• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't there a Nintendo-themed rhythm game?

Forkball

I've been playing the second Taiko no Tatsujin game for 3DS and I love it. It has a good variety of songs, including songs from other video games like Monster Hunter, Idolm@ster, Soul Calibur etc. I was a bit surprised to see no Nintendo songs considering it is exclusive to the 3DS. There is a Pokemon song, but it's from the anime. I recently found out that in the previous Wii games there were Mario songs and yes even a New Super Mario Bros. medley with BAHs.

Then it hit me: why hasn't Nintendo released a Nintendo-themed rhythm game? Many incredible composers have worked for Nintendo throughout the years and there are dozens of classic gaming tunes from Nintendo games. This is especially apparent with Smash Bros., which have dozens of great songs and remixes. Nintendo is basically just sitting on hundreds of songs that could fit perfectly in a rhythm game.

I think Nintendo could do something creative with the idea. Square's Theatrhythm series is great because not only does it have fantastic Final Fantasy songs, it emulates the feel of Final Fantasy battles. Rhythm games in general are getting more complex and adding modes that go beyond beating a score. Considering Nintendo emphasize both touch screen and buttons, they could focus on one aspect or figure out how to incorporate both of them.

The main issue with this is mixing franchises, which they typically don't like to do except for Smash. But I think even a Mario-only or Zelda-only rhythm game would still be very appealing.

@MUWANdo

Banned
OU8GjtM.jpg

Oh, how quickly we forget.

Zalman

I think Donkey Konga is the closest we ever got. Those games had a ton of crappy non-Nintendo songs too though.

Why isn't there a Nintendo-themed rhythm-game
Why isn't there a Nintendo-themed kart racing game
Why isn't there a Nintendo-themed anything

Foshy

DDR Mario Mix was the shit. It was pretty easy but it gave us this amazing remix of Bowser's Castle so it's awesome in my book.

Also Donkey Konga. Unfortunately never bought it myself, but I used to play it a lot at my friends' house.

Zhao_Yun

Isn't it a general theme that Nintendo could do more with their amazing soundtrack library? I was always asking myself why they don't release official soundtrack CDs for their games. Other companies like Square Enix release quite a lot of soundtrack and arrangement CDs and it seems to be profitable so I don't see why Nintendo doesn't want a piece of the cake as well.

I have a hard time imagining "Smash Bros. only with music" would be able to outdo these games. Following a bunch of scrolling arrows and buttons with some nostalgiabait imagery is child's play compared to content within what we actually got

And I say that as someone who eats up the nostalgia of Smash Bros with two giant spoons

Durock

There's also Elite Beat Agents, that one game Game Freak did on the 3DS eshop, and the upcoming King Dedede game for the 3ds eshop as well. Annnnd Elektroplankton maybe? Not sure if that one counts.

OP has a point. One of the best things about Smash Bros is listening to all the best music tracks from Nintendo franchises. Take all that and put it into a Theathrhythm games and I'll should to Nintendo: shut up and take my gold coins and rupees!

SigSig

Why is nobody reading the OP?
I'd love something like this, but I'm not sure about the gameplay. Classic keybeat games are too "hardcore" for their audience, a decent dancing game won't be possible due to the Wii U hardware and Technika/Cytus/jubeat/Reflecbeat style gameplay can't be done because the Wii U gamepad sucks.
Something like Ouendan would work, is easy to understand and learn and yet generic enough to adapt, but maybe too generic to be a Nintendo 1st party title.

ITT we confuse "Nintendo themed" with "Nintendo developed."

Man, I have some really fond memories of Donkey Konga. I think that model, of mixing classic themes with licensed music, is the best approach. I like a variety of genres in my music games.

SigSig

Donkey Konga and DDR Mario Mix seem to fit the OP.
I have no idea about Rhythm Heaven

These games are a decade old and haven't had any follow ups in the last generation and in the current gen so far.
Even then Donkey Konga had few Nintendo songs and Mario Mix was... bad (and also not developed by Nintendo)

Fandangox

I think Forkball is asking for a rhythm game that has multiple nintendo ips songs in it, not a single music/rhythm game of one franchise (such as DK, or Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix,

Murrah

Banned
Harmoknight has a few Pokemon songs in it, which makes sense considering it's done by GameFreak. And the Dedede rhythm game in Kirby Triple Deluxe is actually really great. I think if they were to do it that would be the best way; small downloadable game or mini game inside another game, and the platforming elements from both make perfect sense for a Nintendo themed rhythm game

rjc571

Banned
Nintendo releases an amazing game with Mario in it ---> "Why can't Nintendo come up with new IPs?"

Nintendo releases an amazing game with Mario not in it (i.e. Rhythm Heaven) ---> "Why isn't there a Nintendo-themed rhythm game?"

confession time:
i'm so bad at Rhythm Heaven on the Wii, i barely beat the first stage before giving up.

I'm pretty good at Guitar Hero but without the visual clues, i'm shit.

The people at Nintendo in charge of their IP management work in mysterious ways. Maybe none of the producers are interested in creating such a product. Or maybe they haven't come up with a satisfying (to them) way to create it. Or maybe it's already in the works. Who knows. Nintendo is generally pretty bad at letting people enjoy their music though, I'm not even sure if they release any official soundtracks. The Pokémon OSTs on iTunes for example are managed by the Pokémon Company.

I'd certainly welcome it though. Theatrhythm is one of my favourite rhythm games to a great part because it takes you through the history of Final Fantasy. A rhythm game that lets you play songs of all their major franchises would be amazing.

Luigiv

The people at Nintendo in charge of their IP management work in mysterious ways. Maybe none of the producers are interested in creating such a product. Or maybe they haven't come up with a satisfying (to them) way to create it. Or maybe it's already in the works. Who knows. Nintendo is generally pretty bad at letting people enjoy their music though, I'm not even sure if they release any official soundtracks. The Pokémon OSTs on iTunes for example are managed by the Pokémon Company.

I'd certainly welcome it though. Theatrhythm is one of my favourite rhythm games to a great part because it takes you through the history of Final Fantasy. A rhythm game that lets you play songs of all their major franchises would be amazing.

They do, but only in Japan.

The US sorta get gypped in Donkey Konga when it comes to Nintendo songs. If you look at the EU and JP tracklists, there's a ton of music from Melee playable. Donkey Konga is kinda mediocre, but it's there.

You already mentioned Taiko, but it's worth noting that it actually has more Nintendo music than just that. The Wii U version has two tracks from Pokemon XY, Balloon Fight, Dr. Mario, Zelda, and Famicom Remix. Plus, Pokemon BW2 in the arcade version.

Other than that (and other examples like DDR Mario Mix and HarmoKnight, already mentioned), the Daigasso! Band Brothers series has a mess of Nintendo music, but it's kinda a weird case because, other than the first game, it's all community made. DX has a more interesting variety, but it's a bit harder to get a hold of now because of Nintendo Wi-Fi being down. Band Bros P is still kicking, though, and you can see the Nintendo tracks available for it here (plus, some DX music is still available, though not all).

Malajax

The US sorta get gypped in Donkey Konga when it comes to Nintendo songs. If you look at the EU and JP tracklists, there's a ton of music from Melee playable. Donkey Konga is kinda mediocre, but it's there.

You already mentioned Taiko, but it's worth noting that it actually has more Nintendo music than just that. The Wii U version has two tracks from Pokemon XY, Balloon Fight, Dr. Mario, Zelda, and Famicom Remix. Plus, Pokemon BW2 in the arcade version.

Other than that (and other examples like DDR Mario Mix and HarmoKnight, already mentioned), the Daigasso! Band Brothers series has a mess of Nintendo music, but it's kinda a weird case because, other than the first game, it's all community made. DX has a more interesting variety, but it's a bit harder to get a hold of now because of Nintendo Wi-Fi being down. Band Bros P is still kicking, though, and you can see the Nintendo tracks available for it here (plus, some DX music is still available, though not all).

*sigh* one day, I'm going to have to import a JP Wii U just for the taiko games, huh?

*sigh* one day, I'm going to have to import a JP Wii U just for the taiko games, huh?

all of them but the pokemon tracks are time exclusive free dlc that expired in april

but they might show up again someday in another version. the second 3DS version is still getting DLC, for instance

They already have some.

The correct question is, "Why isn't there a Sega-themed rhythm game?" They have so many awesome OSTs to pull from and it's probably the closest some of their mascots will ever get to a new game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They already have some.

The correct question is, "Why isn't there a Sega-themed rhythm game?" They have so many awesome OSTs to pull from and it's probably the closest some of their mascots will ever get to a new game.

Because Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure bombed, beside the Sega we all once knew and loved is dead.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I have a hard time imagining "Smash Bros. only with music" would be able to outdo these games. Following a bunch of scrolling arrows and buttons with some nostalgiabait imagery is child's play compared to content within what we actually got

And I say that as someone who eats up the nostalgia of Smash Bros with two giant spoons

What does this post mean? What is it talking about?

confession time:
i'm so bad at Rhythm Heaven on the Wii, i barely beat the first stage before giving up.

I'm pretty good at Guitar Hero but without the visual clues, i'm shit.

Your TV probably has a lot of input lag. If you've got a PC with a good monitor and you can emulate it, the delay is usually much smaller.

MicH

This thread reminds me I have to rebuy Rhythm Heaven for DS as I lost my copy. Thankfully it's really cheap! Awesome game

Top Bottom