• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: Much Ado About Wrenches; or Fun Facts About Jack

Before Naughty Dog and The Last of Us broke new grounds on interactive storytelling, we had Irrational Games and BioShock. I study BioShock on a scholarly level and have thus assembled an encyclopedic knowledge of its content. There is so much that can be said about BioShock's text, but for my first thread on GAF I thought I would share some trivia. There are no spoilers in the OP.

..::The Pipe Wrench::..

ZI1tWO.jpg

"Now, would you kindly find a crowbar or something?" -Atlas

BioShock's pitch documents detail the ambition to be "the next Halo or Half-Life," and Irrational's attempt to mimic the iconography of the latter's melee crowbar is not subtle. "Ha ha," thinks the player, "that's a reference to Half-Life." But why a wrench? Because in System Shock 2 the first weapon you acquire is a wrench. That's the only reason. /endthread, right?

Wrong.

"The original Stillson pipe wrench design is described by patent #95,744, issued to Daniel Stillson in 1869 and arguably one of the most famous tool patents of all time. The Stillson pipe wrench was highly successful for its maker (Walworth) and generated a small fortune in royalties for the inventor, a fact that probably encouraged generations of later inventors to develop their ideas." -Alloy Artifacts, History of the Pexto Pipe Wrench

The pipe wrench, as it turns out, is an invention conceived by a single man whose patent of the concept made him very wealthy. His success inspired and encouraged subsequent inventors to follow his model. Stillson's idea changed plumbing forever and he collected royalties from its sale his entire life. Further, his invention completely outmoded all the other tools used prior to his prototype. We still use the pipe wrench, virtually unchanged, to this day. Stillson "built a better mouse trap" and it made him rich. This is the Randian dream come true.

The pipe wrench, intentional or not, is a symbol. It represents Rapture, the self-made man, and the capitalist ideology the city is built upon. It is a trophy of "the idea" and a person's right to benefit (profit) from their intellectual property. In Jack's hand is Stillson's legacy. With this context, the wrench represents the entire fall of Rapture.

The wrench is a metaphor for libertarian capitalism: the force that built Rapture and then destroyed it. It's a tool that made a man with a good idea and a knack for business very successful, but unregulated in the wrong hands it becomes and instrument of war. Jack's violence with the wrench is a parallel to the destructive misuse of Andrew Ryan's ideology. You are employing an emblem of what Rapture once symbolized and using this symbol to tear it down from the inside out. When properly upgraded the wrench is the most powerful weapon in the game - another detail that only deepens the metaphor. There is no weapon more dangerous than economics. In the right hands it is progressive, in the wrong hands it is destructive.

..::Jack's Sweater::..

Now for something lighter.

Jack was intentionally designed to be as generic as possible to serve the narrative and his lack of characterization is paradoxically the most important part of his character. Jack's generic white sweater though, as it turns out, is not a generic white sweater at all. It's very specifically an undyed cream-color Aran jumper sweater made from unscoured sheep's wool. The design and texture of the wool makes these sweaters water resistant and therefore wearable and functional at sea. The Irish designs were usually very intricate and used common Gaelic braid patterns, patterns that also happen to resemble chains. Edit: Including ONE spoiler:
the sheep's wool and braided chains, which are also double helixes, are a reference to bioscience and the nature of Jack's creation.

This thread can also double as an AMA regarding any textual interpretations of BioShock. Ludonarrative dissonance? There is none. Feel like the post-twist game is extraneous? It isn't. Think the final boss fight is really bad? It totally is. It sucks. Test my BioShock expertise, if you like. Or just enjoy the fun facts above.

I will answer every question as my availability to do so allows.

Nice write up, OP. I can't think of any specific Bioshock questions off the top of my head, but I'll stick around to read more. I adore this game.

I guess I'll ask this, how does this game compare/contrast to Bioshock Infinite, in your eyes? I found the first one more enjoyable than the second one, but they are fairly different games striving for different goals.

How would you compare this game to ET for the Atari?
Booooo

Wouldn't libertarians hate a state-granted patent monopoly?

Libertarians are generally also fervent capitalists. Capitalism is founded on ownership and profit-generation on your ideas. Libertarians are all about defining yourself with the success and reach of the perpetuation of your identity and ideas. Patents establish ownership.

Nice write up, OP. I can't think of any specific Bioshock questions off the top of my head, but I'll stick around to read more. I adore this game.

I guess I'll ask this, how does this game compare/contrast to Bioshock Infinite, in your eyes? I found the first one more enjoyable than the second one, but they are fairly different games striving for different goals.

BioShock 2 has refined gameplay but its narrative is really just a footnote to everything that is BioShock. It's not a piece of literature like BioShock is, but is definitely a good game that is fun to play and serves as a great reason to see more of Rapture.

BioShock Infinite would be better if it wasn't branded as a BioShock game. I view them very separately and distinctly - separate texts that intertwine but also can be viewed independently. Infinite is nothing that BioShock is, which I think works for it, but is also a much more shallow experience.

That said, Infinite has its own merits that I think people don't think on as much because it's very hard not to compare it to BioShock. Infinite is about gender-perception, role reversal, jingoism and gun control. BioShock is an ethical examination of a very wide variety of politics and mindsets.

Woah. That's pretty freaking awesome.
Are there any things like this with BioShock Infinite?

Potentially. I believe the reason the game is so gun-heavy is because its a statement on gun control.

Cool thread.

Is there anything significant about the selection of plasmids or anything interesting about a specific plasmid by itself?

h#shdem0n

Depending on the success of this thread I intend to make another: the only way to win BioShock; and the only way to lose.

Are these your first attempts to communicate your critique in an organized (written) manner?

That's all I'm asking for, an old essay or something on Bioshock.

Do you feel like the Bioshock Infinite DLC destroyed the story of the Bioshocks? or did it add to the story?

I think BioShock is such a strong text because it takes place in our universe. The game loses some impact and some realism when it is retconned into the Infinite Universe because it puts a barrier between the world of Rapture and the world of the player. The Burial at Sea DLC, in its conclusion, erases any and all presence of Infinite in the Rapture timeline. So I don't think it ultimately hurts the story. Infinite becomes optional.

Cool thread.

Is there anything significant about the selection of plasmids or anything interesting about a specific plasmid by itself?

The only interesting thing about Plasmids is that there is no market control on their creation and production. They all have a marketed intention: light a fireplace, lift heavy objects, become athletic. But without a regulation system they aren't used as intended and there is no accountability for side effects. This is a real-world concern with the production of all kinds of medicine in the United States, because privatized medicine is often fast-tracked without sufficient testing and has adverse effects on its consumers. This is currently a problem with HPV vaccines.

Are these your first attempts to communicate your critique in an organized (written) manner?

That's all I'm asking for, an old essay or something on Bioshock.

I have printed essays from my college career I could transcribe into a thread. But I would prefer to re-write them conversationally. Writing within the framework of a curriculum is not as organic as sharing my thoughts and feelings for the sake of the discussion as opposed to the grade. I value the academic experience for the prompts and the angles that I was able to study the game, but it's easier to discuss freely or form an original essay.

For example, an ten page essay on how Big Daddies and Little Sisters serve as an evolution of JG Ballard's "time + technology = sex" is was written to get a grade from a professor. I would shorten and reform that essay to share with general enthusiasts.

Edit: Apologies for the double post.

tornjaw

I have printed essays from my college career I could transcribe into a thread. But I would prefer to re-write them conversationally. Writing within the framework of a curriculum is not as organic as sharing my thoughts and feelings for the sake of the discussion as opposed to the grade. I value the academic experience for the prompts and the angles that I was able to study the game, but it's easier to discuss freely or form an original essay.

For example, an ten page essay on how Big Daddies and Little Sisters serve as an evolution of JG Ballard's "time + technology = sex" is was written to get a grade from a professor. I would shorten and reform that essay to share with general enthusiasts.

Please do.

Question:
What was Frank Fontaine's ultimate goal? We find out that he manipulates you through the entire game just to kill Andrew Ryan, but, Rapture is already lost though. Wouldn't it be like someone trying to take control of Chernobyl post radiation-leak?

Why did that one guy wear a bunny mask?

Because:
"The Wild Bunny by Sander Cohen: I want to take the ears off, but I can't. I hop, and when I hop, I never get off the ground. It's my curse, my eternal curse! I want to take the ears off but I can't! It's my curse! It's my fucking curse! I want to take the ears off! Please! Take them off! Please!"

Sander Cohen was the toast of Broadway but believed in Andrew Ryan. So he left the surface, and his promising career to become the premiere artist of Rapture. As Rapture fell and he realized he squandered his chance at infinite stardom and fame, and that there was nobody left in Rapture to perform for, he lost his mind. The rabbit mask - as Atlas suggests - hides the shame of splicers who remember who they were before. For Sander Cohen, the mask (and the ability to "take them off") represents the degradation of his career and artistry. The "hopping" where he never gets off the ground represents his continued attempts to make a name for himself as an artist and find an audience, but he can never progress in Rapture how he did on Broadway. He wants to go back, to take the ears off, but he can't. His career and any opportunity he had as an artist fell victim to Andrew Ryan's broken promises.

Question:
What was Frank Fontaine's ultimate goal? We find out that he manipulates you through the entire game just to kill Andrew Ryan, but, Rapture is already lost though. Wouldn't it be like someone trying to take control of Chernobyl post radiation-leak?

When it's clear there is nothing in Rapture left for him to plunder, he wants to take Plasmids and Adam to the surface. Rapture is full of very valuable ideas and technology. While his original plan was to take control of the city, a plan that is only finally failing while you are playing, he wants to take you and the Adam topside for another shot at fortune.

h#shdem0n

So you don't have digital versions anymore? If you did, I'd appreciate a copy and pasted PM. If you would have to transcribe it... yea that's a lot of work (although I would take scans). Personally I would rather read a structured argument before attempting to contribute to this thread.

Malmorian

Wow, great thread OP!

Huge Bioshock fan, and though I don't have any questions at the moment, I do look forward to keeping pace in here!

This is really damn clever foreshadowing.

Yeah, if I had noticed that, the twist that
most of Bioshock takes place underwater
would haven been incredibly obvious. It's crazy that they foreshadowed it that early in the game.

So you don't have digital versions anymore? If you did, I'd appreciate a copy and pasted PM. If you would have to transcribe it... yea that's a lot of work (although I would take scans). Personally I would rather read a structured argument before attempting to contribute to this thread.

I have a different laptop than I did when I wrote the bulk of the essays in my first three years of school. I don't have digital versions on hand. Although there may be some archived in my e-mail. I really appreciate your interest and I'll see what I might be able to find for you. When I wrote a lot of the essays I was doing it for the grade and the assignment and didn't realize how deep into the game I was getting. It was sort of an accident I didn't appreciate until I could discuss the game off the cuff so academically.

Why don't you have a Bioshock-inspired avatar? That is bothering me greatly.

Because the Elite Beat Agents are at your service.

would haven been incredibly obvious. It's crazy that they foreshadowed it that early in the game.

Fun Fact: In the original play testing of the game play testers commented that they weren't even aware the game was under water. They presumably thought they were in the lighthouse.

Altazor

I think BioShock is such a strong text because it takes place in our universe. The game loses some impact and some realism when it is retconned into the Infinite Universe because it puts a barrier between the world of Rapture and the world of the player. The Burial at Sea DLC, in its conclusion, erases any and all presence of Infinite in the Rapture timeline. So I don't think it ultimately hurts the story. Infinite becomes optional.

Don't you think that (the Burial at Sea 2 ending) devalues Infinite's story/lore/worldbuilding/characters? In a way, BS had a certain narrative completeness within the boundaries of its own game - BS2 served like a footnote or an afterthought (with refined gameplay, something that's very appreciated) so Burial at Sea taking place in Rapture and [spoilers for Burial at Sea]
shoehorning Elizabeth and Booker in Rapture's story and making her integral to the first Bioshock feels, to me, like a bad retcon and a unnecessary ugly ending for a strong character (Elizabeth) - her own story served only to be the catalyst for a non-entity (Jack) to begin his own quest

Or maybe I'm pissed because I liked Infinite's main characters more than Jack, even though I far prefer Rapture (and almost everything that surrounds it) to Columbia.

Great thread! I'm subscribing.

Fisty

About the sweater,
being sheeps wool and the double helix weaving are nods to cloning. Im assuming you caught that but didnt want spoilers in your OP

Toxi

Banned
The foreshadowing is
Jack was intended to go to Rapture, not to the plane's destination.

About the sweater,
being sheeps wool and the double helix weaving are nods to cloning. Im assuming you caught that but didnt want spoilers in your OP

You are correct. In hindsight though I should have just put it in a spoiler tag. I'll probably update it with one.

I have to go to work for a few hours and my replies will be shorter. But I will still return and answer questions as I am able.

Brakke

Banned
Scholars don't tag spoilers.

Run down the plasmids. Are any of them thematically relevant, or are they just cool magick, designed to be cool.

Thank you very much for sharing this kind of thing. I think that the ways BioShock or Metroid tells their stories is the way Videogames should do it: through gameplay, not cinematics. That's why I'm also glad to see that MGS is going that way too. It already experimented with Filmic storytelling, now it's time to do Videogame storytelling.

Anyway, apart from that, it is really great to study this kind of games at this level. It is also something that I would like to do in some years from now, there is just so much to study from a society perspective.

I would love to read some of your essays.

Also, a question: Is there anything you want to share on the subject of the golf thing with Andrew Ryan?

Cheers!

I'm a huge fan of Bioshock as well. I think the way the first game melds gameplay and narrative is a high point of video games are capable of and more games should strive to reach that level of cohesion. I've played it countless times now and written quite a bit about it myself. I'm looking forward to whatever other tidbits you can share with us and the discussions they welcome.

Finale Fireworker said:
Fun Fact: In the original play testing of the game play testers commented that they weren't even aware the game was under water. They presumably thought they were in the lighthouse.
Hah, that's awesome. I wonder if that's why they added that awesome opening sequence? Also, like pretty much everyone here, I'd love to see more of this stuff. Also, I'm totally jealous. I wish I could have spent the first three years of college writing about videogames.

Fjordson

Wow, good stuff OP.

BioShock is definitely one of my favourite games of all time. I can't think of any specific questions at the moment, but I love little details like the ones in your post. The game is just filled with them.

Fisty

Scholars don't tag spoilers.

Run down the plasmids. Are any of them thematically relevant, or are they just cool magick, designed to be cool.

I used spoiler tags in a few scholarly assignments. My topics were a bit off the beaten path and a few profs appreciated it

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Because:

Sander Cohen was the toast of Broadway but believed in Andrew Ryan. So he left the surface, and his promising career, to become the premiere artist of Rapture. As Rapture fell and he realized he squandered his chance at infinite stardom and fame, and that there was nobody left in Rapture to perform for, he lost his mind. The rabbit mask - as Atlas suggests - hides the shame of splicers who remember who they were before. For Sander Cohen, the mask (and the ability to "take them off") represents the degradation of his career and artistry. The "hopping" where he never gets off the ground represents his continued attempts to make a name for himself as an artist and find an audience, but he can never progress in Rapture how he did on Broadway. He wants to go back, to take the ears off, but he can't. His career and any opportunity he had as an artist fell victim to Andrew Ryan's broken promises.

*bow*

Thanks! That's really interesting and I don't remember any of that from my play though.

How/why did you become so interested in BioShock in the first place?

Top Bottom