• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO is airing a marathon of The Wire remastered in HD (one season per day, Dec 26-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

This promo apparently just aired on HBO.
(via Arthur Gies of Polygon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpC3JtED-Po&feature=youtu.be

12d52d35f84cce17d7709d04a0480de5.jpg

UPDATE:

HBO PR said:
HBO® Unveils New High-Definition Re-Mastering of Award-Winning Hit Series The Wire®

In the six years that have passed since the conclusion of the HBO series The Wire, the critically acclaimed drama has turned into a worldwide phenomenon that has been hailed as “one of the best and most original series on television in decades” by the New York Times. Now, new and old fans of the series can watch the show like never before thanks to a brand new High-Definition upgrade of all 60 episodes, which will debut in December on HBO Signature® and HBO GO®. The Wire: The Complete Series will be available to own on Digital HD Monday, January 5, 2015 and on Blu-rayTM in Summer 2015.

The entire series has been beautifully re-mastered in 16x9 Full-Frame HD from more than 8,000 reels of original 35mm camera negative, allowing for a tighter fit on widescreen TVs and computer/tablet screens. The original negatives were scanned, edited, dust-busted and color-corrected with great care and attention taken to stay true to the look and feel of the original Standard-Definition 4x3 version.

The Wire: The Complete Series in HD will be available for the first time as a full series purchase at iTunes, Google Play, X-Box Video and Vudu on January 5. Individual episodes and seasons will be available through all of HBO’s Digital HD retailers.

To celebrate the HD launch, HBO Signature will air the entire series consecutively, one season per day starting with season 1 on Friday, December 26 at noon. The marathon will wrap with season 5 on Tuesday, December 30.

This will be the first time The Wire has aired on a linear HBO channel since Season 5 wrapped in 2008, as well as the first time that all five seasons of the entire series have aired consecutively on the network.

Long blog post from David Simon about the HD release:

- The Wire in HD
At the last, I’m satisfied what while this new version of The Wire is not, in some specific ways, the film we first made, it has sufficient merit to exist as an alternate version. There are scenes that clearly improve in HD and in the widescreen format. But, there are things that are not improved. And even with our best resizing, touchups and maneuver , there are some things that are simply not as good. That’s the inevitability here: This new version, is, after all, is one that is presented in an aspect ratio that simply wasn’t intended or serviced by the filmmakers.

Still, being equally honest here, there can be no denying that an ever-greater portion of the television audience has HD widescreen televisions staring at them from across the living room, and that they feel notably oppressed if all of their entertainments do not advantage themselves of the new hardware. It vexes them in the same way that many with color television sets were long ago bothered by the anachronism of black-and-white films, even carefully conceived black-and-white films. For them, The Wire seems frustrating or inaccessible — even more so than we intended it. And, hey, we are always in it to tell people a story, first and foremost. If a new version brings a few more thirsty critters to the water’s edge, then so be it.
Much more via the link.

Jarmel

Banned
Wait what? I thought this wasn't done in HD earlier because the creators wanted the documentary feel and so it's been purposefully left in SD.

Dommo

Big! Blu-Ray incoming? All I want in life right now is a copy of The Wire in HD that I can replay. That would be amazing.

What the fuck

Wait what? I thought this wasn't done in HD earlier because the creators wanted the documentary feel and so it's been purposefully left in SD.

From what I saw on some recent comments on David Simon's blog, it's more that he actually doesn't have any understanding of the fact that you can make an HD transfer from film and keep it 4:3

http://davidsimon.com/introduction2/comment-page-2/#comment-5454

"It was not shot in high-def or letter box. No point. It appears as we intended."
"I know I was offered the chance to go to letterbox and HD by HBO after the third season and I chose to keep the format intact and consistent. And, as I said, I saw HD conversions that were appalling in the U.K. so I steered away. I would not want to go to letterbox as our shot composition was not for letterbox on The Wire. Can you go to HD without going to letterbox in a cost-effective way? Someone told me you couldn’t, that it was a package, but that was many years ago. And again, HBO owns it and has shown no interest yet in converting."
Well, if they crop it, then we will either lose some top and bottom to manufacture the letterbox size, or they are going to simply put it up there with black space on either side of the image. Both outcomes are inferior to the intended imagery of the 4:3. If we were protecting for later 16:9 we would have framed a wider shot in out blocking and background. We did not do so. Certainly not consistently.

I guess I would need to see a transfer and decide, to be sure. Thanks for the education.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/griffin_nick/hbo_the_wire.php

The Wire is shot entirely with Panavision cameras. David Insley let us know that, "These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."

And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."

nomis

I caved and bought the boxed set on DVD because the creator "liked the aesthetic" of 4:3 standard def or some bullshit

Dommo

The whole "4:3 and therefore can't be HD" thing fucking confuses me. In what world do we live in where 4:3 means either a) you can't remaster it in HD without converting to 16:9 or b) there's no point in HD because of its aspect ratio. Like, they're two unrelated things. Resolution should have nothing to do with aspect ratio.

Now, whether HBO decides to "modernize" the look of the show by changing it to 16:9 is another discussion. But there's no reason why that should happen just because it's getting the HD treatment.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Was this on film or tape when originally produced?
Edit: it would suffer if it lost its 4:3 ratio imo

Gonzalez

Banned
So this is what Star Wars fans must have felt like when they re-released the films on VHS in widescreen. Feels like I've been betrayed.

Dommo

Great news and hopefully it not 4:3. The fuck was all that about.

Regardless of your preference of aspect ratio, changing it after one has already been decided on is a very bad move - either by expanding the frame (which I'm pretty sure is only possible in the first few seasons because they were shot in 16:9 then cropped afterwards) or by cropping and zooming the 4:3 image. It's bad because there's already been a decided composition in mind for every single shot - The Wire actually has some really good compositions. Switching it to 16:9 would fuck with the program.

IMDB says film but I could've sworn it was video... If film count me in to double-dip on the inevitable blurays!

Definitely shot on delicious film. And yeah, it would look incredible in HD.

They better not crop it. The Simpsons marathon going on right now cropped to widescreen is ridiculous. I'd like to think HBO would treat their stuff better than that.

The whole "4:3 and therefore can't be HD" thing fucking confuses me. In what world do we live in where 4:3 means either a) you can't remaster it in HD without converting to 16:9 or b) there's no point in HD because of its aspect ratio. Like, they're two unrelated things. Resolution should have nothing to do with aspect ratio.

Now, whether HBO decides to "modernize" the look of the show by changing it to 16:9 is another discussion. But there's no reason why that should happen just because it's getting the HD treatment.

Because 1920x1080 is a 16:9 ratio, not 4:3?

PlayDat

I just hope this makes it to Amazon streaming and Blu-Ray.

HBO please keep it at 4:3! Reruns of Seinfield are cropped for the HD version and I hate it.

Dommo

So what? The majority of films you watch on BluRay (or anywhere in HD) aren't in the 16:9 aspect ratio. They're 2.35:1, so that's wider than 16:9. Are you saying they should be cropped to 16:9 too? No, you present it in its original ratio and deal with the black bars.

Then the actual viewable image would be something like 1440x1080 with black bars on the sides. It makes no difference, there are a ton of 4:3 1080p blu rays just like there are for widescreen movies that aren't 16:9

They better not crop it. The Simpsons marathon going on right now cropped to widescreen is ridiculous. I'd like to think HBO would treat their stuff better than that.

i'm pretty sure HBO has already aired cropped widescreen versions of the show before. I need more details on this though. Specifically if it's an actual new transfer or just an upscale.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
oh man this is awesome.

Keep it in 4:3, no reason why it can't be 1080p with black bars.
Just do what the original series Star Trek blu-ray does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom