• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver Acquires Homefront IP; Crytek UK closed, Deep Silver hires as new studio

Tapejara

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/30/homefront-acquired-by-deep-silver-production-of-sequel-to-conti/

Clearly tired of Crytek's "transitional phase," publisher Deep Silver's parent company has acquired the Homefront intellectual property and related assets from Crytek. Homefront: The Revolution was under production at Crytek UK, with recent reports declaring production had halted and the game's director resigned.

The game will now be completed by the newly founded Nottingham-based Deep Silver Dambuster Studio. We've followed up with Deep Silver about whether staff from Crytek UK is transitioning over and will update with any further details.

Edit: Eurogamer Says Deep Silver has "re-purposed" Crytek UK (but Schreier says this might not be the case)

Boom!

Deep Silver parent company Koch Media has bought the Homefront intellectual property from Crytek and re-purposed Homefront: The Revolution developer Crytek UK into Deep Silver Dambuster Studios.

Source (Eurogamer)

Edit 2: Former Homefront: The Revolution Director who left Crytek UK recently is heading up the new studio.

I am still trying to figure out exactly how many Crytek UK people are moving, or whether it's all of them, or what.

I do know that Hasit Zala, who was the director on Homefront: The Revolution and left Crytek UK a few weeks ago, is heading up this studio.

Silky

Banned
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/30/homefront-acquired-by-deep-silver-production-of-sequel-to-conti/

"We strongly believe in the potential of Homefront: The Revolution and trust in the new team to continue the path they have been walking in the last years," said Deep Silver CEO Dr. Klemens Kundratitz.

The game will now be completed by the newly founded Nottingham-based Deep Silver Dambuster Studio. We've followed up with Deep Silver about whether staff from Crytek UK is transitioning over and will update with any further details.

Press release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Koch Media Acquires Homefront® IP – New Development Studio Founded
Nottingham-based Deep Silver Dambuster Studios to take over development of Homefront: The Revolution

Larkspur, Calif., July 30, 2014 – Today, Koch Media together with its publishing label Deep Silver announces that it has acquired the Homefront® brand and all coherent assets from Crytek. This includes Homefront: The Revolution which was previously announced on June 2nd, 2014. The development will be continued in newly founded, Nottingham-based Deep Silver Dambuster Studios.

“We are thrilled to see another great IP joining the Deep Silver universe,” says Dr. Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Koch Media Group. “We strongly believe in the potential of Homefront: The Revolution and trust in the new team to continue the path they have been walking in the last years.”

Deep Silver Dambuster Studios is the third development studio within the Koch Media Group, joining Deep Silver Volition and Deep Silver Fishlabs.

Silky

Banned
Damn, thread beaten by a minute.
KuGsj.gif

Shame that they couldn't pick up Crytek UK, but it is what it is.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Great to hear. I helped with community on the first one and visited KAOS a few years back in NYC. The game itself had issues, but the MP was quite fun.

Hopefully DS can make this thing rock.

The real question is why does anyone want to continue the Homefront IP? Its mostly only remembered as "that game that tried to take on CoD and failed".

The Homefront "universe" has seemingly nothing good to offer.

Oh wow...Crytek must really be in trouble if they're selling off their IPs.

Is Crytek UK going to be shutdown?

If Crytek are selling off their IPs, then Ryse will be going to MS... or they flogged off Homefront because they think it has less value than their other IPs.

I wonder if this sale is the influx of cash they mentioned?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So we can expect Deep Silver to fold within two or three years then? HOMEFRONT IS CURRRRRSED

Means someone else will pick up Volition and Saints Row, I guess. :(

brickwalker0 said:
The real question is why does anyone want to continue the Homefront IP? Its mostly only remembered as "that game that tried to take on CoD and failed".

Because they're trying to get in on that "occupy" trope that doesn't resonate with anyone outside of like... 70-80's kids watching "Red Dawn," not the horrible remake the original. And that wasn't even good at the time either. :/

Great news, hope everything continues as scheduled now. The footage at E3 looked very promising. An open world resistance game on Cryengine? Sign me up.

While I agree with you, didn't it sell pretty well? I recall hearing something around like 5 million.

Krilekk

Banned
This game. That's the third developer, meanwhile it still sits at the top of the Xbox One Store, mocking us while probably not coming out for another year.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Some people think a name that's recognizable is better than one that isn't, no matter what.

I don't agree.

I think this sentiment is shared by a lot of people. Homefront wasn't even a moderate hit by any means, so I have no idea why studios are treating it like some golden goose egg.

While I agree with you, didn't it sell pretty well? I recall hearing something around like 5 million.

More like 1 million

I preferred the multiplayer in Homefront to that in both Call of Duty & several of the Battlefield games.

V_Ben

Banned
Crytek UK is in Nottingham. I wonder if they bought the studio or are just poaching staff.

It'll be the latter, as key people slowly trickle out of Crytek UK and over to Dambuster.

I mean, the name is... sort of a hint, right? A construction to stop the tide?

Rosur

Crytek can pay their employees now.

Good for Deep Silver.... Homefront is a good IP.

Let just hope they carry on with the game rather than start from scratch. As I liked the idea that Crytek was going with.

Also lets hope that Deep Silver doesn't now run into issues like THQ and Crytek...

Top Bottom