• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP : I just got a PS4

Hi guys, thanks to the amazing dicksmith deal i now own a ps4 which is not something i expected to have for at least another year. So now i need some downloading advice :)

I skipped the entire ps3 generation in favour of 360 so everything is pretty new to me. So i would like some tips on the best games to download on the system

- Indie Games
- Free To Play Games
- Retail Games

Now i have an xbox one so i have already played a lot of the big third party games (wolfenstein/black flag/cod/battlefield e.t.c) , so this is mainly for exclusive games.

The 2 games i know to get are

- The Last of Us Remastered
- Destiny

Any other tips on some great games available for the system ? Are their any great kids games available 4+ ?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hi guys, thanks to the amazing dicksmith deal i now own a ps4 which is not something i expected to have for at least another year. So now i need some downloading advice :)

I skipped the entire ps3 generation in favour of 360 so everything is pretty new to me. So i would like some tips on the best games to download on the system

- Indie Games
- Free To Play Games
- Retail Games

Now i have an xbox one so i have already played a lot of the big third party games (wolfenstein/black flag/cod/battlefield e.t.c) , so this is mainly for exclusive games.

The 2 games i know to get are

- The Last of Us Remastered
- Destiny

Any other tips on some great games available for the system ? Are their any great kids games available 4+ ?

Just got the system too and I have to echo the recommendation for P.T.

I'll add Resogun.

Resogun
Journey
Infamous. Gorgeous game, and fun. Could have been better, but it's a solid 8.5 in my book.
P.T
MLB the Show 2014 if you like sports game
The most recent Lego game for your 4 year old.

And think about investing in PS Plus. You'd get Resogun for free among others.

Btw, I enjoyed Knack. And it might be a good choice for you to couch co-op with for your 4 year old. Mind you, the co-op character has like infinite health, which is good for your daughter. Get it if you can find for less than 20 bucks.

ClearData

Infamous is fun and has a DLC expansion dropping next week. Though you don't have to own the base game to play First Light.

I didn't like KZ, I think you should skip that. I had never played an infamous game before, and thought it was good fun, give that a try.

If you are a baseball fan, you can't go wrong with MLB The Show. It's fantastic, but be warned the online is pretty broken. But if you're a play a season/franchise type of guy, its absolutely great and something the Xbox brand just doesn't have.

Most of all, enjoy! And there are games like Diablo and Metro Redux (in a week) if you hadn't played those on last gen/getting them for Xbox one

Resogun
Journey
Infamous. Gorgeous game, and fun. Could have been better, but it's a solid 8.5 in my book.

And think about investing in PS Plus. You'd get Resogun for free among others.

Btw, I enjoyed Knack. And it might be a good choice for you to couch co-op with. Get it if you can find for less than 20 bucks.

Thanks is journey available now ? Definetely investing in ps+ but probably missed alot of the old free games.

I brought this machine mainly for journey and rime and game diversity so i will definetely check those out when they are available.

Relativ9

Well considering you didnt have a PS3 i'd add Dead Nation, Flower, Journey, Pixel Junk Shooter Ultimate, The Last of Us Remastered, and Trine 2.

DC1

Don't play Knack or Killzone: Shadowfall.

Do play Resogun.

Don't listen to antitrop!!!

Play Knack. It's a wonderful platformer that's even better with a second player.
My 7 years is an awesome 'Metal Knack' companion. That is, if you're into that platformers.

With respect to Killzone: The single player is a beautiful piece of work and the mechanics are very solid. The story though... yeah, the story will make you cringe a little.

He said he already played Wolfenstein on Xbox One, but anyone else that hasn't should, because it's a GOTY candidate. :)

Yeh wolfenstein is fantastic, i think last of us and destiny will keep me going for some time. In the meantime i will fill the gap with smaller indie titles like hohokum and journey and flower :)

That should keep me busy for a good while :)

Palpable

I'm not sure if there's still a sale going on PSN for it, but you should pick up Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Visuals are awesome and if you like stealth gameplay, it's great. It's short (it's a prologue), but it has high replayability.

Mik2121

I personally enjoyed Knack. Perhaps not a 10/10 game, but still fun nevertheless.

Otherwise, the PT demo is pretty good if you're into horror games. And even if not (like me), it's worth checking it out just to be impressed by how good the atmosphere is.
Also what most of the other people said. Killzone is visually stunning, as well as Infamous. Other games like Resogun are also a must!

Thanks is journey available now ? Definetely investing in ps+ but probably missed alot of the old free games.

I brought this machine mainly for journey and rime and game diversity so i will definetely check those out when they are available.

Unfortunately, not yet.

BTW, I mostly agree with everything on this list - all the games above an 80 get the a-okay in my book. However, I think Flower is more of an interesting concept of a game, and in of itself isn't all that fun. Maybe it's up for super cheap.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/ps4/metascore

I'm not sure if there's still a sale going on PSN for it, but you should pick up Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Visuals are awesome and if you like stealth gameplay, it's great. It's short (it's a prologue), but it has high replayability.

Thanks but i already played that one :) Was an awesome mini game though :)

I'd recommend downloading the demo for P.T. It's free and one hell of an experience [pun slightly intended].

Infamous: Second Son is also a must. Best lighting I've seen in a game PERIOD.

Infamous Second Son I'll warn is a bit short and the end-game is really disappointing. But it's a fun ride that I feel was better than the first. You don't need to have played the first two to understand what is going on.

In addition I'll echo the Resogun suggestions.

If you didn't play it, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is supposed to be decent depending on how forgivable you are in ludonarrative dissonance and how close you were to the classic games.

Indie games, I'd recommend Outlast if you didn't get that for Xbox One or PC.

Don't Starve is ok, and Contrast was a nice distraction thrown in for PS+. Not sure how much those two cost on the PS Store to recommend a buy though.

Killzone Shadowfall I'll recommend if you want to play multiplayer. Sounds like they fixed a few things, and before the base camping got bad it was pretty damn good. You may want to check out the GAF community here to gauge on whether or not it's worth it if you're interested.

Bloodrage

Banned
Don't go buying too much yet. The fall flood is almost here.

Until then, I highly recommend:

The Last of Us: Remastered
Transistor
Resogun
Wolfenstein
InFamous: SS
Sound Shapes
Rogue Legacy

Killzone does have a good multiplayer mode, but honestly the single player just doesn't take off. And what's worse is that there are a few levels which are just confusing and bad.

Shame, because the game is absolutely gorgeous and is a system showpiece for PS4's first two years.

But Infamous is the better buy - it's also a show piece graphically, and it's a fun game.

Save up enough for:

• The Evil Within
  • Bloodborne
  • The Witcher 3 (If you lack a capable PC)
  • Dragon Age Inquisition (Ditto and after reviews)
  • Alien Isolation
  • REmake 'Remastered'

Not sure what your tastes are OP, but those seem like good PS4 choices. Evolve too, though you might prefer XB1 if that's where your friends list is stronger and know some mates who are picking it up.

TheBear

Also jumped in recently. Can't believe it doesn't have a functional download manager.
Played a bit of Ground Zeroes last night, not overly impressive compared to my PC but still very nice.

I got one from Dick Smith as well :D

Have Fez from PS+ and bought Hohokum. Thinking of getting Rogue Legacy too, was looking at Resogun but it's $23 and I hear it's really short :/

As far as retail goes I'll be grabbing inFamous Second Son and Ground Zeroes tomorrow and that'll be it for now.

As far as recommendations go I'd be interested in hearing what else there is as far as well polished indies go. I know I don't want anything else on the retail front lol.

Top Bottom