• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES series - "The Return of the King"

Haven't played the demo yet but from the countless gameplay videos I've seen, it looks like they've sacrificed the bits I love about the previous PES (weighty, realistic animations that doesn't compromise on pace) to faster, more responsive controls. Animation transitions are too fast now :(

Try the demo, the weight is still there. Similar to last year where the vids made it seem faster when its really not. Depending on your preference (If you like FIFA or not) it will either come across as playing through mud or methodical/realistic.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just played FIFA 15 demo.

Much easier to score.

Anyone here use Advanced Shoot controls? Thoughts?

It still suffers from the same problem as the first implementation. Namely that it takes an extra second to shoot and direct properly. However, the difficulty level doesn't scale with the control scheme which it really needs to. You need the extra half second on the edge of the box to time the animation and direction correctly (in my opinion anyway).

I also find the directional arrows really strange but that could be subjective. As a guide these are the directions you need to press the thumbstick for each goal direction. When you get it right like Ronaldo flicking one in the top left corner it's immense but it sort of fights with my brain to get the direction, power and everything lined up.....

fTQcOHe.png

Returners

It still suffers from the same problem as the first implementation. Namely that it takes an extra second to shoot and direct properly. However, the difficulty level doesn't scale with the control scheme which it really needs to. You need the extra half second on the edge of the box to time the animation and direction correctly (in my opinion anyway).

I also find the directional arrows really strange but that could be subjective. As a guide these are the directions you need to press the thumbstick for each goal direction. When you get it right like Ronaldo flicking one in the top left corner it's immense but it sort of fights with my brain to get the direction, power and everything lined up.....

fTQcOHe.png

So the basic shooting controls don't take into account left stick direction?!

cormack12

Gold Member
So the basic shooting controls don't take into account left stick direction?!

No, they do but it's basic. So from memory there were power ratings that adapted whether you were in the box or out the box. It's difficult to gauge properly as they haven't included training mode in the demo to properly try out the shooting. But basically point towards goal and shoot is basic, then things like strong foot, weak foot, angle, speed of movement, length of button press all affect the shot type.

I remember advanced being a good idea when it first came out, it just needed to adapt the AI a little to compensate. Like I said I also struggle pressing away from the goal when shooting to keep the ball low.

Dunkers92

Tried the demo last night. Really damn impressed with it. It is so much fun to play. Much more impressed than I was with the FIFA demo.

Will definitely be picking PES up now. So happy that they are on the right track.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have played about 15 games in the demo and every game has been different, and I have scored so many different types of goals. shutupandtakemymoney.gif

What passing control setting are you guys using?

I have it set to 3 (which should be a sweet spot for most players), but that's after a year of slumming it with Fifa. I will probably turn it down further after a month or two of the full game.

robertoci

Just played the demo and i'm mightily impressed by the game play, can't put my finger on it but it just feels soooooo smooth, gonna get this along with Fifa 15 as I always enjoy them for separate things, PES for offline stuff and Fifa for online, looking forward to getting it!

Boss Mog

I thought the demo was supposed to be out in North America. I'm checking the PS Store on PS4 and not seeing it. What's up?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
My original plan was to get Fifa and Pes this time but i've decided to skip Fifa. Am i the only one who likes the graphics in PES over Fifa? Looks a lot more realistic to me.

Can't wait for november but i guess Horizon and Driveclub will keep my mind off football games till then.

I think PES looks much, much better.
FIFA has its own distinctive style which has its merits, there's definitely a cartoony vibe to it, which for a footy game I don't like.

goonergaz

I think PES looks much, much better.
FIFA has its own distinctive style which has its merits, there's definitely a cartoony vibe to it, which for a footy game I don't like.

Yes, it's odd - some of the animations are great in FIFA but having played the demo this seems to feel more 'realistic.

Nyx

Full manual. Needs some time to get used to it, but once you figured it out, you can really perform a football that would please Guardiola.

I don't know, probably just suck at it but with full manual I get too many simple passes that go wrong, I prefer 1/4 settings.

Jack cw

I don't know, probably just suck at it but with full manual I get too many simple passes that go wrong, I prefer 1/4 settings.

True, that's why every action needs some focus and games beome a bit more intense. It's personal preference though but sometimes teammates run into space I can only use if I have it at manual.

cormack12

Gold Member
True, that's why every action needs some focus and games beome a bit more intense. It's personal preference though but sometimes teammates run into space I can only use if I have it at manual.

You can still switch to manual on the fly. I know it's your preference anyway, but if you don't want the frustration you can use 2/4 assisted, then just hold L1/L2 (depending on config) to play a manual pass out of context if that makes sense.

Has anyone noticed the skin colour looks really off in replays as well? Like cartoony peach. Don't really notice it whilst playing but in replays it stands out a mile, looks really fake and grates on my eyes.

Nyx

I probably just need some more practice.

Oh does anybody else also think that the shots should be toned down a bit? I'm sending screamers into the top corner from outside the box with ease.

Nyx

This game would be a beast with a 2 v 2 mode. I can't stand 1 v 1 online, majority act like arseholes every year.

Not sure if PES has the same system as FIFA where if you play Seasons online with a low rated team you will only encounter low rated teams as well.

If that is the case I suggest picking a small(er) club, in my experience in footy games in the past years I found that people who pick Real/Barca/Bayern etc do not have the same ''sportsmanship'' as people who play with lower rated teams.

Ofcourse there are exceptions, but it's really my experience.

And you can always ask here on GAF for some people to play against!

Jack cw

Has anyone noticed the skin colour looks really off in replays as well? Like cartoony peach. Don't really notice it whilst playing but in replays it stands out a mile, looks really fake and grates on my eyes.
Yeah, something wrong with the skin shaders and lighting. MGS5 had that skin problem to with Fox Engine. It just looks like a flat colour without any other shades in it.
Oh does anybody else also think that the shots should be toned down a bit? I'm sending screamers into the top corner from outside the box with ease.
Yeah, shooting is too generous but on the other hand, still fun but as I know Konami, they will tweak it and I hope not for the bad.

spwolf

Not sure if PES has the same system as FIFA where if you play Seasons online with a low rated team you will only encounter low rated teams as well.

If that is the case I suggest picking a small(er) club, in my experience in footy games in the past years I found that people who pick Real/Barca/Bayern etc do not have the same ''sportsmanship'' as people who play with lower rated teams.

Ofcourse there are exceptions, but it's really my experience.

And you can always ask here on GAF for some people to play against!

are you playing at superstar? It is hard to score there.

BTW, 2 vs CPU work well, much better than before... improved AI

goonergaz

So I used to be a FIFA fan (99) but got to the point that winning 6-3 with 3 bicycle kicks got boring! The PS2 took me over to PES (actually it was the Gamecube over to Winning 11 but that's another story! Anyway, I loved PES, the realism and patching kits etc lol but FIFA took back over for me on PS3. PES was getting a bit clunky and FIFA seemed to be an overall better package.

Anyway, with PS4 I didn't get 14 but my son was desperate for 15 Ultimate team so I got him that. Now it's a good game but again it has some issues (things like the defenders when switching players running the wrong way - seems to have been like that forever).

So last night I tried the PES demo and, well, I like it. I love the weight the players have - I lost the first match 3-0 then drew 0-0 then won 3-0 and in that time I really got to grip with the controls, the freedom of passing seems much better too...FIFA seems to often make the wrong pass at critical times and with PES you get a lot more control of where you want to put the ball.

So I'm torn now, I wish my son hadn't insisted on FIFA - I can't justify 2 footy games so I guess I'll pick this up at some point, but I'm certainly tempted to get PES next year.

Dartastic

Just played a bit of the demo after having spent a considerable amount of time with Fifa 15...

Man, it's really good. It feels really, really good. I feel like my teammates are smarter and are making really intelligent runs and such. Passing and player movement feels crisp, and when I try and tackle someone holding X, I actually kinda get in their way, which makes playing defense really good.

Playing build up play and possession play just feels REALLY good, especially as compared to my brief time with PES 14. I wish that the AMAZING presentation from Fifa 15 was in this game... ugh. I really can't make up my mind.

Just found this. http://www.konami.jp/we/2015/

6db28c29.png

Player number:
PS4: 1 to 4 (22 online)
PS3: 1 to 7 (22 online)
X1: 1 to 8 (22 online).

Multiplayer:
PS4: PS+ required, but you don't need it if you're playing against CPU in myClub
PS3: free
X1: Gold required.

Editing:
PS4: Pixel edit, No. Image loading, No. Stadium edit, Yes.
PS3: Pixel edit, Yes. Image loading, Yes. Stadium edit, Yes.
X1: Pixel edit, No. Image loading, No. Stadium edit, Yes.

Custom Music:
PS4: No.
PS3: Yes.
X1: No.

Sharing:
PS4: Yes.
PS3: n/a.
X1: n/a.

Remoteplay:
PS4: Yes.
PS3: No.
X1: n/a.

Frame rate:
PS4: 60.
PS3: 60.
X1: 60.

Resolution:
PS4: 1080p.
PS3: 720p.
X1: 720p.

Other:
PS4: Entrance cutscenes.
PS3: No cutscenes except for the UEFA Champions League and Europ league.
X1: Entrance cutscenes.

Dartastic

Okay, so, I've played more of the demo. PES is definitely better this year. It's pretty freaking good. I just wish the atmosphere was as good in PES as Fifa, and that they had ALL of the teams officially... :(

I'm on old gen for another year and have been playing the demos tonight. Assuming konami don't shit the bed and somehow ruin the final version It's Pro Evo for me. It just feels right, and is the proper continuation of pes 13 after last year's aberration. Love all the little flicks into space you can do when receiving the ball, and shooting is the most satisfying it's been in a long time. The animations in general are great.

Presentation is eh but that's no surprise and I really don't care that much if the gameplay itself is that good. the graphics are weirding me out a not though. the player likenesses are all excellent of course but that weird sheen the pitch has is a bit distracting. Perhaps in a different stadium things will look different.

fifa is ok, but it feels hardly any different from the last one I played a lot, fifa 12. that was an ok game but not sure I would hold it as a benchmark or anything. Perhaps the current gen version has more gameplay changes?

One thing I do like in fifa is the way in a one on one you can flick it with the right stick and trigger to knock a ball past a man on a one on one, don't think I've ever found a good equivalent of that in recent PESes. Is there one I'm unaware of?

Hasney

Fortunately, I could play a football game consisting of players that are all monster puns if the gameplay was tight. Still so getting this.

NoTacos

is super star the hardest difficulty? I just tried it and while it is challenging for a novice like me, it doesn't seem impossible.

spwolf

is super star the hardest difficulty? I just tried it and while it is challenging for a novice like me, it doesn't seem impossible.

as much as I remember, superstar is hardest... it is pretty hard IMHO in 2015. Previously PES used to cheat in order to beat you at highest levels, does not seem to happen now - it seems that level just increases the AI smarts and does not affect player stats (unlike before).

Sou

Translation of the important info for the PS4 and Xbox One version

Pixel Editing: Not supported
Image import: Not supported
Stadium Edit: Supported

:(

For PS3, all 3 of the above are supported.

It's looking like no option file and very basic editing overall for the high end versions.

Top Bottom