• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel joins indie outfit Wild Sheep Studio; still at Ubi

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Posted on behalf of Miruhoggu:

I'm gonna bring this topic back from the dead but Michel is joining a new indie team : http://www.gamekult.com/actu/michel-ancel-rejoint-un-nouveau-studio-A136145.html

Official annoucement below.

Michel Ancel is involved in a new independent company called Wild Sheep Studio

Montpellier, the 30th July 2014

In addition to his role at Ubisoft, Michel ANCEL, creator of Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil, is involved in a new independent videogame studio, along with a team of experienced developers. Together they are working on an original game, further details to be announced soon.

(Emphasis mine.)

FoneBone

The article is unclear as to what his level of involvement with Wild Sheep is - actually a part of the dev team, or just consulting in some capacity?

Ballthyrm

They are working with the sony independant developper intiative , they have been funding a lot of studio lately.

Shiggy

He started to work there a year ago when rumours emerged that he left Ubi. At this point, BG&E2 is as dead as it was when it was shelved in 2009.

SentryDown

The press release states that he's "involved", there isn't anything clear.

Also on the photo we can see that Cristophe Héral who composed Rayman Origins music is also there (the guy with the glasses in the back)

wildsheepteam.jpg

My money is on him leaving Ubisoft some time in the near future then. They've been dicking him up the arse for a while now with his games, putting his team through hell on Rayman Legends, constantly kicking Beyond Good And Evil 2 to the curb, let alone not giving him anything original to work on since... well, the original BG&E.

Him leaving Ubisfot would actually be quite wonderful. I absolutely love the Rayman series (particularly 2), but the dude is far too creative to be chained to the same two franchises for all eternity. If he's already working outside Ubiisoft with another developer, I can only imagine he's already checked the Ubi building for exit routes. If nothing else, I can't imagine they'd be too thrilled at him pulling double duty with another studio either.

C'mon Ancel. Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump!

sjay1994

Like how Mega Man legend 3 was alive when Inafune left Capcom? Yeaah I don't think it will see the light of day, beside the main character is a female Ubisoft think female are expensive to make.

This ubisoft won't make females because they are expensive is the most broken telephone bullshit I have seen in a while.

SentryDown

My money is on him leaving Ubisoft some time in the near future then. They've been dicking him up the arse for a while now with his games, putting his team through hell on Rayman Legends, constantly kicking Beyond Good And Evil 2 to the curb, let alone not giving him anything original to work on since... well, the original BG&E.

Him leaving Ubisfot would actually be quite wonderful. I absolutely love the Rayman series (particularly 2), but the dude is far too creative to be chained to the same two franchises for all eternity. If he's already working outside Ubiisoft with another developer, I can only imagine he's already checked the Ubi building for exit routes. If nothing else, I can't imagine they'd be too thrilled at him pulling double duty with another studio either.

Not many people in the industry had the opportunity to have their own team to manage and funds to create a new IP at the age of 20. He should totally be grateful to Ubisoft for that.

Not many people in the industry had the opportunity to have their own team to manage and funds to create a new IP at the age of 20. He should totally be grateful to Ubisoft for that.

He should be grateful to Ubisoft for something they did for him back in the Nineties?

wrowa

Somehow I don't think he'll be at Ubi for long... Seems like a PR thing.

Yeah, you can't work to full-extent at two companies at once. Well, you can, but it usually doesn't work out over an extended period of time.

If Ancel leaves Ubisoft for good... Well, I can't say I'd be particularly sad, honestly. He's an incredibly talented guy and he's not really doing a lot with his talent at Ubisoft currently.

SentryDown

He should be grateful to Ubisoft for something they did for him back in the Nineties?

And a few other things, like Beyond Good & Evil, his creativity freedom... He can do whatever he wants now but it's incorrect to say that he's the Ubisoft toy and they are doing what they want with him (also because you don't know what really happens there)

Zalman

Nailed it.

The industry was drastically different in 1994, Ancel was hardly a unique case, though yes he was quite on his game to get into the industry so early. If anything Ubi OWE him because without the original Rayman, Ubi Soft wouldn't be the software juggernaut it is today.

Ancel's might of been given his break at Ubi - but this is like saying I should stay in my checkout job because the store was the first company to give me a job. No, loyality only goes so far in business. If you feel it's holding you back or the environment there doesn't work for you anymore, it's time to go. There's little reward for staying the course with one company bar whatever long term scheme they have for such things.

I'm surprised really that Ancel stayed as long as he did without venturing away from Ubi, he's been messed about for years (like how Raving Rabbids became a minigame instead of a proper Rayman, the executive messing about about that resulted in Origins having NOTHING to do with it's title, the Rayman Legends mess + Beyond Good and Evil being bounced about)

I hope this does allow him to break free, as I reckon Ancel's got some great concepts that he can't currently execute at Ubi

SentryDown

Well, I may have been misunterstood. I just said it's not like he has been forced to do anything and that Ubi mistreated him, he had incredible opportunities with them and if he's still there he probably has good reasons to stay.

Well, I may have been misunterstood. I just said it's not like he has been forced to do anything and that Ubi mistreated him, he had incredible opportunities with them and if he's still there he probably has good reasons to stay.

Under Ubisoft management, he has been forced to do a great many things by executives, including the last minute notification that Legends was delayed and he now had to make it a multiplat game, the forced cancellation of BG&E2, the turning of what was going to be a proper Rayman game into Rabbids...

Lijik

Very interested to see what he does. Its kind of funny that Ancel jumping ship for an indie team was the exact rumor before Rayman Origins but now its mostly true

Edit- i think people overestimate just how traditional Raving Rabbids was before becoming a party game. A lot of what they showed in footage prior to the change has clear analogues to minigames in the final product. If I had to guess, the minigames were the most polished part so they cut it down to that to have a game for launch.

My kickstarter funds are ready!

Is it just me, or does it seem a bit shady to anyone else that Ubi would be ok with their developers potentially developing games that could compete with theirs? My cynical mind says that this is some sort of ploy from Ubi to get some "indie good will" thrown their way by means of an established developer who they are secretly funding and masquerading as indie. It has been exposed in the past that some publishers have tried to do this sort of thing in before

It just doesn't make sense that this guy could stay at Ubi and yet open some indie dev studio on the side. Color me skeptical but I think this is publisher trying to get some free money to make their games using a big name as a mask. Just like in that Kotaku article.

I expect they will announce a Kickstarter soon, too.

Spineker

Banned
Ancel is exactly the sort of developer that shouldn't be shackled to a big publisher. Lets hope he takes the license to B G&E with him when he leaves.

Lijik

Ancel is exactly the sort of developer that shouldn't be shackled to a big publisher. Lets hope he takes the license to B G&E with him when he leaves.

Given what they pulled with Patrice Desilets, its more likely Ubi acquires the indie studio and cancel Ancels project than give Ancel his old ips.

SentryDown

Quick update :

0258dab52b.png

Christophe Héral (Rayman Origins & Legends, BGE composer) says that Michel is still at Ubisoft to realize a project dear to his (their) heart

UrbanRats

Good.
It was clear BG&E2 was never going to happen, since they probably couldn't tie it in with all their other franchises or force in some sort of multiplayer bullshit.

TimmiT

Good.
It was clear BG&E2 was never going to happen, since they probably couldn't tie it in with all their other franchises or force in some sort of multiplayer bullshit.

Actually:
When pressed for comment about this in light of recent events, Ubisoft confirmed to Eurogamer that the Rayman creator is in fact working on a Beyond Good & Evil sequel. Here's the exact statement the publisher offered on the matter:

"In many ways, BG&E is an inimitable game - it appeals to all generations of gamers and is an inspiration behind many of Ubisoft Montpellier's past and future games. It's still far too early to give many details about this new title, but what we can say is that while Michel and the team at Ubisoft Montpellier are working with the core tenets of BG&E, they're developing something that aspires to push past the boundaries of a proverbial sequel and leverages next-gen technologies to deliver a truly surprising, innovative and exceptional game. The entire team is excited about the direction this extremely ambitious project is taking, and we'll have more to share later, as it progresses."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-new-studio-but-remains-at-ubisoft-part-time

Quick update :

0258dab52b.png

Christophe Héral (Rayman Origins & Legends, BGE composer) says that Michel is still at Ubisoft to realize a project dear to his (their) heart

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if that project were BG&E2 and he's simply staying with Ubisoft Monpellier until it is completed.

Nobody wants BG&E2 to happen more than Michel Ancel. If it's a possibility, he'll stay with Ubisoft as long as it takes to get the job done. If he bounces, we can only assume that it was completely dead in the water.

Regardless of the outcome, I anxiously await the next game he's involved in. He's one of the best directors in the industry.

Top Bottom