• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 may have bluetooth issues?

So over the past few days my launch day PS4 has been having this strange issue where my Dualshock 4 will lose sync with my PS4. I can't discern a pattern, it appears to be random. Sometimes if I try to turn it on from standby it will happen, sometimes if the DS4 turns off while watching a movie it'll happen. This only started very recently.

I did some digging and it appears that some people have had a similar issue , but I'm not sure if it's the same one as I have. I only have one controller and I'm not in a position to buy a second just right now to test.

I am worried that this is an issue with the PS4 itself and that I'll need to have Sony send a coffin. I'm going to attempt some solutions like rebuilding the database or reinstalling the firmware today to see if that works. I just thought I'd see if anyone else was experiencing this.

I'm having DS4 issues where the controller has massive latency spikes. Nothing will happen and then it's as if all inputs are performed at once. So my camera (using Infamous as an example) completely goes off on one.

Since I moved my PS4 out of my AV cabinet this is no longer happening. However, my Wii U was right next to the PS4 so I'm not sure if it was Bluetooth interference or being in a cabinet.

That being said, none of my other consoles that have lived in my AV cabinet have ever exhibited this behaviour (PS3, Wii, X360 and Wii U). At one point I had PS3, X360 and Wii U all in the same cabinet with no problems.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I don't think it's the PS4. I have similar issues with all three of my DS4s, but using a ControllerMax to use a a Wii U Pro controller on PS4 it never acts up. I think it's the radio in the DS4

K' Dash

I remember people having this exact issue bavk in launch, they suspected it was de DS4 bit it was the PS4 actually, if I were you Id call Sonysend it back.

I had this issue a few weeks back. I think I had to hit the reset button on the back of the controller, then connect it with a USB cable.

mindsale

My One used to disconnect like crazy from its controller - every minute or so. It was beyond frustrating. I hooked it into the console and I think it upgraded something-or-other and it's been better since. My Apple keyboard disconnects constantly, too. My DS4 has only done it a handful of times since launch.

I've actually been having this problem playing TLOU online. Thought it was lag but it's infuriating.

Middle of a firefight and all of a sudden I'm a sitting duck with no connection.

I guess I'm not the only one

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
I need to do more testing, but i'm pretty sure it has to do with the 2.4ghz spectrum. My current setup is rare. I have all of my consoles sitting in my living room and i play in my bedroom through a shared wall. I feed the HDMI connection to the room and the DS4 is wirleess, so we're good to go.

Except there's issues every once in a while. At first i though, damn, my walls must have something in them. Then I thought about WiFi... Could this be my problem? I have Wireless N with a 2.4ghz spectrum. I tried turning off the wifi modem and boom, flawless performance. I live in an apartment building and have many other 2.4ghz wifi signals but it does not affect performance.

My current plan is to upgrade to a 5ghz router and see if that fixes my issue. Pretty lame design, PS4. I love ya but come on! (WiiU Tablet works flawlessly i might add)

Jomjom

Banned
Hmm strange. I have a bluetooth headset (actually the Gold headset is not bluetooth is it?), 2 controllers, keyboard, and mouse all hooked up and have never gotten a single disconnect. Sounds like might be a problem with your console?

The same exact thing has been happening to me. If I sit back on my couch with the controller in my lap, its like the controller loses connection and my guy in Diablo keeps running forwards or something else weird happens. But if I sit forward and hunch (which I try not to do) it's fine. As far as I know nothing in my house has changed, and this has only started happening recently. Within the last week.

Edit: now that I think about it I do have a new wifi router... I wonder if its interfering somehow

SerTapTap

I'm having DS4 issues where the controller has massive latency spikes. Nothing will happen and then it's as if all inputs are performed at once. So my camera (using Infamous as an example) completely goes off on one.

Since I moved my PS4 out of my AV cabinet this is no longer happening. However, my Wii U was right next to the PS4 so I'm not sure if it was Bluetooth interference or being in a cabinet.

That being said, none of my other consoles that have lived in my AV cabinet have ever exhibited this behaviour (PS3, Wii, X360 and Wii U). At one point I had PS3, X360 and Wii U all in the same cabinet with no problems.

The DS4 definitely has a somewhat limited range--it won't work through or so thick walls in my house, so using it in the bed I get the situation you describe. Might just be bluetooth in general, same happens if I try a PS4 controller on PC, and my gamepad desyncs under the same circumstances. I'm considering moving the consoles to the middle room so range isn't an issue but ugh that's annoying. Already did it with the Wii U because it was unplayable in bed otherwise.

I'm sitting like 4 feet from my console and I don't have a wireless router at the moment. Though the people below us do.

Maybe the bluetooth radio in my controller was damaged somehow during the move, I just hope it's the controller and not the PS4. Though I don't really understand why I have to go through the whole resync process of pushing the rest button, attaching to the PS4 via USB, and restarting the console from a full powered down state to get it to connect again.

I just can't hit the PS button and have the controller connect again.

virtuo

Neo Member
The same exact thing has been happening to me. If I sit back on my couch with the controller in my lap, its like the controller loses connection and my guy in Diablo keeps running forwards or something else weird happens. But if I sit forward and hunch (which I try not to do) it's fine.

Same thing with me too. I'm only 5' away from the console. My back hates me.

not the same kind of issue, though it did freeze whenever i tried to log in to my account (it seems my internet was down for a moment). i had to resync the DS4 because i had to shutdown manual using the front button on the PS4

also sony suck balls with third party headsets specifically astros a50, it is a nightmare when you fuck up your configuration and your mic stops working (when you switch between accounts without logging off for example)

i hope they bring their A game with peripheral compatibility and shit soon enough

B_Boss

Speaking of Bluetooth, I really believe we should start a new topic (or perhaps a campaign even) concerning the Dualshock 4's current inability to function as a wired device when connected to the PS4 itself. MLG cannot even have PS4 tournaments as a result (which, personally isn't a big deal but lends weight to the case at hand as a gaming community.).

There have been attempts to reach Sony and Yoshida-dono and Shu even thanked someone in particular for submitting their suggestion/complaint about the issue. There is also ample discussion and related material to bring to the forefront (such as the image of an actual wired DS4 from a dev (I believe?) not to mention the Japanese Hori PS4 Gamepad, these cases show that wired is certainly possible on the PS4 yet right out the box this is impossible and frankly (and personally) I prefer it for gaming. Any thoughts?

That's a big problem too. If you could use it as a wired controller I wouldn't need to reset the controller and cold boot my PS4 every time it loses sync.

It also seems to be completely random. All day Friday it worked fine, but Saturday and Sunday it wouldn't stay synced if I put my PS4 into standby mode.

Ambient80

My One used to disconnect like crazy from its controller - every minute or so. It was beyond frustrating. I hooked it into the console and I think it upgraded something-or-other and it's been better since. My Apple keyboard disconnects constantly, too. My DS4 has only done it a handful of times since launch.

Yeah I've had both systems do quirky things with the controllers like disconnecting or just turning off. Very odd.

I don't think it's the PS4. I have similar issues with all three of my DS4s, but using a ControllerMax to use a a Wii U Pro controller on PS4 it never acts up. I think it's the radio in the DS4

Interestingly enough I was trying the DS4 with my PC using DS4windows the other day and noticed massive latency spikes (it gives you latency figures) sat only 2 feet from the receiver with direct line of sight. Went back to the xbox 360 controller after that...

SerTapTap

Interestingly enough I was trying the DS4 with my PC using DS4windows the other day and noticed massive latency spikes (it gives you latency figures) sat only 2 feet from the receiver with direct line of sight. Went back to the xbox 360 controller after that...

That really shouldn't happen without massive interference...DS4 Windows is great, but I get latency spikes with a foot thick wall in the way. No problems in same room, can't go back to another controller.

That really shouldn't happen without massive interference...DS4 Windows is great, but I get latency spikes with a foot thick wall in the way. No problems in same room, can't go back to another controller.

I wonder if its my DS4, there is nothing really close that should interfere. Will have to try another one....

Remeard

I had a similar issue with my launch console. The controller kept disconnecting, sometimes after a minute sometimes after ten. Had a hard time figuring out what it was, sent in the controller, ended up being the console itself.

If you have a friend with a ps4, try it out.

jgf

I don't think it's interference. The only my other devices in my media cabinet are a 360, GameCube and an N64.

Maybe you have some signal interfering especially with bluetooth. So have you tried any non-Ps4 bluetooth stuff in this vicinity? If other bluetooth gear is not affected you know thats potentially a PS4/DS4 related problem.

The other way round is to try if your PS4/DS4 is broken, by moving it to another location. Preferably one that has very interferences.

Also this: Fresh out of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz#Bluetooth

Bluetooth devices intended for use in short-range personal area networks operate from 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz. To reduce interference with other protocols that use the 2.45 GHz band, the Bluetooth protocol divides the band into 79 channels (each 1 MHz wide) and changes channels up to 1600 times per second. Newer Bluetooth versions also feature Adaptive Frequency Hopping which attempts to detect existing signals in the ISM band, such as Wi-Fi channels, and avoid them by negotiating a channel map between the communicating Bluetooth devices.

Surprisingly the USB 3.0 computer cable standard has been proven to generate significant amounts of Electromagnetic interference that can interfere with any Bluetooth devices a user has connected to the same computer. Various strategies can be applied to resolve the problem, ranging from simple solutions such as increasing the distance of USB 3.0 devices from any Bluetooth devices to purchasing better shielded USB cables.

Yoday

I vaguely recall there being something about Sony changing The BT radio in the DS4 with the revision that changed the rubber on the sticks. I wonder if launch controllers have a bad transmitter in them or something. I would look it up, but I am on my phone.

I had a similar issue with my launch console. The controller kept disconnecting, sometimes after a minute sometimes after ten. Had a hard time figuring out what it was, sent in the controller, ended up being the console itself.

If you have a friend with a ps4, try it out.
I've never had it lose sync if it was already on and working. Only if I am turning the system on from standby or if the controller turns off from inactivity.

Maybe you have some signal interfering especially with bluetooth. So have you tried any non-Ps4 bluetooth stuff in this vicinity? If other bluetooth gear is not affected you know thats potentially a PS4/DS4 related problem.

The other way round is to try if your PS4/DS4 is broken, by moving it to another location. Preferably one that has very interferences.

Also this: Fresh out of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz#Bluetooth
The only other bluetooth device I have is my PS3, which I don't have with me currently.

I hope it is just the radio in the DS4. I'll find out in in a few weeks when I can buy the new white DS4.

Padinn

I've been having this issue as well. Noticed that when my tablet isnear my ds4 it disconnects. I would guess its an interfernece issue. I have my router and all next gen systems in the same general area. I've been playing with router settings to see if I can fix it. I have a wndr3700, which is fairly powerful. First noticed the problem getting worse when we moved to our new house, as in the apartment the router was much further away. I may need to explore doing a wireless bridge or something to reduce the issue.

Padinn

I've never had it lose sync if it was already on and working. Only if I am turning the system on from standby or if the controller turns off from inactivity.

The only other bluetooth device I have is my PS3, which I don't have with me currently.

I hope it is just the radio in the DS4. I'll find out in in a few weeks when I can buy the new white DS4.

Just curious if you ever found a fix.

Padinn

Sorry to resurrect this thread for the third time, but I'm sending in my PS4 today for this issue. Has anyone had any success replacing the console? I do have quite a bit of devices in my room where the PS4 is housed (router, Wii U, Xbox One, TV w/ Wifi)....so perhaps it's something that isn't related to the system itself.

i_max

Neo Member
I had the same issue happening to me as well. It had never happened before, it has been random, I finally deleted the controller from my system and re-added them, it hasn't happened since.

TheJLC

One DS4 does that for me sometimes, while the new white one works like a charm every time. Probably DS4 related, from my experience.

Padinn

Well, I got my replacement PS4 in today. Unfortunately for me, Sony sent me one that is basically dead on arrival (barely turns on, crashes at home screen, flickering video then crashing).

Sigh.

From the limited time I've been able to test it, it does look like it helped with this interference issue - so perhaps the bluetooth adapter on my original was dying.

At any rate, this sucks. Already been down 2 weeks without one. Called them and they won't do an advance replacement.

SOCOM_PS3_Bluetooth_headset_1.jpg

This is random but does the PS3 headset work with the PS4?
I put it in pairing mode | PS4 sees it but then gives me an error.

kriskrosbbk

Yesterday I did some router setup changes and changed the channel from 5 to 9 .I started experiencing some input lag and button press misses then DS4 disconnected.Few more times after that,my character was just not responding on my button presses then everything back to normal in 10secs.Massive lag .I am still not sure what went wrong but today I have changed the channel back to 5.
I was sure its PS4 bluetooth issue.But might be the router interferene the DS4/PS4 connection?

I've been getting this quite regularly now and it's getting annoying as it's happening in nearly every game I play. I'm fairly close to my ps4 as well. Don't know why to do. My DS4 doesn't disconnect but it stops responding every now and then.

I might change the channel on my router as mentioned above, not sure what channel it's on but I will soon find out.

If that does nothing, I think the only option I have is to call up Sony.

Lulu23

I had that happening when my PS4 sat next to our router.

My PS4 is right next to my router too. It sits behind my TV. Just changed the wifi channel from 11 to 5. I'll see how I go with that.

Edit: put it on channel 6 now. No issues currently from a quick game.

An update on this. I bought a new PS4 last week and I still have the same issues. So there's definitely a problem with PS4's Bluetooth.

I've turned off my Sky box's wifi and am now using Ethernet for PS4 and it seems better. However, it's not a problem I can reliably replicate. That being said, none of my previous consoles have ever had this problem so whilst the area around my PS4 might be congested with wireless signals, it's still only affecting PS4.

I find it difficult to believe I could have either two PS4's bought over a year apart with the same problem, or three dodgy DS4's.

FHIZ

Do you have a thumb drive in one of the USB ports? I had an issue where just a regular old 3.0 drive, no wireless or anything would absolutely fuck with my controller's input. Seconds long delay between inputs, analog directions being stuck, etc. tried multiple controllers, each fucked with thumb drive in, work perfectly with it out. I've tried to see if anyone has had similar issues, but no one has ever responded with any.

I also have issues with the controller. I think the bluetooth range is rather poor or it succumbs too easily to interference.

On a related (or unrelated, no clue) note, for about a week I've been getting no sound through Remote Play on Vita. It's very weird. Volume is all the way up and the speakers work, since the Vita OS does produce sounds. But on remote play I get nothing. Pretty annoying.

Do you have a thumb drive in one of the USB ports? I had an issue where just a regular old 3.0 drive, no wireless or anything would absolutely fuck with my controller's input. Seconds long delay between inputs, analog directions being stuck, etc. tried multiple controllers, each fucked with thumb drive in, work perfectly with it out. I've tried to see if anyone has had similar issues, but no one has ever responded with any.

Well after changing my wifi channel last week it's screwing up again. I happen to have a USB 3.0 thumb drive in the USB port, just removed it and i will see how i go.

FeiRR

Banned
SOCOM_PS3_Bluetooth_headset_1.jpg

This is random but does the PS3 headset work with the PS4?
I put it in pairing mode | PS4 sees it but then gives me an error.
Sadly no. Great headset... Gave it to a friend who uses it for skyping on PC now.

Interferences can be bad. My Gold headset disconnects briefly when I use my Logitech radio mouse. I had similar problems with two DS3s (random movement) but strangely not all of them.

kriskrosbbk

I had the same issues ,playing with the router channels was messing my DS4 and its inputs.Changing the channel back to default.Zero issues.

Top Bottom