• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does this mean for Darksiders 3?

sn00zer

-Crytek Austin has shutdown, which was for all intents and purposes the programming and design developers of Vigil games, many of the artistic leads had left Vigil before it became Crytek Austin
-Nordic Games is either in active production or at least planning for Darksiders 3, whether or not this is a full fledged videogame is still up in the air
-Confirmed by Joe Mad 'Darksiders is not dead'
-Nordic games have at the very least been in contact with Crytek Austin before their closure and during the development of The Hunt

In a perfect world Nordic hires all of the Crytek USA guys and gives them millions of dollars and their work on The Hunt has perfectly prepared them to make a 4 player coop Darksiders, which will be probably the first action adventure coop Zelda-like and it will be beautiful and there will be rainbows in the sky and unicorns in the street and it will make babies stop crying and the world will be perfect.

So what does the closure of Crytek Austin mean? Hopefully these guys rise up once again, because fuck it, Darksiders was an amazing series and its obvious a lot of heart went into it on all fronts. These guys are obviously passionate and hopefully this hasnt dissuaded them from picking up the torch again.

Good luck ex Vigil and Crytek guys, utmost respect for you guys, Darksiders was awesome and The Hunt looks like good fun.

MattyG

Banned
Oh my god, I hope it means that DS3 has a chance of happening with a majority of the original Vigil guys. We need to see Fury and Strife's stories. #believe.

MattyG

Banned
There is no Darksiders 3.
dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

MattyG

Banned
I'm actually less concerned with whether or not it happens, and more concerned with what quality it will be IF it releases. I know Nordic isn't going to develop it internally, but I have to wonder if there will be budget constraints that will make it not up to par with what we expect. Then again, I know little to nothing about Nordic, so they could have the funds to make it a huge triple A game for all I know.

tumblr_lze7l5Sk0b1qbdxog.gif

Matty, you can't. I am an enormous Darksiders fan, but we have to move on.
Nooooo, it's too soon! They just need more time! Right? RIGHT?!

The dream is probably dead. RIP in pieces.

Jackano

I don't think Nordic have something to do with the recent events at Crytek, but like they said they havn't bought DS for doing nothing, and they will seek for the right studio to do it. Preferably with a few people of the OG DS team, but that will not be easy. Likely this will happen when everyone will have forgot about DS, in a gen or two.

Sitris

That sucks, I never got a chance to play the second one. Nintendo we need you to save another title
I would jump on the Wii U bandwagon if they saved Darksiders 3! As well as the wealth of other interesting titles they have going for them.

OT: Sad times for the teams at Crytek Austin and ex Vigil team members. I hope you all get jobs elsewhere, if Nordic games picks you up that would be an absolute dream. Darksiders 1/2 were phenomenal, and 3 has so much potential.

KePoW

Banned
I like Darksiders and Joe Mad a lot, but I don't think there will be anymore.

Also didn't most of Vigil employees go to Bioware Austin?

BouncyFrag

I just want that game to pick up from the end of the first one. Such a great cliffhanger ending and I usually don't like those.

Banned
This is just reads as Nintendo publishing another title that was doomed to be cancelled and getting it exclusive.

I still think we will get Darksiders 3 this gen, maybe later in the gen.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Man, they used the good horsemen already. Who wants to play as Pestilence or Famine?

Still, sad to hear that it's (more or less) official now.

nbthedude

Dark Siders 2 ruined my interest in the series. I loved the first game and was excited for the sequel but I tried multiple times to give it a chance and finally gave up about 12 hours in.

It's a game with a good combat system basically ruined by McGuffin quests and design that lost track of the sense of scope.

It was the biggest narrative turn around I've seen from the end of the first game making you go "Fuck yes, I can't wait to see what happens next!" to two hours into the sequel going "I'm going where to do what now?"

Man, they used the good horsemen already. Who wants to play as Pestilence or Famine?

Still, sad to hear that it's (more or less) official now.

They actually ditched those guys for pretty much that exact reason. The 4 Darksiders horsemen are War, Death, Strife, and Fury.

Anyway, hoping that they finally make a Darksiders 3, but I doubt the Crytek meltdown will have much impact on it. Nordic's just too small to set up their own in-house right now.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The other two horsemen are Fury and Strife.

They actually ditched those guys for pretty much that exact reason. The 4 Darksiders horsemen are War, Death, Strife, and Fury.

Anyway, hoping that they finally make a Darksiders 3, but I doubt the Crytek meltdown will have much impact on it. Nordic's just too small to set up their own in-house right now.

Whoops my bad. Bought both games but haven't played them yet.

Teeth

If it ever comes back, it's unlikely to look much like the previous two (aside from the art style).

Too expensive, too niche, too lofty the fan expectations.

What I would love to see, and what I think would actually be financially feasible, is a 2D Link-To-The-Past-like available on everything. It'd make the most of the Joe Mad art style and allow a much lower dev cost.

But it'll never happen. Like DS3.

ArjanN

Will Darksiders 3 become the new Shenmue 3?

No because Darksiders 3 will very likely happen.

Not sure why some people here think it's some impossible thing, given how vocal Nordic have been about their plans, and actively spent money on the license. The Shenmue games were huge moneysinks, so it's unlikely any of the money people are ever going to greenlight another sequel for that, even if Yu Suzuki wants to do one.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So let me get this straight. Nordic now owns the Darksiders IP, right? So, do they need Crytek Austin to actually develop it or just the developers who left Crytek Austin? I kept hearing that Darksiders 3 was almost a definite and it sounded like they were going to announce something 'soon' but I take it CA shutting down makes that less of a possibility now?

Top Bottom