• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action

Kayant

Sony today agreed to a $15 million preliminary settlement in a class action lawsuit over its 2011 data breach, which led to the theft of names, addresses and possibly credit card data belonging to 77 million user accounts.

"If you are responsible for so many payment card details and log-in details, then keeping that personal data secure has to be your priority," the Information Commissioner's Office's deputy commissioner David Smith said. "In this case that just didn't happen, and when the database was targeted — albeit in a determined criminal attack — the security measures in place were simply not good enough."

Today's settlement, which has yet to be approved by the judge, offers plaintiffs benefits such as free PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable games, free PS3 themes, free subscriptions to PlayStation Plus, free subscriptions to the Music Unlimited service and free SOE Station cash.

Claims made by those who didn't participate in PlayStation's "Welcome Back" package — a program in which Sony offered PSN members free games as thanks for their loyalty after the security breach — will be honored on a first-come, first-serve basis, subject to an aggregate cap of $6 million. Claimants will be able to choose two separate benefit options or two instances of one PSN benefit option.

Those who did participate in the "Welcome Back" package will be eligible to receive one game benefit, a theme benefit or a PlayStation Plus subscription benefit. Participants will also be honored on a first-come, first-serve basis to an aggregate cap of $4 million.

More here - http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/23/5931793/sony-2011-data-breach-class-action-lawsuit

Case doc - http://www.scribd.com/doc/234917930/Sony-agrees-to-15M-settlement

Cels

So, do we get any money out of this?

literally the bulk of the article:

Today's settlement, which has yet to be approved by the judge, offers plaintiffs benefits such as free PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable games, free PS3 themes, free subscriptions to PlayStation Plus, free subscriptions to the Music Unlimited service and free SOE Station cash.

Claims made by those who didn't participate in PlayStation's "Welcome Back" package — a program in which Sony offered PSN members free games as thanks for their loyalty after the security breach — will be honored on a first-come, first-serve basis, subject to an aggregate cap of $6 million. Claimants will be able to choose two separate benefit options or two instances of one PSN benefit option.

Those who did participate in the "Welcome Back" package will be eligible to receive one game benefit, a theme benefit or a PlayStation Plus subscription benefit. Participants will also be honored on a first-come, first-serve basis to an aggregate cap of $4 million.

Toki767

I think it's only 3 months of PS+ which would still give you more games than just picking between their choices.

MORE free games? I remember when they handed out Wipeout HD and such. I think it was 1 PS3 and 1 PSP game?

Watch it be the exact same choices of games, just to fuck with people. And one month Music Unlimited/one month of PS+
for new users only

Ran rp

So, do we get any money out of this?

Up to $2500 if your identity was stolen.

Kotaku said:
Anyone able to prove they had their identity stolen as a result of the hacks that caused the downtime is eligible for up to $2500.

Sony said:
4. Reimbursement of Identity Theft Losses

The Sony Entities will reimburse Settlement Class Members for claimed, documented, and unreimbursed Identity-Theft-Related-Charges, not to exceed $2,500 per claim, which are proven by the Settlement Class Member more likely than not to have directly and proximately resulted from the PSN Intrusion or the SOE Intrusion and not from any other source. SA ¶ 2.5. Valid claims under this provision are subject to an aggregate cap of $1,000,000.

“Identity
-Theft-Related-
Charges” means out
-of-pocket payments (not otherwise reimbursed) for expenses that are incurred as a direct result of someone assuming the Settlement Class
Member’s identity and taking out a line of credit, establishing and using a
new financial account, or otherwise obtaining monies and other things of value fraudulently in the name of the Settlement Class Member (other than unauthorized charges on a payment card account
associated with a Settlement Class Member’s PSN Account, Qrio
city Account or SOE Account).

3 extra months PS+ please!

I wonder if I can hit up every other website that has had my details (and "possibly" CC info) hacked at one point. Would have to be at least a dozen at this point!

ohlawd

3 extra months PS+ please!

I wonder if I can hit up every other website that has had my details (and "possibly" CC info) hacked at one point. Would have to be at least a dozen at this point!

Why aim so low? Yours is realistic but it ain't wrong to gut a company for comprising your shit.

Give me a year of play station plus for free.

Hell, I think this is too low.

I want the $2,500 cap even if the hackers didn't get anything from me.

Sometimes, man, we're too nice to corporations.

jj16802

Hopefully that list of PSP games will have Medal of Honor Heroes 2, anything from the SOCOM or Syphon Filter series's.

If it does happen I need to delete something on my Vita.

Top Bottom