• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3's resolutions weren't dictated by MS

get

Shin-Ra

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...o-3-xbox-one-1080p-patch-performance-analysis
"We did have 1080p, but we were finding it challenging to keep our frame-rate. Because Diablo's so much of an action game, we wanted to have a responsive feel - especially with four players. When you get four witch doctors in a room full of demons, that's probably the worst case scenario for us because we have effects going off everywhere. We want to make sure that it still feels very glassy, very responsive, and that's why we dropped resolution down on it," he explained.

"We did find it challenging early on to get it to 1080p. That's why we made the decision to drop to 900. That's what we demoed and were showing around E3 time. And Microsoft was just like, 'This is unacceptable. You need to figure out a way to get a better resolution.' So we worked with them directly, they gave us a code update to let us get to full 1080p."
Has the game been tested in these conditions?

Well, it's really a case of he says/she says rather than confirmation of anything.

It was pretty easy to read that dev quote, in full, and know what he was saying. It could have been interpreted different ways due to how it was worded, but some people wanted to assume the worst possible interpretation.

Just stop and ask yourself, from a common sense perspective. Could you imagine a platform holder going to a third party dev and demanding they hit a certain resolution? Such a demand would be met with laughter.

Eusis

What's he supposed to say?

Do I believe him? Eh
Do I want to beleive him? Absolutley.
I believe him.

It's just that if you want something from someone you may want to push and try to make it work out, and not necessarily in a way that involves leaving their horse's head in their bed.

NickFire

I'm giving Spencer the benefit of the doubt. I do not believe for one second that MS said get to 1080p or we wont allow you to release the game on the One. I do believe that MS said this is unacceptable, you can do better, and we will show you how. But I call that constructive criticism, not compulsion.

Chobel

So it's either:
1) "Unacceptable" was just paraphrasing from blizzard dev to what MS said, a really bad one though.
2) Phil Spencer is lying
3) Blizzard dev is lying.

So I'm going with Hanlon's razor on this, and I assume the first one is what really happened.

So what, was the dev just being overdramatic when he said Microsoft said it was unacceptable?

The dev Probably just answered the question in the interview and it came out wrong and got misquoted..

I bet in reality MS engineers just saw it was 900p and offered to help to get it to 1080p. I don't think MS ever said to blizzard that 900p was downright unacceptable.

Only way to find out is to do the test Blizzard did that made them drop the res to 900p... 4 player co-op pet witch doctors rifting and see how it holds up.

RoKKeR

So it's either:
1) "Unacceptable" was just paraphrasing from blizzard dev to what MS said, a really bad one though.
2) Phil Spencer is lying

So I'm going with Hanlon's razor on this, and I assume the first one is what really happened.

#1, or we wouldn't be seeing this from Phil.

So it's either:
2) Phil Spencer is lying

Going with number 1 as well. More like "Oh well that won't do, let us help you out with this code," than "Oh for fucks sake, you aren't 1080p? Use this code or else."

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It was obvious from the beginning that the quote in that interview was not verbatim.

There was no speculation needed. The developer of the game was the one who said it.

But most reasonable, objective people could discern that MS cannot literally tell a developer like Blizzard "this is unacceptable".

In a manner of speaking MS did not find it acceptable and so did what they could to rectify it. That meant supplying Blizzard with a code or whatever. But, like Spencer said, obviously the final call was Blizzard's to make.

I'm giving Spencer the benefit of the doubt. I do not believe for one second that MS said get to 1080p or we wont allow you to release the game on the One. I do believe that MS said this is unacceptable, you can do better, and we will show you how. But I call that constructive criticism, not compulsion.

I agree with this interpretation.

Toki767

The dev Probably just answered the question in the interview and it came out wrong and got misquoted..

I bet in reality MS engineers just saw it was 900p and offered to help to get it to 1080p. I don't think MS ever said to blizzard that 900p was downright unacceptable.

Figure of speech?

Definitely of the belief that he could have phrased it better. The article itself made it seem like a direct quote though.

Jomjom

Banned
As with most things I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I doubt MS told Blizzard "if you don't get it to 1080p you can forget about releasing on the Xbox One!" I also doubt they gave them absolutely no pressure and just offered "help".

Makes the most sense.

Eusis

But most reasonable, objective people could discern that MS cannot literally tell a developer like Blizzard "this is unacceptable".

In a manner of speaking MS did not find it acceptable and so did what they could to rectify it. That meant supplying Blizzard with a code or whatever. But, like Spencer said, obviously the final call was Blizzard's to make.
Well, they CAN go "put it at 1080p, or we won't let you publish" though there's probably reasons they couldn't do it at that stage. Could've made it a pain for them in the future instead though if they really wanted to be malevolent.

But no, it was probably that they were able to help get it to 1080p and said something like that it'd be crazy to stick with 900p when they can hit 1080p at minimal loss.

Top Bottom