_docu000.html

* Samurai Shodown 2:

In Charlotte's stage, you can find this painting depicting the game's final battle, which most of its cast:
ss-charlotteversailles.gif

Apparently the painting is even a plot point in Charlotte's story in the game - I vaguely recall reading something about the painting appearing spontaneously as an omen that prompt Charlotte to travel to Japan in the game. Regardless, a cool sight and a taste of the grand finale - for comparison with the actual battle in the game:

hqdefault.jpg

Are you aware of any similar cases?

Evilisk

At one point in inFamous 1, you meet this guy that's making posters and you get to choose between two different designs that will get hung up around Empire City after that point in the game.

It was cool to see it pop up as you were passing or climbing buildings though it was weird it got tied to the Karma system (I mean I didn't feel like there was anything inherently good about the blue poster but whatever)

Hugo's stage in SF3 3rd Strike has SF3 2nd Impact Giant Attack secret file artwork in the bottom left corner. The image depicts Hugo as King Kong on the Empire State building with Elena in his hand.

Slair

Mother Sophia/Elly painting by Fei in Xenogears

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines Jeanette and Therese painting:

Code:
[IMG]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/272/4/9/wallpaper___vampire__bloodlines_by_raziel_axd-d564qps.jpg[/IMG]

ChipotIe

Banned
PvKqh8Y.jpg

Samus and Chozo from Zero Mission. I thought I remembered seeing hieroglyphics of the power suit in there but I couldn't find any evidence.

Zareka

No screenshot, but there's a portrait in Inigo's room in Ocarina of Time (3D?) that's just artwork of Link, maybe from TP/SS.

In Shining Force 2 there's girl who will paint Bowie's portrait. He is so dreamy. It's weird though, because at this point Bowie has almost certainly advanced to his promoted class, which features a new hairstyle with long golden locks... but the portrait the girl paints looks more like his old hairdo.

zgPJqCE.png

Ropaire

Banned
K4t5REp.jpg

At the time, I'd heard this picture changed depending on your choices, but I've never actually seen confirmation of that.

Top Bottom