• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, I think someone is stalking me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollycat

Every time I come home late the motion sensing light is turned on. It takes a little less time to turn off than it takes for me to get to my house from the entrance of the neighborhood, and it always turns off right before I pull into the driveway. The sensitivity on the light is at minimum. It takes something larger than a border collie to set it off.

The other night at 11:30 there was a light coming from my kitchen reflecting on a door. There are literally only two ways that light could have reached it. One: a very powerful light was in my backyard at the corner of the house and reflected off a wall strong enough to make a door glow blue. Two: The light was actually in my kitchen. There isn't anything in my kitchen that casts blue light, or light that strong.
What's really terrifying about the light is it wasn't on the wall, as if it was specifically being cast on the door.

I keep coming home to find the object I'm using to hold the gate shut moved out of the way, as if someone had gone in my backyard.

Gaf. Someone is stalking me. What do I do?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Uhh, get the police involved? Get a motion sensor camera?

If you are seriously being stalked, going home is the last thing you want to do.

Investigate it further with a friend. Set up cctv if possible. Ask neighbours if they have seen something out of the ordinary. If continues, report it to your local police and ask if they have good tips to address potential stalker problem.

:(

Very awful problem to have, OP. Good luck

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Not to be an alarmist but that's seriously fucking scary and I'd bail out immediately to a hotel or get relatives to stay with me for a while.

RevoDS

Get an alarm system ASAP if you don't have one already. It's very possible that it's a burglar trying to see what how/when/what to steal while you're away.

Also, police, yeah.

Giorgio-Aliens.jpg

inky

Just reading that creeped me the fuck out. Talk to the police and neighbors, try to not be by yourself, get cameras and more lights if possible, and especially, BE CAREFUL.

I thought someone was stalking your Facebook or you from outside your house. This is fucking scary. Call the police right now.

SRG01

Also, you could put an additional thing to hold close the gate. That signals to the other person that you've noticed something and may deter them.

Boem

Contact the police, and invest in camera's/extra security. Do you live alone, and is someone in the house during the day?

Prepare the Home Alone traps.

I recently learned from gaf that this is illegal.

But I would suggest some sort of camera positioned in a good spot. Ask the neighbours if they've seen anyone strange wandering around lately. Make sure your locks are good. Get a dog.

My own motion floodlights turn on whenever a car goes by.

And if your electric meter is behind the gate, there would be reason for an employee to open it.

But I can't explain away lights in your kitchen. Do you have a burglar alarm?

If you speak to your neighbors from time to time, ask them if they've seen anything weird around your house.

Also try to get one of those security camera. They can be found for pretty cheap now.

Hollycat

Also, you could put an additional thing to hold close the gate. That signals to the other person that you've noticed something and may deter them.
I'll try that.
Besides calling the police, if you are living alone I would consider getting a dog.
Can't afford one.

I have no idea why anyone would be interested in my house. If I only pay my bills I make about $50 profit a month so I'm not rich enough to warrant a robbery, and I don't think I've done anything to make any enemies unless being generally mildly annoying when I was a teenager is grounds for hatred.

My own motion floodlights turn on whenever a car goes by.

And if your electric meter is behind the gate, there would be reason for an employee to open it.

But I can't explain away lights in your kitchen. Do you have a burglar alarm?

The meter is in front of the gate and the light only has an active range including my driveway and part of the yard.

Raccoons, stray cats, etc. Those bastards set off motion detector lights. Don't know about the blue light you say you've seen but contacting the police / alarm company / setting up security cameras might be in order.

I'll try that.

Can't afford one.

I have no idea why anyone would be interested in my house. If I only pay my bills I make about $50 profit a month so I'm not rich enough to warrant a robbery, and I don't think I've done anything to make any enemies unless being generally mildly annoying when I was a teenager is grounds for hatred.

Idk maybe they noticed you are not home often and have some electronics they can take. This is assuming they are targeting you. Mind you I'm paranoid

FStop7

Banned
Why don't you unlock your door so I can come in and talk it over.

Serious answer - borrow a camcorder with night vision. You can also get those lights that have motion sensors in them for pretty cheap from hardware stores / Home Depot.

To be honest the "light glowing blue" thing sounds like a neighbor had their TV on or something.

If a burglar was in your house they would have taken something and probably not used a big bright blue light.

FStop7

Banned
To be honest the "light glowing blue" thing sounds like a neighbor had their TV on or something.

If a burglar was in your house they would have taken something and probably not used a big bright blue light.

LED flashlights have kind of a blue tint to them.

Hollycat

I thought it must be from an outside source at first, then I remembered all my blinds are closed, I have a privacy fence, and my neighbors house is several hundred feet away.

Volimar

Definitely speak with your neighbors. It can't hurt ask them to keep a look out, and it might not just be your yard that the person is going in and out of.

Hollycat

The pajamas your wearing right now look very cute on you.

Dude, that's not funny. I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I can't help but take literally every statement seriously.
Was the light moving? Did it go away? Was there an obvious point of exit that a burglar/stalker could have left through when you got in? Could they possibly have exited the premises without you seeing or hearing them?

It just seems like you might be overreacting a bit if there wasn't anything obviously amiss other than the light. If a burglar has made it into your house, flashlight in hand, they're beyond casing the joint - they'd be robbing you. The gate-block being moved seems a little strange, but depending on the layout of your house/apartment or whatever there are any number of reasons it could have been moved.

What actually happened when you came back inside? Did the light disappear and did you hear or see anyone moving? If there's no obvious sign of exit/entry in your actual house, there are only two options: the creeper was a figment of your imagination or they're living in your ceiling like this fake-ass video
I was actually in the house at the time, in the bedroom. I saw the light clearly, and it didn't wobble like a flashlight would. I have literally no clue what the light source would be.

And damn that video, hope that isn't real. I'm just got over thinking there were mexicans in my attic (yes I'm serious, yes it's stupid)

I thought it must be from an outside source at first, then I remembered all my blinds are closed, I have a privacy fence, and my neighbors house is several hundred feet away.

Was the light moving? Did it go away? Was there an obvious point of exit that a burglar/stalker could have left through when you got in? Could they possibly have exited the premises without you seeing or hearing them?

It just seems like you might be overreacting a bit if there wasn't anything obviously amiss other than the light. If a burglar has made it into your house, flashlight in hand, they're beyond casing the joint - they'd be robbing you. The gate-block being moved seems a little strange, but depending on the layout of your house/apartment or whatever there are any number of reasons it could have been moved.

What actually happened when you came back inside? Did the light disappear and did you hear or see anyone moving? If there's no obvious sign of exit/entry in your actual house, there are only two options: the creeper was a figment of your imagination or they're living in your ceiling like this fake-ass video

entremet

Sounds like you're getting "cased" by burglars. They're looking to determine if your home is worth burglarizing and also seeing when you're out of the house.

I would notify the cops immediately and install a security system and cameras. Or move if you have the funds.

I had assholes break into my home. Sucks big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom