• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

Sendou

tumblr_nalvibpte71qzppqswv.jpg

French coder Smealum is preparing to release a 3DS Homebrew Channel hack for 3DSes soon! Here’s why this project is awesome:

• It works on the latest 3DS firmware, unlike previous hacks that require outdated versions from a year and a half ago
  • This will not load commercial or pirated 3DS ROMs, only homebrew apps and games (though it will be able to run emulators like this SNES one for 3DS)
  • It will support North American, European, and Japanese systems
  • While Smealum hasn’t implemented region unlocking yet, he says "playing games from other region should almost definitely be possible"
    [*]Presumably you’ll need a homebrew device to patch your system once Smealum releases the hack.

He's the man behind "Aperture Science DS"

Source: http://tinycartridge.com/post/95277669797/3ds-homebrew-channel-imminent-french-coder

Presumably you’ll need a homebrew device to patch your system once Smealum releases the hack.

This part here. Not quite sure what it means - it won't be an easy download and use type program, correct?

NewGame

Banned
I would adore emulator support, but my heart would be totally set aflutter if it had multiplayer support through the emulator. I'm sure it's going to be extremely difficult but stuff like the ZSNES has a Netplay feature.

Whoa whoa that's something if true! I'm past homebrewing my systems thanks to RetroArch on my iPhone but if that allows me to play Rune Factory 4 I will import the game from the US ASAP! :D

Katori

Would love to use this if it checks out. Real emulators on my 3DS? Yes please. (would still buy VC games if they're available)

I would adore emulator support, but my heart would be totally set aflutter if it had multiplayer support through the emulator. I'm sure it's going to be extremely difficult but stuff like the ZSNES has a Netplay feature.
As I understand it, netplay/ad hoc for home consoles wouldn't be difficult. Portable consoles are much trickier though, as they could rely on the link cable (or ad hoc wireless connection) being present 100% of the time and always in sync.

epmode

Opens a path to a fan translation for Dragon Quest 7. Bring it on.

edit: Or not? That's a confusing description.

Are there any Japanese or European exclusive games with full English text already out there? I'd imagine not many but if this actually happens I'll be interested in grabbing a couple imports.

Opens a path to a fan translation for Dragon Quest 7, Bring it on.

edit: Or not? That's a confusing description.
It could still open a path to fan translations, just look at the fan translations of Captain Rainbow or Fatal Frame 4, both of which required you to have the original game.

Doczu

Just give me the option to play imported games from other regions so i can have a goddamn boxed copy of SMT IV and a chance to play Rune Factory...

upandaway

I don't really... I mean, region free sounds amazing, but I don't know whether I can buy a different region game just because of this. If Nintendo releases some update that I need to install to play something, and that update screws up the channel, I'll be stuck with a game I can't play anymore.

As far as I understand, it doesn't allow piracy because it's an exploit that runs in user mode (as opposed to kernel mode). And apparently the region unlocking is simple enough that it can be done in user mode.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Why not? You're already running unsigned software or whatever aren't you?
And if it can get past region locks as well I don't see why it wouldn't be able to run ROMs.

It may be running in DS mode.

rjc571

Banned
Awesome! Only problem is you woudn't be able to access the eShop after Nintendo puts out an update to block it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Awesome. There's already a way to play region free but you needed the old FW.

If this works well, I'll upgrade my spare.

redlemon

Why not? You're already running unsigned software or whatever aren't you?
And if it can get past region locks as well I don't see why it wouldn't be able to run ROMs.

Difference between usermode and kernel exploits I think.
My understanding it can access anything a game theoretically could.

A July 16th tweet says no flashcard required but does not say what the requirements otherwise are. If I understand right I think the the hacker also thinks it is an easy patch for Nintendo though.

Sure. Until you install the 3DS ROM booter via the homebrew channel.
Give me this weeks lotto numbers you time traveller, I want to be a millionaire too.

Seriously, you have no ideas what this things capabilities are or are not so it is a bit premature to say that.

Are there any Japanese or European exclusive games with full English text already out there? I'd imagine not many but if this actually happens I'll be interested in grabbing a couple imports.
First things that come to mind are:
On the eShop there is that Nintendo Pocket football cup (if you're trying to play it like football manager, don't you have to watch the matches and they're 10 mins long). Inazuma Eleven games are on cart and are years away from hitting America (but I don't know how much the game play has evolved from the version you have on the eShop).

eShop region free for NNID-less users should in theory only need a way to change the country in system settings outside of your region and a way to ignore region check on booting the games. However, get locked out the shop it is available from and no redownload for you so it is very risky. Also it might trigger some red flags on an NNID if you do choose to get one...

Top Bottom