• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky interview with Sean.

Cmagus

This game still sounds great and we know the game is gonna be incredible looking but they need to start showing the game as a whole. Everything they talk about sounds great but I really hope it plays as good as it sounds. I'm rooting for these guys, it's impressive what they seem to be accomplishing.

Portugeezer

This game still sounds great and we know the game is gonna be incredible looking but they need to start showing the game as a whole. Everything they talk about sounds great but I really hope it plays as good as it sounds. I'm rooting for these guys, it's impressive what they seem to be accomplishing.

It also seems like a game that plays much better than it looks.

Sounds kind of like FTL or Out There (explore, built better ships, improve weapons, improve trading, etc), but in full 3D and more interactive.

Why did you put red on the "s"? lol

Not hearing much new in the interview and I really dont need to!

Im pretty much ready to play the game

All I want to know now is the release date :)

its looking like a 2015 game to me

BouncyFrag

I'd watch this but I've adopted the stance that the less I know about the game the more I will enjoy the experience so the devs have won me over as they've been harping on this consistently in interviews about the game. I really hope this game can deliver.

hohoXD123

I remember some people having an issue with the planets possibly being much smaller than an average real planet, but based on the interview it seems they can be Earth-sized. Pretty damn insane.

I am going to stay absolutely tame with this game not going to get my hype up at all the things that this game seem to offer are amazing but..i'll wait and see i think everyone else should do the same as well because they'll end up furious if the end results don't equal his vision

pbrand

Neo Member
The concept (as I'm sure most people would agree) seems cool, but I'm not really sure about the developer's past history. I didn't really like Joe Danger, and it seems that is the only other IP they've worked on.

I hope they're not in over their heads.

Mully

The host looks really similar to the woman from the Yogcast.

Glad to see Sean get more coverage. When is NMS coming out?

hohoXD123

The concept (as I'm sure most people would agree) seems cool, but I'm not really sure about the developer's past history. I didn't really like Joe Danger, and it seems that is the only other IP they've worked on.

Well Sean previously worked at Criterion so it's not like he's lacking experience.

Sinister

Neo Member
Seems like a good guy and I wish them well, but I think the hype has gone way past what this game will deliver.

This game is going to look awesome at E3 2015.

And at E3 2016. And E3 2017.

I hope I'm wrong :p

Sean gave an indication the game will be out before E3 next year.

In an interview at this year's E3, he said something like "if I'm talking to you next E3 and the game's not finished I'm gonna be a mess".

So yeah, I think their goal is Spring 2015.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This was a great interview. I wanted him to go more into the fractal math paths and all the little details which he seemed very excited about. You can just tell that this is their baby and their level of excitement/passion for this is absolutely contagious. I will support these guys no matter what as long as they stay true to themselves and their vision.

Very glad as well regarding the Journey-like MP. Not a focus, just a nice added experience IF you choose to pursue that route. God I can't wait to get my hands on this piece of software.

Cmagus

I really want to see the combat in this game. It basically seems like you will be going around scanning, maybe extracting "units" as a currency of some sort. I'm just curious of what he threats will be and how much emphasis on combat there will be as I imagine just exploring around would get boring pretty fast.

Why did you put red on the "s"? lol

Not sure what you mean.

Sean gave an indication the game will be out before E3 next year.

In an interview at this year's E3, he said something like "if I'm talking to you next E3 and the game's not finished I'm gonna be a mess".

So yeah, I think their goal is Spring 2015.

That would be awesome!

Gaz_RB

I haven't seem any interviews ask about what happens when you die.

Is it bad that I want this to be a permadeath game? Or maybe you can pay someone to clone you on death or something, but if you don't keep up payments or something, you have to restart with a new character?

I haven't seem any interviews ask about what happens when you die.

Is it bad that I want this to be a permadeath game? Or maybe you can pay someone to clone you on death or something, but if you don't keep up payments or something, you have to restart with a new character?

They've mentioned it a few times. The player character can't die (in the sense of a game over that is) but your ship can be destroyed, so if that happens, your escape pod crash lands on the nearest planet and you have to work your way up from the start, earn resources, buy a crappy ship and so on. I'm expecting something similar to Minecraft or Dark Souls etc.

Gaz_RB

They've mentioned it a few times. The player character can't die (in the sense of a game over that is) but your ship can be destroyed, so if that happens, your escape pod crash lands on the nearest planet and you have to work your way up from the start, earn resources, buy a crappy ship and so on. I'm expecting something similar to Minecraft or Dark Souls etc.

That's a good compromise actually. But wait so you mean that the player character can't die permanently, right? Because if I face a giant T-Rex Octopus on Planet Zypto-5 and I can't be killed by it, that's silly.

onQ123

Naughty Dog made Way of the Warrior.

That's a good compromise actually. But wait so you mean that the player character can't die permanently, right? Because if I face a giant T-Rex Octopus on Planet Zypto-5 and I can't be killed by it, that's silly.

That's what I gathered from it, yeah. Can't remember right now if they mentioned anything about loosing your suit upgrades, but I imagine that if a T-Rex kills you, you'll just respawn somewhere on the same planet, maybe your suit revived you or something in that manner. But they've mostly mentioned certain situations, like being in your ship, being in space, that sort of stuff.

This was a great interview. I wanted him to go more into the fractal math paths and all the little details which he seemed very excited about. You can just tell that this is their baby and their level of excitement/passion for this is absolutely contagious. I will support these guys no matter what as long as they stay true to themselves and their vision.

Very glad as well regarding the Journey-like MP. Not a focus, just a nice added experience IF you choose to pursue that route. God I can't wait to get my hands on this piece of software.

His discussion of Journey relieved some of my concerns and doubled my excitement!

Pimpwerx

Hard to get excited until I see more. But it is on my radar. I hope it can fulfill some of the ambitious promises of the team. They seem passionate in any case. PEACE.

IT looks really good. I hope the space combat is very intricate and complex.

The game seems more exploration focused presently.

I'm worried that this game is too ambitious for such a relatively small team.

Has their grasp gone beyond their reach?

I really want to see the combat in this game. It basically seems like you will be going around scanning, maybe extracting "units" as a currency of some sort. I'm just curious of what he threats will be and how much emphasis on combat there will be as I imagine just exploring around would get boring pretty fast.

Not sure what you mean.

wow you ninja editor

Just watched the whole interview. Not much new really but there are a few bits of info that either confirm or form a better picture about stuff:

- It seems you don't actually upgrade your ship, instead you buy different and better ships that are docked on space stations. So you can buy one if you want from the currently available selection of ships, some being fighters with better guns, others haulers more suitable for trading etc.

- They call the in-game money "units" and you can choose how to earn it. On planets (on foot that is), you earn units by discovering and mining resources (sounded like you get units for both of these actions), explore the planet, discover new creatures and there's also combat on planets that they don't want to show yet. (although there are glimpses of it in the trailers). Murray also kind of hinted at there being more uses for the tricoder/weapon/tool than just scanning and shooting, upgrading the tool in different ways etc. but it's not clear.

- There's a bit of a faction alignment system in the game. If you constantly attack ships from one race, you will become their enemy. But if you continually help them, they will favor you and will start helping you out. Murray said that he "wouldn't exactly call them abilities" but by being on good terms with some races you will have benefits, one of them being those friendly AI wingmen from the trailer. But they want the players to gradually discover these kinds of gameplay elements, where they for example choose to help certain races and gradually see changes happening that influence the gameplay even though nothing hinted at these mechanics even existing in the game. They like to have a lot of that kind of stuff.

I'd say Sean Murray can't always articulate his ideas and as a result maybe presents them in a more overblown fashion. Most of these things (especially regarding the spaceship and space bits) are classic space trading sim gameplay elements, docking on stations, earning money by taking bounties or straight up killing, trading, mining asteroids, buying better ships and better hyperdrive capability, discovering new planets etc. Honestly, this would be enough and I'd say it's pretty much everything upcoming games like Elite: Dangerous will offer. The cool thing is that No Man's Sky is marrying this established space sim gameplay with on foot planet exploration, combat and a classic (or maybe pulp) sci-fi atmosphere. The concept is pretty much my dream game, but while not trying to undermine Hello Game's efforts, people should probably keep their expectations in check.

Blizzard

Banned
The cynic in me thinks this level of hype is going to backfire.
If anything I feel like some or most people are the other way around. It has looked too ambitious from the start, and it will be crazy if they pull it off, but I feel like a lot people are cautious and just waiting to see what happens since it is taking a long time to develop.

cackhyena

Just watched the whole interview. Not much new really but there are a few bits of info that either confirm or form a better picture about stuff:

- It seems you don't actually upgrade your ship, instead you buy different and better ships that are docked on space stations. So you can buy one if you want from the currently available selection of ships, some being fighters with better guns, others haulers more suitable for trading etc.

- They call the in-game money "units" and you can choose how to earn it. On planets (on foot that is), you earn units by discovering and mining resources (sounded like you get units for both of these actions), explore the planet, discover new creatures and there's also combat on planets that they don't want to show yet. (although there are glimpses of it in the trailers). Murray also kind of hinted at there being more uses for the tricoder/weapon/tool than just scanning and shooting, upgrading the tool in different ways etc. but it's not clear.

- There's a bit of a faction alignment system in the game. If you constantly attack ships from one race, you will become their enemy. But if you continually help them, they will favor you and will start helping you out. Murray said that he "wouldn't exactly call them abilities" but by being on good terms with some races you will have benefits, one of them being those friendly AI wingmen from the trailer. But they want the players to gradually discover these kinds of gameplay elements, where they for example choose to help certain races and gradually see changes happening that influence the gameplay even though nothing hinted at these mechanics even existing in the game. They like to have a lot of that kind of stuff.

I'd say Sean Murray can't always articulate his ideas and as a result maybe presents them in a more overblown fashion. Most of these things (especially regarding the spaceship and space bits) are classic space trading sim gameplay elements, docking on stations, earning money by taking bounties or straight up killing, trading, mining asteroids, buying better ships and better hyperdrive capability, discovering new planets etc. Honestly, this would be enough and I'd say it's pretty much everything upcoming games like Elite: Dangerous will offer. The cool thing is that No Man's Sky is marrying this established space sim gameplay with on foot planet exploration, combat and a classic (or maybe pulp) sci-fi atmosphere. The concept is pretty much my dream game, but while not trying to undermine Hello Game's efforts, people should probably keep their expectations in check.
Thank you, sir.

Sounds like the best way to "choose" your new ship is to fly around until you spot one you like, then tail it until it docks at a starbase and you can then buy it.

Top Bottom